Hello from Ontario

My name is Sarka Kubelikova and I have been involved in education for 15 years. I am the Head of School Success and Staff Development. In this role I often introduce new technology to staff and I often question why we are promoting some technologies and not others.  I am hoping this course will help me analyze the reasoning behind some of these choices.

My primary passion is teaching physics, but I have taught a variety of other subjects and currently I am embracing on-line teaching and overcoming the challenges that come with it!   I spent my summer completing my first two MET courses, running a virtual at-risk-youth camp, while also  teaching an on-line physics course. 

I have a drive for experimenting in every aspect of my life. My students are often warned that they are part of a large experiment. We always have a good laugh when something goes awry, which at some point it always does.  I believe that we need to question, test and analyze to be able to innovate and make improvements in society.  This course caught my attention before I even applied to UBC!  I am very excited to be here.

Moving society forward one step at a time.

4 responses to “Hello from Ontario”

1. Erica Hargreave

Wow! Sounds like you had a busy summer, Sarka. I am curious to hear more about the virtual at-risk-youth camp – how it went, how you organized the day / program, what platform(s) you used for it, what activities you did, how many hours you spent with the kids each day, if anyone had any connectivity issues? I ask all these questions, having just run my own first virtual summer camp this summer, so I am curious to learn what other people did with theirs.

2. adrian wheeler

Hi Sarka,

It sounds like you really keep yourself busy! I’m looking forward to learning with you in this course!

3. raafa abdulla

Hi Sakura,
    What a wonderful summer! I also like physics but I only taught in when I was TA at UBC. If you want, I have some resources for nice physics labs for your advanced physics courses 🙂
    Looking forward to learn from you 🙂

4. tara davis

Hi Sarka,
    That is so great you spent the summer completing my first two MET courses. I didn’t even know that was an option! Was that an option for students new to MET (I thought there was only a fall start). Perhaps you applied to the program before I did?