Social Enterprise vs. United Nations

un-logo1

Photo Source: as found November 12th, 2014

The United Nations (UN) is a well established intergovernmental organization which serves a necessary purpose. The UN provides assistance all around the world to avoid conflict and provide solutions. The UN has great value, however, in my opinion, the organization provides short term solutions. Social enterprise and actions such as the Arc initiative create opportunities to network, create personal relationships and provide long term solutions.  Therefore, I believe that even if the United Nations were fully funded, there would still be a need for social enterprise.

The Arc Initiative provides business tools that give solutions for the long run while creating personal relationships and opportunities to network. The Arc helped Ms. Tesfaye in Ethiopia who was inspired by a speaker from the Arc Initiative workshop and was given the necessary advice to start and run a successful restaurant of her own.

Social enterprise is crucial in creating long lasting improvements around the world. The UN focuses on quick solutions for immediate problems but social enterprise gives the opportunity for locals to educate themselves in ways that will allow their country to continuously grow and prosper after the international aid has left. This is key in such a globalized world.

*this blog is in preparation of class 20 and not a part of my submitted 10