Hello, Meagan Strome here

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for sharing your introductions. I do see a couple familiar faces!

My name is Meagan Strome, and this is my fourth course (I’m also taking 512). I live in Winnipeg, Manitoba (AKA “Winterpeg”; it has been bitterly cold here this past week) with my husband and two kids.  My daughter is 12, and my son is 8. Like many of you I’m an educator; I teach grade 11 and 12 math courses, as well as business education courses (Accounting and Economics). I’ve been teaching both in person and online.  (Manitoba is currently in remote learning again for this week).  Prior to teaching I graduated from business school and worked in marketing and business development for a number of years. I later decided to pursue my passion for teaching and went back to school (UBC) to get my education degree, and now my masters!  In my spare time I love to play and watch tennis!  

Looking forward to getting to know you all better and working and learning with you all! 

Meagan

I’ve included a picture from the summer with my toes in the sandy beach of lake Winnipeg – to remind myself that it will warm up again!

2 responses to “Hello, Meagan Strome here”

1. Anna Ayoung-Stoute

Hi Meagan,

I chuckled at Winterpeg as I have not heard that term in many years. I posted a winter scene in hopes summer will come sooner. Your background is interesting as you teach grade school and business courses. Have you found any commonalities in the learners? I have no teaching experience with younger students so always wanting to learn about k-12 learners.

2. mstr

Hi Anna, nice to e-meet you. The math courses I teach are, and have always been online, which has it’s merits and perils. I don’t really get to know the students as well as if I’d have them in class, and the courses are asynchronous, so I end up spending a lot of time “chasing” those that are behind the recommended pace of the course. The business courses are in person and are great! I’ve had the privilege of teaching some remarkable students the last couple of years. The students choose to come to the school and take the Business Program, so they are usually very keen! I see you recently moved from Miami to Montreal, talk about a change in temperature!