To new beginnings

I begin my MET program with this introduction to you all.

Hi, I’m Jessica.

Most recently, I am an educator. I have been teaching Grades 7-12 Science, Biology, Mathematics, Careers, Health, and Outdoor Ed. Primarily Science, but I tend to fall into the “master generalist” category. I am Canadian but have only recently returned to Ontario after 12 years overseas. My accent is vaguely Australian, depending on the time of day.

My first love was the ocean. I am also a dive instructor and marine biologist. These started my journey into education and got me interested in experiential learning. I’ve worked at an outdoor education school, and have also led students on summer expeditions in the Caribbean and Peru. I love guiding students through transformative experiences. In some ways, educational technology is the exact opposite setting. However, lately, I’ve developed a drive to create learning experiences and I am beginning to understand the power of technology in that. I really love this quote from Mark Sparvell: “The greatest potential for technology in education is to humanize the learning, not simply digitize the content.”

“The greatest potential for technology in education is to humanize the learning, not simply digitize the content.”

Mark Sparvell

So, I am here to learn about the ways I can use technology to make learning human, to connect people and to create emotional experiences that drive learning. In the future, I would love to go back to my roots and curate learning programs for marine science education.

Thank you for reading and I look forward to sharing this new beginning with you.

Jessica

10 responses to “To new beginnings”

1. Michael Saretzky

Welcome to the program Jessica, it is nice to meet you! I am currently taking my 9th and 10th courses. There will be times where it goes by slowly, but when you are close to the end you definitely wonder where the time went. That is awesome that you are a dive instructor, my stepdad was an assistant instructor while he was teaching in the Cayman Islands, he left right before he was to complete his test. As for me, I just have my Open Water through PADI.

I do think that travel is such a transformative experience for students, at my former school I used to do the travel groups and you literally change some of these students and their path in life.

1. Jessica Daicos

Thanks for saying hi, Michael – congrats on the home stretch! I’d be interested to chat with you a bit more about your experiences in MET, travel and diving if you’re keen. Appreciate the warm welcome 🙂

1. Michael Saretzky

For sure! I haven’t gone diving in quite some time, I think about 13 years in the Dominican Republic.

2. Erica Hargreave

Hi Jessica,

Welcome to MET!

You are speaking to all of my loves here – marine biology, nature and science education, outdoor education, and experiential education. I think you will find that the more you begin to experiment with educational technology, the more you will discover that with creativity and ingenuity, that it is possible to use educational technology to create deep experiential education opportunities for your students, as well as deep connections with them, even if from afar.

1. Jessica Daicos

Thanks Erica!

I actually just had your StoryToGo tab up – love your posts on the discussion thread and your work with digital storytelling is so interesting, and you seem very well initiated into digital technologies. Very cool that you are also into experiential ed/marine science/etc as well. It would be great to have more conversations about all this over the course.

3. adrian wheeler

Welcome to the MET program! Looking forward to learning with you

1. Jessica Daicos

Thanks for the kind welcome Adrian! Week 1 teething is under my belt, and I’m really excited for what’s to come.

4. kathleen mckenna

“So, I am here to learn about the ways I can use technology to make learning human, to connect people and to create emotional experiences that drive learning.”
    Same! Not only do I believe this is possible, but necessary in these current times. I am passionate to learn how to use technology in a way that unites human connection and experiences. I love that you are on the same mission!

1. Jessica Daicos

Amazing Kathleen! Thanks for connecting. Please keep me posted on any cool stuff/resources/ideas you come across along these lines. Google Classroom just doesn’t always cut it! Look forward to learning with you.

5. tara davis

Hi Jessica,
    Welcome back to Canada! I’d love to learn more about your time overseas. I gather you were in Austrailia? I’ve considered teaching there as my boyfriend is from Melbourne. It would be great to learn more about your time there.
    I’m sure it must feel grounding and all together different returning home to Canada. I taught in the U.S., Panama, Colombia, and France before returning to BC (where I am originally from).
    My first love was the ocean as well! My boyfriend (who is from Australia!) and I got a fishing boat during the covid lockdown and it has been a great source of freedom. Let me know if you are ever out west and you can come out for some ocean fishing!

I have also done some outdoor education and guiding. The quote you selected spoke to me as there is so much power for learning in technology so long as we humanize it.