How Technology is Shaping Learning in Higher Education – McKinsey

This report focused on the experiences of students and educators from institutions of higher education in the United States with educational technology used during the switch to online learning necessitated at the start of the COVID-19 pandemic. It categorizes educational technologies and has clear information about which were used most frequently and which students and staff perceived to be the most valuable. It highlights students interest in tools that are “entertaining and efficient”, as well as faculty members perceptions of which tools are most valuable given the their impact and the time it takes to implement them. This information could be used to determine which areas of educational technology are worth investing in and developing further based on user experience from faculty and students.

https://www.mckinsey.com/industries/education/our-insights/how-technology-is-shaping-learning-in-higher-education

2 responses to “How Technology is Shaping Learning in Higher Education – McKinsey”

1. Paul Brown

This is a really well presented resource. The mix of simply written information, data, infographics and charts make it easily digestible and informative. I found the student data on what technologies they found valuable and were interested in especially interesting. For example, 88% of students think VR will make learning more entertaining but only 5% think it will improve their learning or ability to master a topic. This is the type of data and is useful when looking at implementing different technologies and what some resistance or barriers to implementation might occur. It is also useful on how you might market certain technologies to different stakeholders. I have bookmarked this for later use!

2. emma markoff

I am grateful Katie shared this! Though technology isn’t new to the world, the amount of technology integrated into technology would be what I considered “new”-ish, at least, and COVID-19 completely immersed us, giving us the opportunity to truly be able to experience and thus review/categorize the technology used.

I also appreciate the focus the article places on how to engage effectively with students. While many instructors may be used to how to engage with students prior to technology incoming, the reality is that technology is a part of education and I appreciate when instructors can use this to their advantage. This includes taking students’ interests (i.e., entertaining technology) into account – i.e., how 80% of students citing activities of interest leading to improved academic performance – as this gives students an opportunity to be excited about education. To me, this is a crucial piece of education. I often relate this to my workplace: when I am interested in my work, and am able to have a “long leash” on my creative work, I am happier and much more motivated to do the work. I like how this article reflects the same for students in school.