Hello,

My name is Elizabeth Handford. I teach in LINC (Language Instruction to Newcomers to Canada) at Saskatchewan Polytechnic in Saskatoon. I have spent endless years working with learners with disrupted formal education due to genocide, ethnic cleansing, or civil war. This semester I have switched to instructing economic immigrants in the same Government of Canada program.

This is the first course in this new journey.

5 responses to “Hello,”

1. Erica Hargreave

Welcome to MET, Elizabeth!

It sounds like you do some at times emotional and very valuable work. Good for you.

2. adrian wheeler

Hi Elizabeth,

Welcome to the program! It sounds like you do some absolutely fascinating work! I look forward to hearing your perspective as the course prepossess.

3. skye ferguson

Hello Elizabeth,

I too am from Saskatchewan as well, nice to hear of someone in this cohort that is in the same province. AND, this is also my first course in this program. How is this semester going for your at SIAST? Are you guys online or in person?

4. raafa abdulla

Wow, what an experience! Welcome to the program Elizabeth.
    If you need help with Arabic, please let me know 🙂 I have volunteered as a translator to the Syrian Refugees here in BC. I am native Arabic speaker.
    Looking forward to learn from you 🙂

5. tara davis

Hi Elizabeth,
    What drew you to your line of work?

Have you heard of Mosaic, “MOSAIC is one of the largest settlement non-profit organizations in Canada. We serve immigrant, refugee, migrant and mainstream communities in Greater Vancouver and the Fraser Valley as well as throughout the province of BC and overseas via online programs.”
    https://www.mosaicbc.org/

Also, my uncle, Neal Keny-Guyer, was CEO of Mercy Corps for many years. Mercy Corps is a global team of humanitarians, working together on the front lines of today’s biggest crises to create a future of possibility, where everyone can prosper:

https://www.mercycorps.org/