Introduction ENGL 301

English 301 is an upper level writing course that introduces students to the principles of written and online communications in a business and professional setting. The main objective of this course is to practice and create formal documents such as resumes, reports, and proposals as well as online documents such as a Web Foli and Linkedin profile.  

English 301 is then divided into 4 major sections. In the first unit, you will be acquainted with both your instructor and other online classmates and introduced to the core principles of technical and business writing. The main focus of this unit will then be to create a Linkedin profile as well as develop the skills needed to create a powerful resume. The second unit then consists of group work where you will be assigned as members of a writing team and complete a format report together. The main purpose of the exercise is to help the students understand the tone and style needed when responding to formal businesses. The third unit will then be a continuation of the formal report as you will edit your formal report as well as seek feedback from both your group members and the instructor. The fourth unit will then involve the students finalizing their formal report remembering to focus on both style and organization. 

As a student that studies mathematics as my major, formal writing has always been a personal weakness of mine. I believe this English 301 course will then provide me the tools to drastically improve technical writing and communication skills, which are all critical techniques needed when I apply for my first job post graduation.