Letter of Application

Heinestrasse 6

Wuerzburg, Germany, 97070

September 16, 2019

ENGL 301 99A: Technical Communications

University of British Columbia

2329 West Mall

Vancouver, B.C., V6T 1Z4

Dear ENGL 301 colleagues:

As the first few assignments approach, I am interested in applying for a position on your technical writing team, as indicated on the ENGL 301 blog. I enjoy editing and learning and I am looking forward to collaborating with you as the term progresses.

My past job and volunteering opportunities have provided me with ample experience I feel would be beneficial in a team setting. Personally, my interests include both physics and biophysical technology and in order to pursue this I spent last summer volunteering at the Queen Alexandra Center for Children’s Health. In this role I was able to shadow prosthetic technicians and assist in the design and implementation of prosthetic devices. Additionally, I worked as a PHYS 100/101 TA, in which I facilitated weekly tutorials for undergraduate students at the University of British Columbia. Finally, I am currently working at the University of Wuerzburg, in which my team and I research ferromagnetic topological insulators. These experiences have not only given me career direction but have allowed me to develop leadership, cooperative, and communication skills that I hope I can apply to a professional writing team.

My strengths as a team member include timeliness and trustworthiness with group work. Coming from a scientific background, my past experiences editing papers and reports have enabled me to not only provide constructive criticism, but to also be open to critiques as well. Conversely, I would say a weakness of mine is that I tend to ramble somewhat in my writing, and I hope that by working with a group I can learn to write more effectively.

My education philosophy is that there is always more to be learned, and that no matter how experienced one is, it is always worthwhile to self evaluate and listen to critiques. I believe that one can always improve through practice; therefore, it is always valuable to contribute to group conversations and look to improve one’s skills.

Thank you for your consideration for this position. I look forward to collaborating with you on future assignments and am excited to pursue this technical writing course with you. If you would like to contact me, please feel free to send me an email at a.coschizza@alumni.ubc.ca.

Sincerely,

Andree Coschizza

301 Andree Coschizza Application Letter