Employers’ Q&As

1) BEFORE the Fair

• How do employers register and pay for the Career Fair? Employers can register through the UBC Career Fair registration portal (https://ubc-csm.symplicity.com/employers/index.php/pid722179?signin_tab=0&signin_tab=0) with registration fees paid here: https://payment.teach.educ.ubc.ca/career-fair-registration/.  
  • How many UBC teacher candidates are invited to attend, and what elementary cohorts and secondary subject areas and program are represented? 740 UBC teacher candidates have been invited to attend. They represent teacher candidates from the elementary, middle years and secondary teacher education programs attending the UBC Vancouver campus, the UBC West Kootenay Teacher Education Program [WKTEP] campus, and NITEP Field Centres.
    Our secondary teacher candidates also specialize in these 21 teachable areas, and elementary teacher candidates are represented by these 11 cohorts.
  • What other program options and streams will be represented in the teacher candidates we will meet?
  • Will there be support for employers on the day of the Fair ? Yes. There will be an employer Zoom support team on January 21, 2022 from 9:00 – 11:00 AM.  You can access them via this Zoom connection information:Join Zoom Meeting
    https://ubc.zoom.us/j/67137141088?pwd=VlpzVC9pd3ZjN1ZRelRGdnB6M2VvZz09
    Meeting ID: 671 3714 1088
    Passcode: 452270
  • Is there an upcoming employer training session planned? Yes.  The final employer training session is  Jan 13, 2022 3:30-4:30 PM  using this Zoom connection information:Join Zoom Meeting
    https://ubc.zoom.us/j/65128787815?pwd=S0RINUJLUnZoUXFQM0dGcmtqY0g4Zz09
    Meeting ID: 651 2878 7815
    Passcode: 694011
  • How do we pay?  Please pay through the UBC Teacher Education office website: https://payment.teach.educ.ubc.ca/education-career-fair/ Do not pay through the Simplicity Website.
  • Can an Employer pay by wire transfer?  Yes however note that it can take 4 to 6 weeks for UBC to process the transfer and provide the employer with a receipt.
  • Am I able to obtain copy of my invoice and/or paid receipt?  Yes. A copy of the unpaid invoice can be accessed by logging into the Career Fair Employer Login page , and clicking on ‘Accounts’.  The original paid invoice is automatically sent to you via email when you successfully pay through the TEO Payment Page (please check your email junk folder as sometimes it ends up there). Please contact the Career Fair coordinator, Keith McPherson, if you wish to have a second copy sent to you.
  • When/Where do I enter these Zoom URLS?  These are entered into the “Meeting Instructions” box when registering each individual representative working the online Career Fair.  The Group Meeting URL is entered in the “Instructions” box when entering the Group Chat information.
  • How many unique Zoom links do I need to enter when our organization has, for example, two simultaneous recruiters doing 1:1 meetings, and one group meeting in the afternoon?  The system requires a unique video-chat software URL (e.g., Zoom, MS Teams, etc.) for each of your 1:1 presenters/recruiters, and a unique video-chat link for the group chat (for the sake of brevity, from this point forward I’ll refer to all video-chat software as ‘Zoom’). So in your case,  you would require 3 unique Zoom URLs – 1 Zoom URL for each presenter (for a total of 2 different Zoom URLs) and 1 more for the group.
  • Can I attend the career Fair using a cell phone?  Technically it may be possible but not recommended as each representative will need to move visually between the CareerOnline queuing screen and their Zoom screen. We recommend reps use a computer, preferably one with a large screen or multiple screens.
  • We were unable to attend the [Date TBA] Career Fair presentations, and will be unable to attend the [Date TBA] Career Fair session.  Is there a recording we can view? Yes you can view the January 5 recording here: https://youtu.be/KsCKdfL6g4Q
  • When registering individual recruiters, why is it important to fill in the “Additional information” form, and what do I enter?  When adding in individual recruiters, this is the area where you add in the phone number or email of each recruiter.  This is important in case you need students to connect with you beyond your scheduled meeting time or if something goes sideways with the Career Fair software or the connection, and you need to finish your conversation with the teacher candidate.
  • What are some key tips for a successful virtual Career Fair? 
    1. Employers should arrive one hour early to set up and test their virtual Career Fair booth.
    2. Employers should keep to their interview times (5 minutes per teacher candidates recommended) as time will move quickly.
    3. Provide a group presentation so you can reach out to more people, use images in your group Zoom or MS Teams presentations to bring your job opportunity alive, and leave time for questions.
    4. Employers should review all training videos.

2) DURING the Fair

• How much meeting time should an employer provide each teacher candidate? For career fairs the size of the UBC Education Career Fair, Simplicity recommends employers budget 5 minutes per teacher candidate. Of course an employer can take more time if there is no other teacher candidates waiting in the employer’s virtual queue.
  • Help!  I need to add a person or group chat and can’t add or update my 1:1 or group chat URLs! Please send your updates to teo.careerfair@ubc.ca 
  • Can I have more than one employer representative taking 1:1 chats?  Yes, however you will need to provide a unique zoom link in the instructions for each unique representative.
  • I understand that there’ll be 1:1 chats in addition to group chats.  However, when I registered for the Career Fair, I’m asked me to provide instructions.  I am unsure what instructions to provide.   When registering, employers are asked to provide instructions for: a) teacher candidates entering a 1:1 chat, and b) teacher candidates entering a whole group chat. These instructions must provide teacher candidates with a Zoom/MS Teams link for 1:1 chat and a different zoom link for the whole group chats. The employer training videos will detail the steps for setting up 1:1 chats and group chats.
  • I can see we are using two systems (UBC’s CareersOnline and my Zoom account). How do I juggle these on my computer screen?  We recommend that on January 21 each representative log into both their Zoom/MS Teams/etc. URL, and their UBC CareersOnline account.  We recommend they keep these two windows open side by side in order to view the student queue (Careers Online) and to speak to the students (Zoom etc).
  • I have a spinning wheel and cannot access Simplicity on the day of the fair?  What can I do?  Sometimes the technology interferes with your computer’s ability to connect to Simplicity.  Try the following:
      • Shut down and restart your browser
      • Try another browser (Firefox, Chrome Safari) – NOTE the MS Explorer browser does not function with Simplicity
      • Update your browser
      • Restart your chat software (Zoom, MS Teams etc)
      • Update your chat software
      • Turn off your ad blocker
      • Try another computer
  • Should I register for the UBC Education Career Fair 2022 if my organization does not have access to Zoom or MS Teams (or other video conferencing software)? We do not recommend an organization join this year’s Career Fair if they do not have access to video conferencing software (or they have not become accustomed to using said video conferencing software).  If this is the case for you and your organization, please email Keith McPherson for alternative methods of connecting with UBC teacher candidates.

3) AFTER the Fair

• How do I give the TEO feedback about our Career Fair experience? Please complete the 2022 Career Feedback form here:

[TBA]