Research Proposal- Taylor Smith

To: Dr. Erika Paterson

From: Taylor Smith

Date: January 28, 2019

Subject: Proposal for the Introduction of a Charity Program Within Milestones Bar and Grill to Utilize Excessive Product Waste

Introduction:

It is no secret that the cost of food waste in the restaurant industry is quite high, which is something both management and staff should pay close attention to each and every day. As Milestones receives the products needed to execute menu items for the hundreds of guests that frequent the restaurant on a weekly basis, oversupply sometimes happens, which results in the disposal of product that have not been used as they pass their best before date’s. This is an occurrence that restaurant manager’s and staff look to avoid, as the disposal of product damages the restaurant’s profit margins.

As an established business within the community it should be within Milestones’ best interests to look to give back to the community that they are a part of. Charitable donations for those less fortunate individuals within the community is a great place to start, and by utilizing food waste within the restaurant Milestones could look to feed those who cannot afford to pay for their own meals on a regular basis.

Statement of Problem:

As managers ordering product is our responsibility, and we need to do so in a way that costs as little as possible, which will ensure profitability. Food costs make up a large portion of Milestones’ profit margins, and due to the unpredictable nature of the restaurant industry over supply of food product is sometimes unavoidable. There are times where restaurants expect to be busy, and to avoid running out of product there are attempts to order more product than usual, however, sometimes those predictions are incorrect resulting in products either passing their expiry date or getting dangerously close to the date. This is just one way restaurants are losing profit due to food costs. Another way food costs can be affected is through the incorrect execution of a particular dish. For example, when a steak is overcooked in the restaurant industry, often the steak has to be thrown out.

The problem with the disposal of product due to over-ordering, or improper execution is that instead of wasting these products restaurants should look to utilize them before they expire rather than throwing them out for nothing at all.   

Proposed Solution:

Of course, the first step to avoid this problem is to order properly, but as mentioned already the restaurant industry is unpredictable, and unfortunately these instances are at times unavoidable. Instead, Milestones should look towards an outlet of charity to ensure these otherwise wasted products do not go to waste completely. By being active and noticing products that are nearing their expiry dates, managers and staff can put aside these products and make large batches of soups, stews, and other types of recipes that allow for the mass production of finished food, which can be distributed to soup kitchens or other similar organizations that give back to those less fortunate. This way, rather than simply throwing product into the trash, Milestones can give back to the community they are a part of.

Scope:

To assess the feasibility of addressing food waste within the restaurant industry, specifically within Milestones Bar and Grill, I plan to pursue the following areas of inquiry:

1. What is the average yearly cost of food waste within Milestones?
  2. Specifically, what products are wasted the most, and vice versa what products are wasted the least?
  3. Feasibility of implementing a new waste management program that caters to the proposed charitable efforts.
  4. What percentage of the community is in need of the help charity organizations offer to provide those less fortunate with daily meals?
  5. What are the benefits Milestones can enjoy for implementing a new waste management program?
  6. If there are any cons to this kind of charity program what are they, and how can these cons be avoided?

Methods:

My primary data sources will include specific details pertaining to the profit margins of Milestones, while also detailing the waste costs for the previous year. I will also outline personal consultations with my co-workers that pertain to the level of food waste they see on a daily basis. In order to better understand the scope of how many individuals are in need of charity organizations, I will conduct interviews with employees within these organizations to better understand the need for extra assistance from the restaurant industry. To understand the difficulties that those less fortunate individuals in our community must face, I will also look to interview, conduct surveys, etc., with those individuals directly, which will help to provide their opinion on the help Milestones could provide.

Secondary sources pertaining to both (a) waste management within the restaurant industry and (b) the need for charity organizations within our community will be researched and outlined in accordance to the proper citations needed to avoid plagiarism, giving credit to any thoughts that are not originally my own.

My Qualifications:

I have worked within the restaurant industry for over 4 years, and due to my dedication within the industry I have found myself advancing rapidly. I am currently a kitchen manager at Milestones Bar and Grill, and I believe my extensive hands on experience will go a long way in the proposal I am offering. Also, I am one semester away from completing my Bachelor of Arts degree (BA), as I will graduate from the University of British Columbia (UBC) in May, 2019. My academic background provides me with the proper tools to research and present a proposal in a clear and professional manner. 

Conclusion:

The waste management program that is already in place works well in recording what products have been wasted and how much profit margins are affected as a result of this waste. Through strategic ordering, and careful execution when following recipes, our waste management program seeks to alleviate the damage excessive waste can have on our profit margins. What this program does not address is what to do when these instances are unavoidable. My proposal seeks to rectify this problem, as I suggest that engaging in charity efforts will allow for food waste to go towards feeding those who cannot afford to eat regularly, rather than simply throwing our unused food away. Thank you for taking the time to consider my proposal, upon your approval I will begin my research right away.

One comment on “Research Proposal- Taylor Smith
  1. erikapaterson says:

Thank you for this proposal – this is an excellent idea well thought-out. I look forward to reading your Progress Report. Enjoy!