HOME

Welcome to my blog of the study journey on technical writing, the online course ENGL 301 which set up by University of British Columbia.

As a fully online course, ENGL 301 focus on cultivating students’ technical writing skills and abilities of communication in various forms, such as collaborating with others, developing self-editing skills, proper deal with the intended audience, formal report drafting and writing and so on. By dividing the course into four major sections through the term, students shall be able to find out what is the goal they seek and benefited from each section while they are progressing with themselves, the instructor and classmates as a team within the course.

Developing skills on communication is of one great essential task to me as a scholar. Moreover, both skills of technical communication and writing are indispensable for someone who is going to dedicate his/herself to the field of science, like me. Other than leaning those specialized knowledge related to my major – “Earth and Environmental Science”, improving my communication skills is second to none as a subject which is to be expected to bring huge benefit to my career in the future. Regardless of the period and the time we put into study, to work or to live, communication is the most important way for us to exchange information. Thus, a better technical communication environment is acting as a powerful catalyst to accelerate the process of information exchanging. By enrolling in ENGL 301 course, I expect myself to become a creator and manager of this powerful catalyst after making efforts within the term of this summer. Within the four major elements in a language study which are listening, reading, writing, and speaking, I intended to focus on developing the writing section through the course. As long as this course is based on the topic of technical writing, I strongly believe that the course itself and this journey of study will serve me well in the future.