Confessions of a Group Exercise Newbie (All the Free Things)!

Hi, my name is Emma and I like free stuff.

Free food (obviously), free hugs and FREE WORKOUT CLASSES! That one is a biggie. I definitely took advantage of the UBC rec open house this week and I am now here to tell you which ones are worth your ever-so valuable time.

ZUMBA. I would like to inform you that I had been to negative dance classes before this experience. I run – a lot. I occasionally lift things. I’ve been known to play sports and go to yoga. But DANCE?! Yeah not in this lifetime, buddy.  But by miracle of the powers that be, I actually showed up to the 6:30pm Zumba class on Monday evening. My thought process:

“I’m excited!”

“Wow this is complicated.”

“Are people looking at me?”

“I ROCK!”

“It’s over?!”

Even though you’ll find my picture next to “World’s Worst Dancer” in the dictionary I still loved this class. The instructor was fun and the time FLEW by! 6:30pm Monday/Wednesday @ SRC

Cycle Boot Camp: Because what else does one do on a Tuesday morning than wake up at 6am to go work out?! This was seriously the week of firsts – I had never been to a spin class before this! I am basically a genius because I picked the perfect one for my first time – only 25 minutes of spin before 25 minutes of ass-kicking shoulders/triceps/back. That superwoman feeling that lasts all day after working out in the morning = my jam so I may be a little biased. But this was the BOMB! 7am Tuesdays/Thursdays @ SRC

Belly Dancing: Yep…I actually got roped into this. While Zumba was more of a “shake it” workout, this was a full-on LEARN TO BE A BELLYDANCER class. I thought I sucked at Zumba?! This was pretty freaking hilarious. We’ve established that I am basically a joke when it comes to dancing and in a situation that technical…not a good combo. The teacher was really talented buuuuut I do not intend to return. One hour of “chest raises” in a room with windows for walls is enough for me. 6pm Wednesday @ Ponderosa

Early Riser Boot Camp: Like I said before. Early morning endorphins complete my life, so I knew before even showing up that this was for me. The instructor said that he went “easy” on us which is a little frightening considering this was a GOOD workout. It was a full-body circuit that we went through twice after a warmup and IT WAS SO FUN!! This was definitely my favourite. You can tell that the instructor SO knows what he is doing (he is super fit) and I love the morning workout crew. If it wasn’t such awkward timing with my class schedule I would 100% sign up. 7am Monday/Wednesday @ SRC.

Yoga will also be attended tonight! 7pm hatha @ Ponderosa. I am always trying to force myself to become a yogi and have failed more times than I can count…maybe this will be the day? I shall update.

Moral of the story: UBC REC ROCKS! No they aren’t paying me. But I had SO much fun this week trying out all the classes and not only feel like a million bucks, but have zero regrets about the million hot dogs/burgers consumed. (does it make it okay if they were free?!)