Hello From Toronto

Hi everyone. My name is Julio and I hail from Toronto, Ontario. Currently I support for a college library and I help coordinate their digital media makerspaces. What this usually means is I help faculty and students embed digital media into their assignments and curriculum. We do this by both providing a physical studio space where learners can tinker and create with digital media technology. We also offer student and faculty facing workshops that support a variety of digital media assignments.

When I’m not working I’m often indulging in one of my hobbies. I enjoy being outdoors and often find myself fishing or on long walks and hikes with my camera. Photography has been a life-long passion of mine and complimented my love for exploration and travel. I’m also a gadget fanatic who enjoys keeping up to date with digital trends. This summer I built a 3D printer and I’m using it to help me restore an old telescope that I someday hope to use to star gaze.

This will be my seventh course in the MET program. My experience with this program has been both eye-opening and ripe for self-reflection. I hope that this will continue in ETEC 522. I’m excited to be a part of this learning cohort and I am looking forward to learning from and alongside all of you.

9 responses to “Hello From Toronto”

1. Erica Hargreave

Hello Julio. Lovely to see you in another course. Very cool, by the way, on the 3D printer and telescope restoration.

1. julio palacios

Yes! Glad to see you’re here. Best of luck this semester 🙂

2. adrian wheeler

Hi Julio,

Nice to see you again! Sounds like you’ve had an exciting summer, I would love to see some photos of the restoration in progress!

1. skye ferguson

Another photographer!! Quite impressive! I too would love to see some of your photos!

1. julio palacios

Hi Skye. Great wedding and portrait photography. Photography is more of a hobby of mine, so I often don’t post much of my work, but you can find some of my casual stuff on instagram https://www.instagram.com/jdp.000/

Best of luck this semester!

2. julio palacios

Hi Adrian. Definitely good to see you again. Summer was nice but definitely dampened by these given circumstances. Thanks for asking about the telescope. Here’s a link to some pictures of the project. Unfortunately, I suspect I passed the point of this project that you’d probably find interesting.

https://imgur.com/a/1bo9ZgD

3. Vijaya Jammi

Hello Julio, Good to know you work on digital media. Look forward to learning more with you on Week-12 assignment!

4. tara davis

What has been the most valuable MET course for your learning so far?

5. tara davis

What has been the most valuable MET course for your learning so far? This is my first course, so I am hoping to plan out the rest of my courses! I’d appreciate your advice.
    My father is photographer and writer, so you may want to check out his work: https://daviswade.com/