Hello From Toronto

Hi everyone – my name is Luke and work at the University of Toronto in HR. Have 2 MET courses this summer (other is gaming) and excited to get hands on with venture tech. Also doing a Master’s in inclusive design at OCAD (part time) which blends well with ED Tech. The cross exchange of ideas between the 2 programs as expanded my ideas on how to incorporate inclusive design principles in whatever proposed solution I undertake. My passions, when not juggling courses is working, photography, astronomy, home design, travel, technology, and piano compositions.

Hope to meet past classmates and make new friends!

7 responses to “Hello From Toronto”

1. Adrian

Hi Luke,

Wow, two masters at a time! Inclusive Design at OCAD looks really interesting – does it focus on all kinds of design from digital to physical? I’m curious what some of your takeaways are so far and the overlap with the MET.

1. luke pereira

HI Adrian! it’s part time and not too bad. The main idea is to make sure that before we embark on any project be it in the digital or physical, look at principles of inclusiveness as best as we can. While it is hard to tackle inclusiveness in many avenues of the physical space, perhaps affording some thought to those that can benefit from it is something of a challenge to pursue. Example for my research, I am looking at how blind students enrol and graduate in STEM subjects or if they even elect to take up those subjects since it is hard to scale teaching materials to other disability groups. I have taken 5 MET courses so far and creating curriculum and accessible content was an interesting project I created and thinking back, if you were a blind student, how would moodle even fit in your world…:)

1. joseph kwan

Hi Adrian & Luke,

Wow, this is super interesting!

As a special-needs parent (and board director of a disability organization), I am intrigued by your research & possibilities in working together with the disability community.

I am currently exploring 2 terms (ableism & allyship) and how that may translate into ventures…

Let’s chat more!
        Joe

2. shaun holma

Hi Luke,

You appear to have already had great experiences in your professional and academic life. Do you plan to pursue a venture in the coming years?

1. luke pereira

Hi Shaun, I hope to maybe use my experience in Academia and HR at UofT to bring about policy changes in faculty training for disability groups. How can we use new technology to bring in more inclusive learning to those with disabilities. I’m working on an idea perhaps will see how it develops as my research progress. I’m just a recent undergrad in 2018 so I’m trying to make use of my experiences to improve upon limitations I have encountered at work and outside. 🙂

1. joseph kwan

Great to see recent grads jump into research & ventures on such a meaningful topic.

Hopefully your research will result in increased awareness, education & supports for the disability community.

Good luck!

Joe

2. Joyce Lo

Good for you, Luke! It is so great to have people like you with the heart and passion to bring about change for disability groups. You mentioned, “How can we use new technology to bring in more inclusive learning to those with disabilities.” I am also interested in this mainly because of my son. I look forward to collaborating with you in this course.