Week 7: Microlearning for Higher Education Students

Microlearning delivers short bursts of content for learners to study at their convenience. It is dominant in the corporate industry; however, it is expanding into higher education. We selected this area as students have returned to school seeking a new career or wanting to upskill during the pandemic. We are interested in what impact microlearning has on higher education due to the various changes amongst the student population.

Welcome to our OER: Microlearning for Higher Education Students.

We encourage you to explore our site and look forward to your reflections along the way. We will provide discussion prompts during the week to keep the engagement going.  

Please remember to fill out the Microlearning Poll as you explore our OER. We will provide the results at the end of the week.

1. Ice Breaker: After reviewing our homepage, what information did you find noteworthy?

2. Reflection: After reviewing the pros and cons, do you think the good outweighs the bad for microlearning in higher education, or is there a need for improvement?

3. Comparative: For market analysis which microlearning integration model is effective in higher education, Curricular-Based or Open-Curricular? Also, we encourage you to contribute to the discussion question as we would like to know your opinions.

4. Forecasting: Once you reviewed Future in Microlearning in Higher Education and information you have gathered from our OER. Do you think microcredential degrees will become the new standard in higher education?

61 responses to “Week 7: Microlearning for Higher Education Students”

1. Ally Darling-Beaudoin

Hello team microlearning! First off, kudos to you guys for getting this out along with the A1 reports! As for the ice breaker ————————— I was surprised to see some of the data in the infographic, it intrigued me to want to learn more about these microlearning “success stories”. I feel like microlearning as a whole, to me, has a bit of a “panic” vibe attached to it since it was so prevalently pitched as an emergency reskilling response during the pandemic. Prior to the pandemic, microlearning still had that “teach me now” aspect, but it was perhaps more exploratory than it is now… it will be interesting to see how microlearning has changed and grown due to the pandemic, especially once we can see some of the fruits of the microlearning labours that governments and institutions have invested in.

1. Kyle

I can totally understand the panic vibe attached to micro-learning. My thoughts are that if they are this successful, than when will they start to be rolled out everywhere? Being cost effective as they are, and easy to manage and support given their specificity and lack of breadth, we might consider that these become the norm in all industries, specifically the private sector. Employees can be trained and specialized quickly and with little monetary investment such that the company can make the argument far easier to investors and boards about the recurring investment as the ROI is faster and more sustainable. In terms of higher-education however, I do wonder about the lack of breadth and depth that these courses may take in preparing students for their careers, but perhaps that’s my misconception of what microlearning truly is?

1. Anna Ayoung-Stoute

Hi Kyle,

You raise interesting points; in the private sector, microlearning is frequently used among corporations. The corporate industry has applied microlearning for the same reasons you point out. Very practical, specialized training, and ROI. Microlearning is also used for onboarding within companies. Bottom line companies want the fastest route to enhance performance and get the best out of their employees; this may mean quick training or upskilling. Microlearning provides that opportunity at a lower cost which employees can do at their own pace and time. Here is an article that outlines the reasons for microlearning in the private sector: 5 Examples Of Microlearning In Corporate Training That Boost Learner Engagement And Performance: https://elearningindustry.com/examples-of-microlearning-corporate-training-boost-learner-engagement-performance. As for higher education, I have the same concerns as you. But based on data and the shift of the students’ needs I think that microlearning programs, when designed properly, will cover the relevant content required for learners to have a successful career. Programs cannot cover everything but provide the essential skills needed for the workforce and microlearning. However, this cannot be for ALL Programs as there are some programs where macrolearning/traditional programs are required. So maybe the answer is a blend of the two forms of learning.

1. Hayley Mooney

I’m interested in your response here, Anna- that microlearning programs can cover the content for a successful career. I suppose this brings up the purpose of higher education in the first place: is it to be able to function well in a job, or is it to gain knowledge? For the purpose of a career-focused program, I would agree that microlearning is a good fit: modules can be broken down to work towards skills needed in a workplace. I’m not so sure it fosters the deeper level of learning expected in higher education though. More of a career-course-as-part-of-a-bigger-program? I would definitely agree to the blended learning idea though.

I can also agree with Ally and Kyle on the panic-learning-design. A lot of microlearning platforms that I’ve looked into claim to be designed to engage learners, but really are just using flashy gamification tactics to make it appear more fun, when really it’s the same old stuff just broken up into shorter modules. Not to say that microlearning can’t also be great when designed well!

1. Anna Ayoung-Stoute

Hi Hayley,

I don’t think we can discount degree or microcredential programs when students want to upskill or develop career-oriented skills. So I believe that we are on the same page in that thinking. The deeper level of learning depends on what type of program the student is taking and their level of knowledge before entering. If they are new learners, they do not have that previous knowledge or experience. However, if they enter the higher education program with knowledge or skills, yes. Since they are furthering their education. As for the apps, I think the user has to be selective; for example, LinkedIn Learning, there are beneficial microlearning courses. As for blended learning (macro with micro), I believe this would be ideal for learners, particularly for traditional programs. And, it will open doors for learners with no background in various subject areas that microlearning is currently offering programs. As for microlearning as a panic-learning design, I think it has gained that reputation due to COVID. But, as a learning strategy and when the course/program is designed correctly, there is an opportunity to enhance learning. I also think it depends on the students’ personal learning objectives to determine if microlearning is for them. Our OER mentions that higher education institutions can no longer exist as an island and need to co-design programs with professionals in the field, particularly for microlearning. I think there is a lot of opportunity for growth in that course/program design area. What do you think of such a landscape?

2. Hayley Mooney

Hi Anna, for some reason there isn’t a reply link to your comment, so I’m replying to my own. Your question on education institutions not being an island is interesting to me- I joined the MET program to kickstart a career in Instructional Design, therefore a program co-designed by professionals is exactly what I am looking for. The list of Faculty for MET does include many past-educators as well as an array of other professions, although, also their PhD’s would label them as academics as well. Many of the courses in this program do have hands-on aspects, and provide direct application in the professional world, but there might even be room for more- and perhaps micro-courses could be an answer to this need. This is a professional masters, and therefore I would say that MET is a prime landscape for this type of course design.

3. Anna Ayoung-Stoute

Hi Hayley,

The MET is a perfect example, and I like the idea of incorporating micro-courses. The independent studies and summer institutes are microlearning, so expanding on that learning strategy would be interesting. Plus, microlectures are offered, such as the coding series. I think more institutions need to incorporate this strategy as it helps develop or improve skills for careers.

2. Anna Ayoung-Stoute

Hi Ally,

Thanks for the compliment on handling both assignments simultaneously; teamwork helps. It also surprised me about the success rate, particularly when studying subjects that require in my mind a macrolearning approach. You are correct about the fruits and labor that government and institutions have put behind microlearning, such as here in Canada (Are microcredentials the future of higher ed?) .https://www.universityaffairs.ca/features/feature-article/are-microcredentials-the-future-of-higher-ed/. Whereby, institutions are reshaping programs and offering microcredential degrees. And the Canadian government has given money to run a pilot for the eCampus Ontario initiative. Though microlearning before the pandemic was gaining traction in higher education, the pandemic really brought it to the forefront as there was a shift for wanting affordable courses that could be taken in a short space of time and were mobile learning. Thank you for breaking the ice 🙂

3. cindy keung

I learned quite a bit from your OER! As I was reading through the material, I got the vibes that micro-learning was a modernized version or tidbit of what teachers call “scaffolding”. I think it’s great that micro-learning is taken seriously in higher education. When learners transition from high school to post-secondary education, it can be a bit rough. Micro-learning can make this transition smoother and easier. It can also help students with their executive functioning skills by breaking down a learning concept into smaller, orderly steps.

1. alexis reeves

Hey Cindy,
      Thanks for your response. You got it exactly right, microlearning is a way to break information into smaller, easier to process chunks rather than overloading students with information that can lead to potential burnout, only now it has the name ‘microlearning’ and is in many digital formats. It is also a way of personalizing information for students who may have different learning needs and paths and therefore can act as a great scaffolding tool in this regard as well. As for its role in higher education, it can definitely help students who may want to ease into the transition from secondary school to a higher education institution, students could take a combination of microlearning courses with traditional in-class course or perhaps even a semester of only microlearning courses to begin with. Would you recommend microlearning courses to students about to graduate from secondary/high school based on your knowledge of it so far? Why/Why not?

1. cindy keung

Good question, Alexis! Assigning another course to a high school student who is about to graduate usually adds another burden. It would be better if it was incorporated in the grades 10-12 curriculum and then some kind of university support once they are in post-secondary school. I can definitely see it being of value to students who require accommodations during their academic years who want/require a bit more support. I think, to support the transition, it needs to be practical, coincide with their current lived experience and relevant to their direct experiences.

2. Marie Finch

Hi Cindy, scaffolding is exactly what I thought of as going through this OER. The chunking of information into smaller digestible bites. I know within the work and school community that I am in I have noticed a drastic reduction in attention span, so I think it would be great to implement microlearning in all categories of education for any age.

4. JacksonLiang

Hi Team Microlearning! Thanks for the clear OER. Whenever I think about microlearning, I think about the lunch & learns that staff members host. This is usually a small workshop where teachers share one website or tool they use in their class. It’s digestible and short! I wonder if microlearning should be paired with macrolearning or if that would take away from the whole purpose of microlearning altogether.

5. Anna Ayoung-Stoute

Hi Jackson,

Lunch and Learns can definitely considered microlearning as those are microlectures. It is informal however you are there to learn since microlearning is not always a formal structure there are informal strategies too. Hayley (above) and I were just discussing this exact scenario of macro and micro blended which in my opinion would be ideal for traditional programs. If it was applied to microlearning programs it would take from the objectives as students who take these type of courses are wanting to complete within a short space of time but with a concentration of the most relevant content. Do you think blended would enhance student learning? Thank you for chiming with your opinion.

6. brendan stanford

Hey team Microlearning! Great job on your OER; it was well-organized, easy to follow and fun to learn about! I’ve answered your reflection questions below:

I think the Microlearning vs. Macrolearning graphic you had on the home page was very helpful; it helped clarify misconceptions I had from my past experience! I’ve taken a ton of courses with the Raspberry Pi Foundation via the FutureLearn platform (it’s where I learned the essentials of programming right up to basic game design, and last year I finally took my first uni comp sci course in Robotics), and as these were 3-4 week, self-led courses with readings, videos and auto-grade quizzes, I assumed they qualified as microlearning. Based on that table, I think those courses would certainly qualify as Macrolearning, and Microlearning would be more akin to looking up Youtube videos by the Maker youtube channel to see how I can program a particular sensor, etc.

I think the pros definitely outweigh the cons. While mastery is the ideal we pursue as educators, the time needed for it often comes into conflict with the demands of a working life where one must balance so many other competing demands on our time (work, school, family, etc.), and I think the proficiency is a necessary precursor that can be more effectively attained through microlearning initially. Once students feel proficient, or that they have the skills to solve the initial problem that troubled them, then if they are so inclined they will be more likely to master that concept or skill, adn those that just needed a niche problem solved are free to refocus their attention elsewhere. While I might feel slightly put off if I teach Math and I find the majority of students only pop in for a brief stint of microlearning, I hope I could also appreciate that those students got what they needed and those that remain are truly passionate. In either sense, I will have made a difference for those students, and isn’t that the whole point of education?

7. Anna Ayoung-Stoute

H Brendan,

It is interesting; based on your description, your course is microlearning. The problem with microlearning, as there is no clear definition; we know it is bite-size information that we learn at our own pace. Complex information is broken down into small modules. And, as to what you described, courses are taken in a short space of time and self-led. I agree that mastery takes time to attain and is challenging to achieve, considering our busy lives. My viewpoint on microlearning is that it gives you the initial tools for proficiency, and from there, you will further develop your skills. As there is no educational program that will teach you everything. So microlearning in higher education prepares students for their careers. Therefore, they are proficient to enter the door and start the job. Building on what they have learned in the microlearning program and on the job. As for your math students, they absorb what is relevant (microlearning), and others who want to learn more will stay (macrolearning). You are a prime example of making a difference, and your students are doing a form of blended learning on their own. Do you think microlearning strategies should be implemented at your grade level? Thanks for your reflections.

1. brendan stanford

Hi Anna,

Thanks for the reply! I definitely think Microlearning could succeed at middle school, as it certainly caters to the shorter attention spans of younger students, but it also affords them that tangible sense of achievement and progression that can sometimes feel lacking just from completing a given lesson’s homework. In fact, I think that microlearning in conjunction with AI has the potential to help provide students and educators with much more rapid feedback so that both parties can make more effective decisions as to where they should go next on their learning journey; it could be quite revolutionary!

1. Anna Ayoung-Stoute

Hi Brendan, As you know, my background is not in middle school. But, I understand the model you are outlining and foresee that it would give students time to focus on areas they may be struggling with. There would be a balance as some subjects they would quickly grasp and those challenging they could focus more on.

1. Kyle

This is an interesting point and I could foresee microlearning being a positive addition to the middle years education system. There are however, a few barriers that are worth mentioning, or at least as I see them. Firstly and perhaps the most difficult is the installation of instructional designers into the employment circle. Teachers are certainly capable of operating a microlearning, and some perhaps could set it up and be completely self-sufficient, but in order for this to be sustainable and widely available having instructional designers to setup, manage and troubleshoot the microlearning platform is paramount to success. Not to mention their expertise in this domain in designing the learning space effectively. This of course means a shift in the current landscape of education and how to deploy resources. The second barrier I see is how to incorporate these into the overall accreditation of students entering secondary school and further entering into post-secondary. Will they be an additional component to their diploma or just supplementary?

1. Anna Ayoung-Stoute

Hi Kyle,

I agree that instructional designers would be needed and that resources can be scarce. Definitely, there would be a shift in the education landscape as technical support would be required, but this is occurring already. Many schools recognize that they need tech support and/or an instructional designer to advance in technology. As for microlearning, the focus is on the learning strategy to break down complex information into a bite-size smaller unit that perhaps students would understand better. And incorporating AI to assist with the learning strategy. The focus is on the learning strategy, not a degree or attaining credits.

8. mstr

Ice Breaker: After reviewing our homepage, what information did you find noteworthy? Great OER microlearning group! I find this topic quite intriguing. In some ways, it seems that microlearning is just learning with different marketing, but in other ways, I can see how microlearning would be beneficial for certain topics. Often high schools and higher-ed institutes aim to justify the structure of their schedules, rather than doing what we know is best practice. Professors will lecture for 3 hours, because they know the class is 3 hours long, or teachers will structure classes to have 20 minutes of lesson and 40 minutes of practice and work. When probably many times the same learning could happen in less time. However, students aren’t likely to attend class if their prof only lectures for 15 minutes. Or what would I do with my students if we learnt the concept in 15 minutes instead of an hour? I can’t just send them home! If the best practice for attention and retention is shorter bursts of information, then why are sticking to the same rigid schedules? The definition given here of microlearning is that it is self-paced and online. It seems that within those parameters microlearning affords many advantages, but not so much on a more broad scale.

9. Anna Ayoung-Stoute

Hi, Meagan; thank you for reviewing our OER. You raise a valid point by saying that it has advantages but perhaps not on a broad scale. From that perspective, the approach is blended learning, whereby the instructor uses both learning strategies (micro and macro). Institutions recognize that for specific disciplines, such as business or engineering, students need experiential learning, which can facilitate microlearning opportunities. I agree that microlearning is beneficial for specific topics; for example, I would not recommend this method for someone studying to be a doctor. However, if they want additional learning resources such as microlectures or courses to deepen their learning experience, that is different. As for sticking to rigid schedules, I would like to know in more detail if microlearning as a learning strategy would be effective in K-12.

10. John Wu

Ice Breaker: After reviewing our homepage, what information did you find noteworthy? Fantastic OER Anna and Alexis! I found the section on the future of higher education to be fascinating as Microlearning could very well redefine how learners interact with knowledge in addition to how classes are conducted. My opinion is higher education students tend to be more independent and especially with modern technology, they’re able to fill in gaps very quickly or learn from others through observation and social learning. That being said, as Meagan mentioned, I think a balance between Macro and Micro is important as depending on the subject matter, students might still require the knowledge of an expert/the professor to guide them “how” to interpret the information correctly, which can then be carried over to the Micro learning stage where students learn according to their own volition/level of motivation. I agree with your OER that technology is here to stay and future learning will continue to be even more reliant on emerging tech, the question is whether Universities are willing to adopt a new style of micro learning as opposed to resisting it and continue to use the traditional macro focused lecture/tutorial format

1. alexis reeves

You bring up some excellent points John! Some universities have already partnered with microlearning providers to create short courses that still offer expert guidance but, through means of microlearning such as short videos that you view in a successive manner throughout the courses (think TedEd style), quizzes, discussions and articles completed over a couple of hours/week meaning you can work on it for small chunks of time each day. If you take a look at what University of Edinburgh have done through their short courses with edX (EdinburghX), I believe more higher learning education institutes will follow suit. However, in the meantime most institutions may opt for a hybrid model of macro and micro learning until absolutely necessary by way of demand to offer more mobile-friendly, time-friendly and personalized future microlearning solutions. Check out our Resources for Students page for more microlearning providers currently operating in higher education:
      https://sites.google.com/view/etec522microlearninghigered/resources-for-students

1. John Wu

Hi Alexis, thanks for the info! It’s encouraging to see several Universities embracing the trend of Microlearning, it’ll probably take some time for this concept to become fully mainstream but nonetheless, I think it’s a learning style that will accelerate in accordance with technology development/availability. I like your point on mobile learning as that is exactly what I envision Micro Learning to be in most contexts (using a food metaphor, it’s like a smaller, focused and easier to digest snack as opposed to eating everything at a buffet which takes longer to digest afterwards)

11. hasssae1

Hi Anna and Alexis, I enjoyed reviewing your work. The website was visually stunning and quite easy to navigate. The survey nicely complemented the literature review, look forward to seeing the results at the end of the week. Here is my feedback 1) Icebreaker: the side by side comparison of Macrolearning vs Microlearning was quite informative for me. 2) Reflection: I certainly think that the good outweighs the bad for microlearning in higher education. In fact, I disagree with the statement that “some topics are too complicated” to be a good fit for microlearning. As part of what I do professionally, I know that rather complex topics can become easy to digest with taking simple steps such as adding visual contextual models, maybe a simple diagram, or a supporting graphic.

1. alexis reeves

Thank you for the compliment Hasssae1! In reference to your point about microlearning not being too difficult to digest or achieve mastery, would you agree that with standardization of microcredentials and good course design to ensure information doesn’t become fragmented, that these could help alleviate the perception that microlearning cannot lead to mastery in subjects, especially difficult ones?

1. hasssae1

Hi Alexis,
        Certainly, 100%. In exceptional cases, where the content can absolutely not be fragmented, due to the risk of being disjointed, microlearning could still be used as a complementary tool (e.g. supplement a microlearning infographic in such cases?). In other words, with a good course design, there is always room for utilization of microlearning, sometimes in a primary role, sometimes as a complementary tool.

12. mstr

Reflection: After reviewing the pros and cons, do you think the good outweighs the bad for microlearning in higher education, or is there a need for improvement? After reviewing the pros and cons I definitely believe the pros outweigh the cons. As you mentioned, there are so many different learning styles, and microlearning accommodates them by facilitating content in various methods. Differentiated methods such as gamification, and animation, afford increased engagement among students. Microlearning may facilitate the design process for educators and content producers, by designing concise lessons and smaller more manageable content bits.

1. alexis reeves

Thanks for your reflection mstr. One point that’s been contested recently in terms of different learning styles has been whether or not microlearning can accommodate people who understand things kinesthically. Do you think based on what you know about it so far that it is possible to help these learners to learn through means of microlearning solutions as well?

13. John Wu

Reflection: After reviewing the pros and cons, do you think the good outweighs the bad for microlearning in higher education, or is there a need for improvement? This is a difficult question to answer in the context of a vacuum as whether Microlearning works heavily depends on the subject and teaching style of the individual. In general, I would lean towards the pro side more but have reservations whether Microlearning is truly more engaging as some students might not be compatible with this learning style (eg: some prefer learning broadly). Definitely agree for course customization and flexibility. Micro Credentials is an interesting one, I like the concept and agree that it fits well into most of our work/life balance schedules but ultimately I think it’s also important to consider how employers or the general public perceives them. Agree with the Cons that you’ve pointed out but I think most can be resolved through experience, time and additional training for educators.

1. Anna Ayoung-Stoute

Hi John,

I concur it is challenging to answer, but we thought we would present the question to get our peers’ opinions. I have taken micro-courses and found them challenging as there was so much to grasp within a short time. So there is validity in students’ learning styles. The acceptance of digital badges has come a long way from when it was first launched. I think microcredentials are perceived fine in the workforce; however, with the general public, the familiarity I believe may not be as known. Achievement is still associated with a degree. As with institutions, the acceptance or recognition in many cases micro-credentials courses are not seen as credited courses. So students have to be careful when selecting should they want to move up academically at some point in their lives. With microlearning becoming more immersed in higher education, it is new territory for many institutions; therefore, there is lots to explore and opportunities to implement.

14. John Wu

Comparative: For market analysis which microlearning integration model is effective in higher education, Curricular-Based or Open-Curricular? I personally would opt for Curricular Based as open-curriculars such as MOOCs can get disorganized and messy really fast. From personal experience, learning within a MOOC environment is quite challenging, especially for subjects which require extensive technical knowledge (eg: coding, python or programming) as the level of support from the instructor(s) is generally quite low (doesn’t mean they’re inaccessible though). It’s also harder to foster a social connection in MOOCs which lowers the overall enjoyment as an important part of learning is knowledge exchange and allowing ideas to bounce back and forth between classmates. Engagement is also an issue as MOOCs can easily make a student loose interest and lowers overall motivation to participate actively. That being said, not all MOOCs are bad as the important factor to look at is (i) why are you enrolling in these classes (ii) are there any stakes involved and (iii) how much free time the participant has. Open Curricular courses are potentially better for professionals/individuals who have more life and work experience as they would know exactly what they’re looking for where as for younger students, a curricular based framework provides a better sense of organization and flow.

1. Anna Ayoung-Stoute

Hi John,

I have never taken a MOOC, but it is to my understanding that a significant challenge is the diversity in learning styles and behaviours. For this reason, I question Open Curricular and if the students would feel lost in MOOCs. Particularly within a microlearning context. As for Curricular-Based, I am inclined for this integration as students have opportunities for hands-on learning. And, within a microlearning or micro-credential context, they are learning skills preparing them for the workforce. As for Open Curricular, I think it depends on the subject and/or learner, including the MOOC’s design. As I have colleagues who have taught MOOCs, they seem to be successful. Many institutions like Harvardx are offering these programs on the edX platform. Do you think this will become prevalent in higher education?

1. John Wu

I think more higher education institutes will offer online courses as part of their extended learning program, which could very well include MOOCs and Microlearning. The market & demand to acquire and learn new skills has certainty increased in the recent years and higher education institutions and from a business perspective, hosting a variety of Microlearning courses would certainty be beneficial as they’re easy to maintain and conduct on a regular basis. These courses could also help adults facilitate a career change which generates more value and justification for offering them.

15. Marie Finch

Great OE! To be honest I hadn’t really thought I knew much about the concepts of Micro and Macro learning, until reading your descriptions and realizing that these are concepts I knew and have explored, but didn’t know the terminology. The chart was a valuable side by side comparison and informative. I teach a variety of ADST courses and we have always chunked information into smaller concepts to be prated and masted before moving on. I think a con for microlearning could be the disjointed or lack of structure if there is not a cohesive plan for implementing microlearning. I think it works if you can give a concept, reinforce the concept through implementation and then revisit. As for cross curricular vs curricular-based, I think both could work. Some skills benefit many subject levels and I think blending curriculum is something that the elementary and high school curriculum has strived for in the last decade. Curricular based microlearning would allow for greater opportunities to diversify the delivery of learning, which in turn benefits the variety of learning styles of students.

1. alexis reeves

Thanks for your contribution Marie. I liked the fact that you were an avid user of microlearning and didn’t even know it! I can relate as I didn’t know I had used it for both myself and my students until researching the topic further and noticing all the elements that can be considered microlearning from short, informative videos to short multiple choice quizzes, for example. I think you brought up a valuable point about implementing microlearning properly with a solid plan to help avoid fragmented information and sloppy course design (or blended-learning implementation).

16. Aaron Chan

I think microlearning is a step in the right direction, but as others have inferred, it’ll take time for the “market to adjust”. Though the stats show that microlearning is effective, (e.g. higher knowledge retention), at the end of the day, most employers care more about where and what someone studied, who they interned with, and how many people they “beat” to get there. Online microlearning certificate courses can be perceived as a nice supplement to a CV, but cannot compete with traditional macrolearning (i.e. someone with a bachelors from Stanford vs. an online certificate from Stanford via Coursera). That said, microlearning can definitely provide individuals with practical skills that are often not taught in the classroom. And with so many undergraduate students skipping classes (as many professors’ passion is not in teaching), self-paced microlearning just might be the way to go. Ultimately, there needs to be a shift in how one’s higher education is delivered and assessed.

1. alexis reeves

Thanks for your response Aaron. I agree that it appears at the moment the certificates and badges earned from microlearning courses are not regarded as highly as the classic bachelor’s degrees and masters diplomas achieved at universities. That being said, a lot of these employers are using microlearning solutions to train their employees in the workplace so, there must be some belief in how effective they are. Therefore, a disconnect does seem to be present between not accepting these credentials from microlearning courses and then using them in their later workplaces.

2. mstr

Hi Aaron, I tend to agree with you here. I recently looked into taking an edX course and thought it would be “neat” to take a Harvard Business course but really it still seems a lot different than say getting into Harvard and taking a business course! Microlearning online does allow anyone to earn credentials from ‘Ivy League’ schools and instructors and enables everyone to share in the prestige of a credential from these sought-after institutions. What’s also interesting about these new microlearning platforms is that a lot of their content offerings are free!

17. Wynn Zhang

Hi Microlearning group! Very cool OE. I found that while I was familiar with the term Microlearning, I was unable to put the pieces together until you listed some pros and cons for it. I find that microlearning definitely has a place in our education system, however, it seems like a tool that is so powerful, but difficult to utilize. One of my experiences in microlearning has been in video games. There are so many ways to break down a huge game and use short tutorials that adds on to the experience of the game. I believe that this method could pave the path in using microlearning in more traditional learning services. In fact, I realize that microlearning is a technique that I like to use when using games as educational tools or working on large projects. My conception of it is that if there is a learning experience that requires a lot of work, the microlearning could serve to increase the number of tools that could be possible, when provided at the right time. However, as a standard-alone learning concept, I doubt that it will become a new standard of learning as it would break down the educational system that we have. Imagine a university course that has microlessons throughout the day rather than a 2 hour lecture! It would definitely shake things up. Learning reflects society, and as we grow more busy with shorter down time, microlearning could be a very strong way to supplement and augment our learning, but it would be difficult for it to become the new way of learning.

1. alexis reeves

Hi Wynn, you bring some valid information to the table with your response. Firstly, I really enjoyed your application of microlearning methodology to teaching and learning gaming techniques! When I was learning how to use Twine recently, I used microlearning tutorial videos to help guide the process as well. It helped me to learn in a progressive but not overwhelming way as all of this information with coding and creating games was new to me. When you mention replacing 2 hour university lectures with microlearning solutions, I don’t picture it personally as being replaced but, being redistributed with perhaps a concept video to start, then perhaps a quiz, followed by a short discussion and then perhaps another video, etc. The thing is there are many ways in which to teach microlearning. That being said, do you think an accumulation of badges earned from post-secondary partnerships between universities and future workplaces will serve to replace credits in these institutions in the near future as discussed in our ‘Partnership between Universities and Potential Employers’ section of our Future of Microlearning in Higher Education page?

18. Kyle

After reviewing the pros and cons, do you think the good outweighs the bad for microlearning in higher education, or is there a need for improvement?

Microlearning is really interesting, and you have done a wonderful job outlining its assets and deficits. There are a few points about the microlearning platform, specifically about the efficacy of the learning, that I think should be mentioned when we are discussing whether or not the pro’s outweigh the cons or vice versa. The first being the online community aspect; a number of studies and learning theories are based around one’s connection to the learning community and how they impact the learners ability to engage and interact with the content and thus lead to meaningful learning outcomes. My understanding of the microlearning space is that it is rather isolated, meaning the learner doesn’t necessarily have access to a community as they would in a traditional virtual learning or physical learning space. Second, and similarly, we should consider the instances of interaction that are available within the microlearning platforms. Interacting with other students, content and teacher are also very important when considering the efficacy of the learning tool. While investigating whether the venture is worthwhile should we not also include a component of its efficacy where and when possible?
    Ultimately I return to a point made a few times in this string that done correctly, embedded within learning modules purposefully, I do believe the pro’s outweigh the cons here. The platform offers a lot of tangible benefits in all sectors that are hard to ignore; scale-ability, just in time, diversification, democratization of education, equity (more could potentially have access), and needed resources.

19. Kyle

Once you reviewed Future in Microlearning in Higher Education and information you have gathered from our OER. Do you think microcredential degrees will become the new standard in higher education?

This is a hard one to answer, but my initial thought is I hope not! Whether it is included in a blended model with in-person (or virtual, synchronous) learning or as an add-on in particular areas of interest, micro-learning certainly has a lot of positive outcomes but in terms of whether or not they will be come the standard for degree offering in higher education, I don’t think the model lends itself to the needs and expectations of higher education. Higher education takes topics and unpacks them in a lot of breadth, focusing on various aspects that are of importance to the lecturer or to the degree, to such a point that idea of quickly and simply unpacking them in a microlearning context isn’t reasonable or possible within the model. Secondly the cohort of students that is created within the higher education creates cross-sector networks that are vital to the continued evolution of each sector and the creation of new ones or new ways of thinking. While the scale-ability and costs are very much in favour of these institutions’ P&L I think there is a loss of academic integrity that can’t be made up in the microlearning format.
    If, however, we are talking about using microlearning within a hybrid context, I absolutely see these as the standard going forward. Allowing students, and professors, to focus in on specific points of interest within a larger topic area, to hone skills to niche markets (such as doctors who do their specializations) I see microlearning positioned well to help our next workforce come out of these institutions better prepared and with a stronger knowledge base. The caveat to this is in regards to the partnerships created between the institutions and private companies, so as not to “live on an island”. My worry here is that stronger partnerships, more advantageous for the private company could impact the academic integrity of the institution or in some way change the ideology of the institutions or instructor such that it becomes less about knowledge acquisition and critical thinking and more about how to prepare for a job in specific companies.

1. alexis reeves

Hi Kyle, in terms of the social aspect of microlearning, you can use discussion forums as a part of microlearning solutions which could help with that particular aspect as well as leaderboards presented in some microlearning apps that add the illusion of togetherness and peer competition. However, having that in-person socialization in terms of peer-to-peer learning aspect is something that cannot be directly addressed by microlearning unless students are using it in the classroom as a part of a group quiz, game or learning objective to be covered collaboratively. It seems microlearning is more geared towards personal learning and addressing each person’s specific learning needs. You also made some excellent points about the use of microlearning aiding specializations in higher education and I too believe that this will continue to be useful in future additional learning opportunities. I can see this being especially prevalent for the IT sector as microlearning can help keep up with the newest distribution of knowledge faster because of its low cost to operate and simple way of distributing up-to-date knowledge. I appreciated your point about the partnerships between higher education institutions and workplaces perhaps losing their academic integrity in some ways due to these partnerships and it is definitely something for these institutions to ponder going forward.

20. mstr

Forecasting: I do think microlearning will become a prominent trend in higher education, however, it may take a while. As mentioned above the business market and work-based learning industries have and will continue to adopt this new methodology, but higher education is much more indoctrinated in policy and bureaucracy. By nature, academia is a slow-moving machine, and major reform in the near future seems unlikely.

1. Anna Ayoung-Stoute

Hi Meagan,

I agree, but I think the wheels will turn faster than we anticipate since the needs of students have drastically changed with the pandemic. Particularly with those who have returned to school. They want either a new career or upskill; therefore, focus on what is most relevant to get them back out in the workforce. And, microlearning/micro-credentials affords that opportunity. Higher education institutions recognize the demand for this type of learning, but I agree that reform will take time just a little faster than expected.

21. Ally Darling-Beaudoin

2. Reflection: After reviewing the pros and cons, do you think the good outweighs the bad for microlearning in higher education, or is there a need for improvement? ——– I think the growth of microlearning is inevitable, given the commodity of time and the overall cost of getting an education. And, with the added complication that the “jobs” we are skilling for are often created as technology changes, microlearning is a great, quick-start approach to teaching and learning. In this “response to the world we live in”, I’d say microlearning does more good than bad, but whether or not those changes are welcome is another matter…! 4. Forecasting: Once you reviewed Future in Microlearning in Higher Education and information you have gathered from our OER. Do you think microcredential degrees will become the new standard in higher education? ——– I think microcredentialling degrees will become more common as technology enhances, but in the interim I think that the “traditional” degree will become supplemented with microlearning as required. You may still have your standard courses, but 25% of the course load may reappear as a “microlearning” opportunities.

1. Anna Ayoung-Stoute

Hi Ally,

I don’t think microlearning will be as accepted in higher education compared to other professions. Higher education is now learning to be agile and adapt to learning environments. Traditional courses, as you say, will remain for a while; however, micro-credential degrees will inevitably become a standard in higher education since there is a demand. Or, for the very least, as you mention, it will be combined with traditional degrees, but I don’t think that would be sustainable in the long run. I enjoyed reading your forecasting thank you for commenting.

22. Hayley Mooney

Forecasting: Once you reviewed Future in Microlearning in Higher Education and information you have gathered from our OER. Do you think micro credential degrees will become the new standard in higher education? I certainly think microlearning is going to have a larger part to play in higher education. That being said, I doubt they will become the new standard, and picture more of a hybrid usage of them as part of larger courses. Of course, this could change if credentials became more… credible. If degrees could be formed by taking a mishmash of courses from a variety of sources, then microlearning would likely have a much larger part in the game. At the moment all the online certificates of completion seem unlikely to truly impress future employers.

1. Anna Ayoung-Stoute

Hi Hayley, I tend to disagree mainly since micro-credentials are a way for students to upskill and get promotions or switch careers. Future employers will recognize the degrees as it is more about the skill than the degree. The biggest complaint employers have is that students are graduating and do not have the skills for the job. And students often feel ill-prepared for the workforce. I agree with you that micro-credentials will more than likely not be the standard unless blended with traditional courses or part of a more extensive program. However, I would not discount their value as they are skill-building courses. I have enjoyed your comments throughout our week.

23. JacksonLiang

Forecasting:
    After reviewing the Future in Microlearning in Higher Education, I think that micro credential degrees will have a standard in higher education but would likely be blended with traditional courses. I feel as if the degrees we have today that are for macrolearning purposes would be a way to get one’s foot in the door so to speak. However, to climb up, I see microlearning courses providing that boost up to help people that are hoping to climb their professional career.

1. Anna Ayoung-Stoute

Hi Jackson,

Thank you for your comment. My viewpoint is along those lines as well. It will be blended with traditional courses. The potential for micro-credential degrees to be standard whereby it is a stand-alone like traditional courses would be challenging to achieve in higher education. However, degrees today need to provide students with more opportunities for experiential learning. You are correct in saying that microlearning provides the upskilling students need to climb the career ladder.

24. Terri-Lynn McLeod

Thank you for your resource! Icebreaker: One thing that surprised me is that microlearning improves retention by 80%. I would have thought that with information coming so quickly, it wouldn’t necessarily have a chance to be retained. It seemed to me that a course with time for repetition and practice would have better retention. Reflection: For most programs in higher education, I think that there is definitely room for improvement. For microlearning to lead to a degree, there needs to be a great deal of organization and consistency between the courses at any institution. A whole program would be a very intricate web of courses and pathways leading to the overall degree. In higher learning outside of degree programs, such as adult community learning, there are many advantages. Learners can choose courses which are useful and of interest to them without the need to commit to a full degree program. Comparative: I believe that microlearning is least effective in curricular-based programs. In these programs there are connections between courses. Microlearning would make it difficult to ensure that students have the requisite skills and knowledge for the program. In curricular-based programs, time for practice and mastery of content is essential. Forecasting: I am not so sure that microlearning will or should become a standard in higher education. It should be used to augment, but not replace, macrolearning. Many programs require much more in-depth learning than can take place in microlearning courses.

25. Marie-Eve Masse

Thank you for this resource Alexis and Anna, great work on your OER! I believe microlearning has its place in higher education but not for every topic. As you mentioned in your cons, sometimes a subject is too complicated to be captured in minutes on its own. I’ve always seen high education as a space where you get to ‘connect the dots’, if these dots are taught separately, then is it too difficult for the learner to connect them? I believe so.
    As someone that works in the workplace learning space, I am a bit fan of the idea of microlearning. Unfortunately, the environment our employees are in (outdoors caring for kids) doesn’t lend itself well to it. That said, it’s a medium that our employees relate to well and absorb the information well with. We are continuously striving to figure out how we can meet their learning development needs.

1. Anna Ayoung-Stoute

Hi Marie-Eve,

Microlearning is not meant for every subject to attain a degree or take courses. But, it can be used to enhance learning when it comes to complex ideas that students are struggling to comprehend. But, it would be challenging to incorporate microlearning in your work environment, so I see the obstacles you are referring to. I think microlearning, like all learning strategies, does have its limits. Thank you for joining the discussion.

26. John Wu

Forecasting: Once you reviewed Future in Microlearning in Higher Education and information you have gathered from our OER. Do you think microcredential degrees will become the new standard in higher education? On a short term level, no I don’t think so as formal degrees (eg: Bachelors/Masters) will probably be still considered as the standard to assessing a person’s background and capabilities (not always accurate though). However, I do think there is strong value in Microlearning certificates such as extended learning programs or adult education courses for forming a better picture of a candidate. So essentially the formal degree would be seen as a preliminary factor/entrance ticket while Microlearning is used to maintain and upkeep individuals with the latest skills and knowledge. As for the far future, who knows, maybe degrees will indeed be replaced by Microlearning.

1. Anna Ayoung-Stoute

Hi John, I think you are right. They do have a substantial value in becoming programs for extended learning or adult education which they are now. But, perhaps branching into undergraduate and master’s is not the way to go. The idea of certification is probably their most robust path where these types of programs should remain in higher education. Valid point!!!

27. robyn godard

I think microlearning is such an exciting space, so thanks for sharing this information. Upon initial review of your OER what I found most noteworthy were the statistics around retentions (80%) and engagement (50%). I did not realize how effective microlearning can be, but it is great to see these statistics speaking to the success of this type of learning.
    Reflection # 2: I definitely think the good outweighs the bad for microlearning and that it is an exciting disruption in education. I don’t think that micro education is a replacement for macro education but instead a great supplement or addition.
    Reflection # 4: I think that micro credentials will continue to become a big part of higher education however I don’t think that it will completely replace higher ed. For certain types of learning it is a great resource, but for other more technical learning there could be better tools. Universities will need to innovate and join the micro-credential trend seen in the corporate world in order to ensure that students are leaving higher education with the resources required to find a job or I think they will risk falling behind.

1. Anna Ayoung-Stoute

Hi Robyn,

I also did not realize the impact of microlearning until I began researching the topic and was surprised at the statistics. Traditional education needs disruption, and microlearning is causing institutions to rethink their learning strategies. I don’t think it will be replacing traditional courses, but I can see a blend. It cannot be implemented in all disciplines since macrolearning is better suited depending on the subject. But, it can be used as an additional tool for learning to help students prepare for the workforce. Thank you for your comment!

28. Anna Ayoung-Stoute

We decided to provide the SURVEY results today to give everyone a chance to participate. For the results, you can return to our Future of Microlearning in Higher Education page for a complete breakdown of the results. Though the sample was small, I think it reflects our discussion: https://sites.google.com/view/etec522microlearninghigered/future-of-microlearning-in-higher-education