A3 – Venture Pitch – EduReel

I would like to present to you my Venture Pitch for EduReel. EduReel is an LMS for child actors and on-set tutors in the movie industry. My fiancée is an educator as well and has been an on-set tutor for the past three years. We’ve had many conversations after her work day that start with “what if” or “if only” and it usually has to do with how hectic that industry is. Lots of paper is still used, communication is done through multiple text message and email threads between between multiple people. It’s a challenge to keep track of educational hours. There are many more, but being inspired by these conversations I came up with EduReel. See the elevator pitch below, and then the website for the venture pitch.

Thank you for watching and reading.

EduReel Venture Pitch

12 responses to “A3 – Venture Pitch – EduReel”

1. Josh Wood

FEEDBACK – Mark, it sounds like you are passionate about this idea! As someone who has limited experience in the film/television industry, I would have appreciated perhaps a more personal story to support your explanation of the ‘pain point’.

1. markmpepe

Hi Josh, thanks for the feedback, much appreciated. I’ve made some revisions, though I didn’t get personal, I did write a clearer explanation of the pain points and added why a tutor was needed. I still might revise it though. Thanks again! -Mark **Edit: I just added a section on the homepage, The Idea, that gives a bit of a personal touch to the venture. Thanks!

2. luke pereira

HI Mark, I used to always wonder on kid stars and how their education was affected, but you do have an idea here that could very well amount to something. While, the venture pitch could have had some more engaging graphics, videos excitement to push the idea. I would imagine you would also need to navigate technical details with agents and unions to get the app in the hands of these kids plus educators. It would be interesting to see how far this goes. Great idea for investment.

1. markmpepe

Hi Luke, thanks for the review and suggestions, it’s much appreciated. There are definitely many technical details to consider when hiring young actors. I’m playing around with creating a chart or charts to show the relationships regarding communication, because it get’s complicated. Still playing around that and hopefully I can get that posted soon. I did add a section under The Problem as to why tutors are needed. Thanks again! -Mark

3. SallyB

Elevator Pitch: LOVED IT! Great narration. Pain point clear. Good use of humour.
    PAIN POINT: • Your description of the current state of logistics between tutors and child actors sounds needlessly complicated by lack of centralization and digitization. Good articulation that a problem exists. I believe you!
    SOLUTION: • This sounds like a HUGE idea/system and I appreciate how you’ve broken it into three categories on the “solution” page. The administration, database and start packs seem like the most unique components compared to other LMS’? • As someone who doesn’t really understand the onboarding requirements, what a starting pack consists of, or how the relationship between school teachers and the set tutors works, I’m left with several questions about the details of this product. Maybe a timeline (visual) showing what happens and how EDUReel supports the tutors and child actors at every stage would be helpful? It seems like many people would potentially be using this solution (ie: whoever hires the tutors, the tutors, the child actor, the child’s guardians, payroll, other teachers…?)• I wonder if it would be helpful to scale back some of the components and focus on the top-two most significant features as a first step? With potential to partner or further develop the product in the future?
    DIFFERENTIATION/COMPETITION: • You mention ‘Circus HR’ which looks like it’s an onboarding service? So I certainly see how EDUReel is different from that. EDUReel performs so many functions, I guess one of it’s points of differentiation is that it’s an “all in one” solution for this particular, niche market. Another partnership idea might be with a company that already offers a robust ‘digital portfolio solution’, and building a tutor database and better communication/scheduling network that can work alongside or integrate via API. MARKETING: • Who is the buyer for this product? (Maybe I missed it) Would it be production companies? Or maybe licensed to a co-op of professional tutors? Who is purchasing the subscription? I expect integrating the onboarding and timecard pieces is smart for making it more interesting to production companies.
    CHAMPIONSHIP: You and your partner sound like the real-deal whose involvement would reassure me as a potential investor.
    ASK & RETURN • Very clear and well articulated
    CONSTRUCTIVE FEEDBACK: • I tend to have a bias against massive ‘all-in-one’ solutions, but your pain point sounds multifaceted, so a bigger solution may be required. I think a clearer picture of the workflow of EDUReel would help me, as an outsider to the film tutoring industry, better understand the value that EDUReel can offer. I might also consider how you might scale the idea back a little
    OVERALL:
    I love the authenticity of this pitch. I could almost hear you screaming “There has to be a better way!”. Your site and elevator pitch were clear, succinct and easy to follow. I think there’s definitely something in this idea. 🙂 Great job!

1. markmpepe

Hi Sally, thanks for the in-depth review, much appreciated. I incorporated a few points that you suggested such as: definition of a start pack, the buyers or who the product is intended for, and a clearer description of pain points. I did a quick search in API’s and turns out Microsoft Azure has an API management system. Speaking of partnerships, I mentioned Circus HR which was founded by an old friend from high school! I think I’m going to share this assignment with him. Doing this assignment made me realize just how much work it must be to get a tech start-up off the ground. Make’s me appreciate the hard work that goes into all of the apps I use. Thanks again! -Mark

1. SallyB

Hi Mark,
        Awesome! 🙂 Isee how this would streamline workflow!

RE: ” Make’s me appreciate the hard work that goes into all the apps I use.” – SAME!

4. Adrian Granchelli

Hi Mark,
    What a niche you have found! Nice work and professional display. This market also sounds like it would be quick to try something new and they have the money to invest. I would like to see a look into the competition or what Edureel provides that other LMSs do not. More on competition, I have seen large tutoring companies that have a database of tutors. Obviously combining the LMS with the tutor database is some great value added.

1. markmpepe

Hi Adrian, thanks for the feedback, much appreciated. I made a revision somewhat along the lines of your point. If there are databases of tutors, and other systems that are being used, I did a quite search and found that Microsoft Azure does have an API manager to help connect with other services. That was something I hadn’t considered and was interesting to learn. Side note… I like your t-shirt company. -Mark

1. Adrian Granchelli

Hi Mark,
        That is indeed interesting, great find! API’s make collaboration easy and also the less you have to build from scratch the better (I think?).

Thanks for checking it out! and for the follow on instagram 🙂

5. Lyon Tsang

Hi Mark — super interesting niche you’re looking to fill. Really appreciated your emphasis on the admin side of things (time tracking, tutor database, onboarding, etc.). Packaging all of this along with the actual learning side of things shows (1) your understanding of the market needs and (2) your vision for how it can be modernized and improved!

1. markmpepe

Hi Lyon, thank you for your feedback. Much appreciated! I think the need is there, streaming these things will make the day easier for the tutor and will allow the child actor, and everyone else to focus on the film making.