Assignment 3:1 – Business Letters: Complaint & Bad News letter

March 07, 2019

Pharmacy Manager, London Drugs Pharmacy – Westminster Centre
100 – 555 Sixth Street
New Westminster, BC
V3L 5H1

To Whom It May Concern,

I recently visited your store to return a breast pump on behalf of my sister-in-law who is a new mother and was unable to attend the store on her own due to postpartum complications. During my visit, I was met with rude and unaccommodating service for the entirety of my interactions with your pharmacy assistant, Ms. Rianna H, whose name tag noted that she was a long term employee of London Drugs.

I attempted to return the breast pump without a receipt, something that my sister-in-law overlooked, as did I. Upon arrival, it was made known that returning the breast pump without the receipt was likely not possible and that she would have a look for it anyways. After locating a binder on a shelf and flipping a few pages, the receipt was located along with a form that had been completed upon rental. It was apparent that receipt for every rental was photocopied in the event the receipt was lost. With the receipt now located, the breast pump, specifically a Medela Symphony Breast Pump, was removed from its case for inspection. The pharmacy assistant noted that the suction caps were still in place, commenting that it was “disgusting” to leave those in place, to which she located a grocery bag, used it like a glove and removed the suction cups. The cups are a component of the system that does not come in contact with the body, the breast milk or any other bodily fluid, therefore it was clear that the pharmacy assistant did not have a full understanding of the workings of the breast pump. Finally, the pharmacy assistant located two small spots of breast milk on the exterior of the breast pump, which she outwardly stated was gross, and in combination with the cups being left in place, a cleaning fee would be charged. I was charged a $25.00 cleaning fee for the cleaning of the two drops of breast milk. I find this to be a substantial fee for something so minuscule when the breast pump should be cleaned before rental to ensure a clean, disinfected product is rented to the next client.

I would like to speak to you with regards to this purchase, and I would like to receive a refund for the $25.00 cleaning fee I was charged in error. My sister in law is a Public Health Nurse, who often refers her clients to your services. After hearing about my experience at the Westminster Centre London Drugs, she has told me that she will be reconsidering where she refers her clients to, given the nature of the treatment I received.

Sincerely,

Samuel Kobierski

March 07, 2019

Samuel Kobierski
6250 Applied Science Lane
Vancouver, BC
V6T 1Z4

Dear Mr. Kobierski,

I am sorry to hear about your recent experience at the London Drugs Pharmacy. I would like to apologize to you and offer you a full refund of the $25.00 cleaning fee you were charged upon return of the Medela Symphony Breast Pump and thank you for bringing your concerns to my attention promptly. I will be speaking with the employee you have mentioned and reaffirming our policy regarding the return of our rental breast pumps and our standard of client interaction that was not met in this case. Your experience is not one that you should have had at this London Drugs location or any other London Drugs location throughout our chain of stores.

Please visit the pharmacy in the near future to pick up a $25.00 gift card which has been left at the pharmacy with your name on it. Should you wish to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact me at 604-524-1121, or ask for me the next time you are in the store.

Sincerely,

100 – 555 Sixth Street
New Westminster, BC
V3L 5H1
604-524-1121