Jocelyn’s Intro

Hello All,

I’m new here to this blogging format (though I dabbled a bit with my own personal UBC blog in ETEC 540 last term) so bear with me as I navigate these uncharted waters. I am currently on maternity leave with my 5 month old and also have a full blown toddler who is turning 3 in the winter. We all just returned from a family trip to Vancouver and explored beautiful Tofino (refer to the featured image for proof) For work, I am an elementary teacher with the Toronto District School Board and have taught for ten years, the past 4 years in Kindergarten.

When it comes to business and ventures, I would put myself in the “novice” category- my last business course was in high school (does that even count?) and most of my business news comes from my partner in finance. So why did I enroll in this course you may ask? The thought of challenging myself to try something new was one aspect- as an educator I have the opportunity to use different learning technologies in the classroom. Being able to take a different perspective to learn about emerging technologies and to experience learning innovations was the main reason for the this course selection. Also the idea of active role playing as an ‘venture creator’ or ‘analyst’ was intriguing and chance to try a new role other than teacher and/or mom. So here we go on this adVENTURE together!

3 responses to “Jocelyn’s Intro”

1. Kendal

Hi Jocelyn, nice to “meet” you here.

Tofino is sure a dreamy place, and that’s great you were able to get out for an island holiday before school commenced. I also feel like I am in the novice category and have a lot to learn… perhaps that feeling that I don’t know how much I don’t know has emerged… but I am also excited to adventure with you and the rest of this cohort. See you on the inside!

2. SafaaAbuSaa

Hi Jocelyn,

Like you, I am new to this blogging format in the MET. It looks not so user-friendly, but I am going to give it a chance.
    Like you, I am a mother of 2 kids and I live in the GTA.
    We share the same motivation for taking this course: an opportunity to challenge ourselves and explore new things.
    I hope you have a thrilling & meaningful adventure!

3. Michelle To

Hi Jocelyn, just as you, I am very new to this blogging style of classroom. I am sure you will be able to familiarize yourself with this format after the first fee weeks. I really appreciate your adVENTURE-ous thought in exploring new roles and opportunities in your current environment, As you have commended in my post, intimidating is very accurate in describing our feelings as we move on to the second week of the term. Good luck in the course and I look forward working along with you and the rest of the cohort!