AJ Gregory – Founder and CTO of Screencast-O-Matic

Screencast-O-Matic is a screen capture and video creation platform used by more than 9 million around the world. It provides easy to use video tools that enable educators, business professionals and individuals to create recordings and videos. Videos can be used for learning, collaboration, and communication.

Screencast-O-Matic’s video tools are easy to and affordable. Intuitive tools allow users to create screen recordings, mix and match videos from other devices and then add overlays, effects, audio and more to create amazing videos. Videos can then be quickly and easily shared to the desired audience.

“Screencast-O-Matic software was founded by AJ Gregory in 2006. The company was created out of a need identified by AJ for a very simple and easy-to-use screen recording tool that could aid in the learning process. Specifically, a tool was needed to capture the computer screen through video recording to be shared as a screencast to better facilitate learning. When AJ researched existing solutions (conducting his own product review via community comments), he found that the existing solutions were very complex, expensive, and directed to a narrow user base of technology and video professionals. The goal was for anybody, not just video or technology professionals, to be able to quickly create and publish screen recordings
without having to invest a significant amount of time learning the tools. This tool could be used by any teacher in a classroom setting but also in other learning scenarios such as supporting novice computer users in learning or support scenarios.” https://onlinelearningconsortium.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/OLC_MehlFose_DAR_Article4_TheTechnology_.pdf

Personally I have used this tool and loved it! When I first started teaching online the idea of somehow recording myself and my screen was very daunting, however, after easily recording my first video and sharing it with my students, my fears were “cast” aside. My division does pay for the license and encourage its use, so I’m not sure how much it costs, however it is very user friendly to both set up initially and use! I appreciate how the founder was trying to find a solution to a problem that was becoming much more apparent with more teachers using flipped and online content (and even more so now with pandemic). I also like how the goal was to make the tool easy to use and accessible.

( Average Rating: 4.5 )

2 responses to “AJ Gregory – Founder and CTO of Screencast-O-Matic”

1. robyn godard

I have not heard about Screencast-O-Matic, however I took a quick look at their website and it seems like a great software. Over the last few year I’ve had a lot of instances of needing to create a video, or instructions for a group and generally have recorded on zoom. What I liked about this software is the ability to mix and match videos and add overlays and affect. It is great to see that the founder recognized a gap in the market for an easy to learn video software. I would be curious if the company had a huge amount of growth during the pandemic as the product seems perfectly positioned to assist new online users with creating video content.

2. greg patton

I had heard of this software just before the pandemic as one of our virtual school teachers was using it for his classes. It has definitely taken off since the pandemic and I love how you emphasized that it would be useful for the flipped classroom design; a nod to pointing ahead into the future of teaching! Plus the name!! Finally, truth in advertising!