Assignment 3.1: Peer Review of Writing with You-Attitude for Jennifer MacFarlane

TO: Jennifer MacFarlane
FROM: Brent Hanover
DATE: March 5, 2019
SUBJECT: Peer Review of “You-Attitude” Email Memo to Evan Crisp

Hi Jennifer,

I have reviewed the email sent to Evan Crisp regarding his use of “You-Attitude”, well done! It is clear that there was considerable time and effort invested to help his email be taken seriously by his reviewer. I have made some notes below that I believe will be useful in making the review even stronger.

First Impressions

• The email is very non-confrontational and reads like you truly want what is best for him. The writing style critiques his writing without being condescending, good work!
  • A big wall of text can be difficult to read; consider breaking up the memo into sections for better clarity.
  • Placing the greeting of the email on a separate line like what was done for the farewell phrase yields a better overall layout and makes the email look more structured.

Use of You-Attitude

• The tips listed are sometimes worded in the imperative which can sound authoritative and off-putting, for example “address them” or “[a]void imperative statements”. Rephrasing these sentences using the present participle (“addressing” or “avoiding”) is a more non-confrontational method of relaying information.
  • Using “you” or “your” in the body of an email can often be misconstrued as confrontational. Removing these instances can help convey a more friendly tone.
  • Good work with successfully avoiding using “I” in the email’s body.
  • The writing style often reads like there is appreciation of the person’s work. This makes them much more receptive to criticisms.

Grammar

• There are a couple of comma errors in the introductory paragraph; reworking the grammar will increase clarity of the document.
  • It looks like that the word “that” should be included in the final bullet point following or replacing the word “them”.

Expression

• Two of the sentences in the introductory paragraph are very similar and could be combined to avoid redundancy.
  • Consider rephrasing the conclusion to remove information that is not directly applicable to Evan’s email.

Taking these points into consideration will make an already-strong email into an even better one. The writing style is excellent and information is relayed effectively and politely, keep up the good work! I have included a link to the email here. If you have any questions please feel free to contact me at brenthanover@gmail.com.

Thank you,

Brent Hanover