Peer Review of Three Definition Assignment: “1.3 Neuroleptics”

January 27th, 2019
Title of Expanded Definition: 1.3 Neuroleptics
Author: Catherine Keye Sarmiento
Review: Beenish Fatima

Three questions:
1. What are some examples of neuroleptics, as in what sort of drugs that audience might be familiar with is a neuroleptic?
2. What are some side effects of neuroleptics (I realize one is mentioned but I’m inquiring about a more comprehensive list)?
3. Asides from alleviating symptoms of schizophrenia what are some other disorders or conditions does this drug treat?

Reading Catherine’s assignment, I was able to understand the material on my first reading. She used simple language to explain a complex and technical term. My biology background does not fit the intended audience of non-technical reader, nonetheless I believe someone without an in-depth understanding of pharmacology and the brain would still be comprehend this explanation. The assignment is accurate in its explanation and is composed of simple diction, effective visuals, and appropriate level of details.

The purpose of the definition is not clearly defined here, as there is no outline of reading situation provided. However, the definition reads as if it is intended to educate a student or professionals interested in the drug function and use, so that might be the purpose, but more clarification is needed. As I mentioned previously I have the technical background to understand terms used in this definition, but viewing this definition from a non-technical perspective, there are a few words that require some background knowledge, like postsynaptic receptors. I suggest replacing these terms with simpler but analogous words, if this is not possible I recommend providing a brief explanation.

Additionally, when explaining function and use of a specific type of drug it might beneficial to compare it to another similar commonly used drug to familiarize the reader. This comparison would be an effective method to spark the readers interest and would allow them to make connections.

Lastly, your organizational method was fluid and easy to understand. Your subtitles provide insight allowing readers to predict what the intended purpose of the following paragraphs. From my reading I think you have used the following expansion strategies in your definition: visuals, operating principal, comparison and contrast (comparison of conventional and atypical), and examples (conventional and atypical). The most effective element of this document was the visual, it ties in the whole definition, provides a clear overview of the drug’s function, it is easy to understand and has a clear intended purpose.

Overall, the expansion strategies were appropriately applied and were effective in explaining the term. If I was an editor I would approve this definition but after the incorporation of the minor revisions I have suggested in this review.