finding simplicity in the complex

Don’t touch my s___!

http://www.heyuguys.co.uk/images/2010/11/The-Roommate.jpg

As best as schools try (who knows if they’re actually trying) to pair up roommates, it is not out of the ordinary to hear friends and acquaintances complain once in a while (or always) about the difficulties in sharing a room with another person; the windows are always left open, the windows are always kept closed, the boyfriend’s always over…the list drags on and on. None, however, can probably fathom to college student Sara (Minka Kelly of Friday Night Lights)’s problem in The Roommate when she gets assigned with Rebecca (Leighton Meester of Gossip Girl), an emotionally unstable freshman with a growing bizarre obsession of her.

With a February 4th release date, I had seen countless promotions for this movie plastered all over the digital network. I was well aware of this movie’s existence, but had not paid any particular attention to any of its promotions–that is, until my roommate (…uh oh) sent me a link to this:

Her intentions of sending me this clip may not be 100% known (I swear, I have not “touched her s___”..except for a few eating utensils here and there), but thanks to her, The Roommate has finally managed to catch my undivided attention for 2 whole minutes. 5 things I liked about this ad:

1. The generic background music for all things related to donation pleads (think SPCA and BC Children’s Hospital).
  2. It’s uploaded onto College Humor, a site that university/college students (its target market!) frequently visit.
  3. The situation is a problem that most university/college students can related to: its target market will feel more inclined to view the movie as the promotional clip touches on something that is more personal to the crowd.
  4. Leighton Meester of Gossip Girl (!), a show that its target market easily recognizes.
  5. Humour

There are no comments yet...

Kick things off by filling out the form below.