Hello from Thailand

Hello all,

My name is Ryan Silverthorne and I am the Principal of the British Columbia International School, Bangkok. We are certified by the BC Ministry of Education but operate offshore. Many of our graduates attend university in BC, including UBC.

I will be completing my MET this year and after a 2 year hiatus I am excited to dive back in to the program.
My first promotion years ago into a leadership position was as the Educational Technology Coordinator of my then BC Offshore school in Qatar. My passion for admin came after but I have enjoyed using my background in both as I work towards advancing the vision of my school.

I’m looking forward to meeting and working with everyone 🙂

7 responses to “Hello from Thailand”

1. Erica Hargreave

Hi Ryan,

I am fairly certain that you were in my first ever MET Course, as I remember thinking how interesting it was that there was a British Columbia school in Thailand. I took a hiatus along the way too. Lovely to bump into you again.

Erica

1. RyanSilverthorne

Hello Erica,

Thanks for the note. Its true I have been at this a while. My intention was to be finished a couple of years ago but various things….including COVID, got in the way. As my plan is to move back to BC next year I am really looking forward to reconnecting with the onshore community. I’ve been an expat for 10 years now and its time to return home 🙂

1. Erica Hargreave

Ha! That was initially my intention too. Nothing like a pandemic to call people back home. Been noticing a number of expat teacher friends doing the same.

2. adrian wheeler

Hi Ryan,

Running an international school must be an absolutely fascinating job, I am very excited to hear your perspective on the material we cover and look forward to learning with you.

1. RyanSilverthorne

Thank you Adrian,

There is certainly never a dull moment in this job. Balancing the requirements of the BC ministry with the local education ministry and cultural differences is a unique challenge but definitely has been a worthwhile experience.

I too am looking forward to this course and the material 🙂

3. Alexandra Scott

Hi Ryan,

great to have you here and I am sure after your hiatus you will mange to slot back in. I was strongly considering applying to the BC off-shore school in Bangkok as I enjoy teaching the BC program but sadly I did not get round to it maybe one day.

Best of luck for the course and I look forward to learning from you and working together.

4. tara davis

Hi Ryan,
    I worked at a BC offshore school in Medelli and I had some teaching colleagues who did a practicum at your school. I’m not sure if you worked there then, but did you get a chance to meet Amelia Beiling or Curtis?