Writing Tips

Hello 301;

Please Note: Be sure to switch up peer review partners for each new review; this will ensure the process stays interesting and enlightening.

Writing Tips: the following are the most common writing tips for Unit One:

Try using bullet points in place of ‘chunks of text.”

End your reviews with a brief concluding sentence that includes a concise bullet list of suggested edits

• The goal is conciseness; to be clear and concise; avoid big chunks of text
  • Removing pronouns: “I’ / “me”/ “you”/ “yours” will improve style and increase both conciseness and improve tone.

Eliminate all unnecessary words and information you can assume your reader knows. Begin by removing as many pronouns (“I”, “me”, “you”) as possible and always prefer nouns over verbs:

Example of too many pro-nouns and unnecessary words: “After a quick glance of the summary you provided, I was able to contextualize what this definition was going to be about. Although I have not come across this exact definition before, I have in fact heard about the processes in order to avoid a formal litigation. With my first observation I noticed that your visual provided a nice insight of the steps and types of alternative dispute resolutions’. I also thought that the compare and contrast table was a nice touch for readers, as it shows the benefits and cons of each option. However, I have a couple of questions concerning terminology that was part of the alternative methodology paragraph.” (101 words)

Rewrite removing pro-nouns: After a quick glance, the context for the definition is clear; this is a process for avoiding formal litigation. The visual provides useful insight on the process for alternative dispute resolutions and the ‘compare and contrast’ section effectively demonstrates the benefits and cons of each option. There are a couple of notes concerning terminology in the methodology section. (57 words)

Peer Review organization – you should create sub-titles for each and every part of the document you are reviewing, not just the elements that need editing.

Work with details – Avoid generalities – stick to the details.

Please use correct titles for all files. Imagine if I received 35 files titled: “Peer Review.” I would have to rename all of the files. See the lesson instructions: read all instructions slowly and carefully.

Avoid long awkward phrases and eliminate all unnecessary words:

Example:

“and put all the definitions together and make brief explanations there so that your audience could know the big picture of agroecosystem at the beginning, which might helps them understand the following explanation better.” (34 words)

Rewrite – taking out the pro-nouns

“…. and  put the definitions together as a brief introduction to the big picture, this will assist in understanding the following descriptions. (21 words)

Example: “  From the work cited part, I notice that you cited three academic sources, which makes your definition much more convincing. However, I only see one explicit quotation in the article. Explicitly indicates where the other two sources are used would be more professional.” (44 words)

Rewrite: The Works Cited list has three academic sources, however, only one source is cited. Perhaps include more citations. (18 words)