Email Memorandum: LinkedIn Best Practices

MEMORANDUM

To: CARE Team Members
From: Erica Friedman, CARE Team member
Date: February 8th, 2019
Subject: LinkedIn Best Practices

LinkedIn offers incalculable opportunities for growing your professional network. I researched how to maximize LinkedIn’s potential, and want to share my findings with you.

LinkedIn’s 10 best practices are:

1. GOALS: define them (career opportunities, expand professional network, etc.).
  1. STRATEGY: should align with your goals. Consider profile design, content, and connections.
  1. PRESENTATION:
  • LinkedIn is not Facebook/Instagram/Twitter. Don’t get personal; be respectful and professional in comments and group discussions.
  • use a photo that can be used in a professional environment.
  1. BACKGROUND INFORMATION:
  • highlight work experience, skills, etc. that are relevant to your goals. Read job descriptions in your field, or look at the profiles of industry leaders; use keywords in your profile to increase the likelihood of appearing in searches.
  • be cautious with personal interests; discrimination and stigma exist on LinkedIn.
  1. SKILLS: choose at least five. Add them according to strategic importance. Invite connections to endorse them.
  1. BE POSITIVE: highlight achievements, especially publications and projects.
  1. CONNECTIONS: build a wide network of people who can help you achieve your goals. Look for people in your field, or those that have mutual connections.
  1. CONNECTION REQUESTS: personalize requests; if you don’t know them personally, add why you want to connect. When people you don’t know want to connect, look at their profile; it’s OK to decline.
  1. QUALITY VS. QUANTITY: grow your network with people who are diverse in experience and backgrounds. Connections impact the content in your feed.
  1. BE ACTIVE: complete your profile; add new connections, and update your profile with new achievements, skills, etc. Engage in group discussions and share updates.

I hope that these 10 best LinkedIn practices will be helpful. Good luck building your profile and please let me know if you have any questions. Thank you.

References:

Life-long learner, mother of 3, working in the nonprofit sector for many years (with a hiatus as a yoga instructor). Originally from Toronto, like many of my peers at the time, I migrated to Vancouver (and UBC) in the 1990's. (Yes. I'm an Oldie.) 18 years ago, I set off on what was supposed to be a one-year journey to Asia and well, I guess I'm still on that journey. I live in Tel Aviv, Israel with my husband (he's British), our children, and a frisky cat named Mitzi.