Undergraduate Thesis

Forest-Water Nexus: Interactions between forests and the hydrological cycle on both local and global scales

A senior thesis as a part of my Division III work studying forest hydrology at Hampshire College (2019).  My research was advised by Christina Cianfrani and Blair McLaughlin at Hampshire College with support from Sarah Hews, David Ellison, and Robin Sears.

Thesis summary

I have broken my Division III research into five chapters. The first is an introduction into how I have developed my interests in the larger subject of forest hydrology and lead into a deeper literature review of the importance of this topic. Then, in my second chapter, I elaborate on the research that I have started where I look at water use of black birches and eastern hemlocks presenting the introduction, methods, expected results, and implication of my process in using sap flow to research the potential impacts of the hemlock woolly adelgid on New England forest water use. Although I was unable to complete this project, I outline the work I have done throughout my division III in hopes of continuing my work after I graduate.  In my third chapter, I present a manuscript of  forest-wind-water research using geospatial analysis software which I am preparing to submit to a peer-review journal after I graduate. For my concluding chapter, I tie together my different research topics and explain how my work during my Division III has prepared me for a future in forest hydrology and my continued pursuit of researching how forest land use influences the water cycle.

Read more

Undergraduate Thesis

Division III at Hampshire College

“Seeing the Forest for the Trees, and Much More”

• An article written by Anne Pinkerton discussing my thesis focus and experiences during the Division III process at Hampshire College.