What You Really Need to Know About Your First Few Days on Campus

Bit of a ridiculous title, I know. But it gets the point across, and its true! This morning as I write this post, it is my third day on campus and while classes haven’t even started, I have DEFINITELY learned some important things about res life.

1. Don’t wear flats. Slash heels slash crappy shoes of any descriptionMove-in day may not be AS bad (unless you end up in a house with no elevators…sucks to be you) but for the most part there are volunteers helping you move your stuff and there’s not a ridiculous amount of walking. Also, if you’re like me, you will spend 4 hours setting up your room and making it perfect – i.e. dorm coffee breaks and sitting on the bed. But after that, be prepared to do ALL. THE. WALKING. My first full day on campus I walked 18 000 steps after my usual morning run. I think it’s pretty obvious that my legs and feet despise me today. And for the record, 2/3 of those steps were in crappy flats and the rest flip-flops. Not my finest life decision. Just choose the converse over wedges as you wander and explore and all will be fine and dandy.

2. Be wary of heavy foods in the dining hall. Case in point: this morning for breakfast, I had cottage cheese with berries, and then added a crap ton of frozen mango. Well, the mango turned out to be pretty gross AND made my meal cost $7! That may not sound like a ton, but I figured out I need to spend around $10-$13/day to not run out of my meal dollars SO that is not going to work for me. Worst case scenario I live on oats and PB made with my dorm kettle for a few weeks…but really, just avoid heavy food.

3. Don’t apologize! Okay, if you run straight into someone or turn into a maniac on them, you should apologize. But you should never apologize for being yourself. 🙂 It’s cheesy but SO TRUE. Almost everyone on my floor went to this frat toga party the first night and it was the LAST thing I wanted to do. Move-in was long and draining, not to mention the fact that I am probably the only university student in existence that doesn’t like partying. But I told myself I HAD to and felt all weird and lame. Newsflash: You moved out! Do whatever the heck you want and don’t apologize for it. Unless, obviously, you really should. Common sense, that’s all I’m asking.

I have no advice on classes yet – that insanity starts Wednesday. Computer science is required for my program, so…yeah, pray for me. Thanks for reading!