Do you bring your drill to work?

self-pic1.jpg

Hello/bonjour all!

________________________________________________________

My name is Ally Darling-Beaudoin and I am a Quebec-based Registered Interior Designer. In my day-to-day I design physical spaces such as corporate offices, educational environments, high end residential spaces, and hospitality settings (restaurants/coffee shops/etc.) Needless to say this is an environment that has been turned a bit upside-down as of late!

I’ve attached a fun photo of the time I had to use my drill to open a product sample which arrived in plywood Fort Knox – and after all that work it ended up being the wrong thing!!

I spend the rest of my “professional” time teaching part-time at the college level, working on college program accreditation, and volunteering within my industry as a mentor, provincial committee member, and subject matter expert. In my personal time I love doing things outdoors and look forward to the day we can finally have live music events again!

Although my “day-to-day” is a bit misaligned with many MET students, I joined the program with what I think are similar intentions – to progress myself as an educator and to progress my industry. Interior design as a field is quite new, and as such we have some drawbacks and some benefits… my end goal is not just to teach in my field, but improve it from a curricular perspective – of course, this will require quite a few pitches so I am excited to learn with you all this term!

Ally

3 responses to “Do you bring your drill to work?”

1. Marie-Eve Masse

Hi Ally,
    Nice to see you in another class – it’s been a couple of semesters!
    I would say that you are not ‘misaligned’ with many MET students, you just bring a different perspective with similar overarching goals. Although, I do understand the sentiment of often feeling like the odd one out by not being in the K-12 system…
    Here’s to another semester!
    -Mev

2. Ally Darling-Beaudoin

Thank you Mev! I feel like we are kindred spirits in our non K-12 backgrounds 🙂 I do find myself excited to hear all these perspectives though… not something I would get in my day job! Look forward to learning with you!

3. mary hui

Hi Ally,
    Nice to e-meet you! It’s so amazing to see a fellow designer in the course!
    I really enjoyed your post and the format in which you have laid out the content and photo! Love the photo of the product sample 🙂
    I agree with Marie-Eve and can say that you are definitely not misaligned. I often feel the same as you since I am not in the K-12 system either. What types of design / teaching are you looking to pursue in the future?