A3 Venture Pitch: Executive

Welcome to Executive, the extension that makes Executive Functioning support functional for those who need it most.

Looking forward to your feedback.

Emily

15 responses to “A3 Venture Pitch: Executive”

1. emma pindera

What a great interactive experience! And an amazing solution!!

2. Justine

I absolutely love this idea! I can see this being a hugely beneficial in an intermediate classroom, for students in higher education, and for adults in the professional workforce! It is an easy to use addition to the toolbar. It is easily accessible which is great for the intermediate students, as they learn to get accustom to this tool bar. The tools that you included in the add-on would definitely benefit people who need support with executive functioning. I like the symbols you used, as they are catchy and easy to understand. The usability of this feature is a huge strength to your pitch. The comparison of your add-on with other executive functioning competitors was great – as a potential investor, this was important to see. I like the idea of giving everyone a free trial, and teachers free access to the site. I would even add on school/district subscriptions. I know that if this was used in our school by a few teachers, all of the teachers would want it, and why not take advantage of this situation and charge a school wide or district wide subscription, so that this add-on could be added to all teacher and student devices. That is my one and only suggestion. Considering you are asking for a $5,000 investment for 30% equity, I would absolutely say yes I will invest in this company. Great work, Emily! I can see this being a very successful company.

1. Justine

Sorry, I forgot to put that this was a REVIEW.

2. EmilyOlson

Hey Justine, thanks for your review, I’m glad you like the idea! If you think this would be valuable to support students in your district you should check out Read&Write for Google Chrome. It’s an existing extension toolbar that works similarly and has some of the same tools – it’s more literacy focused than EF, but it was a big inspiration. Teachers can sign up to use it for free, and some districts in BC have purchased subscriptions that are available for students to use! https://www.texthelp.com/products/free-for-teachers/

…but once Executive is developed and available your district should purchase it instead 😉

3. Kendal

FEEDBACK: Hi Emily, I think this is a great idea and an effective pitch. You’ve clearly identified a problem, and your solution seems to effectively fill the need. The only thing I think that I would like to know more about as an EVA is the type of market that you are going into – I’m curious about how profitable the competitors have been in this market and how much there is to gain. Not sure if that’s possible with an endeavor like this but it just came to mind. Thanks so much for your professional approach to a great tool!

1. EmilyOlson

Hi Kendal, thanks for your response. I had a difficult time with the market valuation as there are so many varied levels of success with extensions that have features that could support EF, and I couldn’t find a suite of tools specifically for EF support like Executive. But the most successful similar options I found were Read&Write and Kurzweil – both are profitable and successful, but both have been around for quite a while (Kurzweil with various different hardware and software iterations where they built a client base, and Read&Write with a suite of other supports that work on different platforms), so it was hard to compare. My honest take is this would be a slow build to being successful, but I thought it was worth pitching as I do see a notable need for something like this in schools.

4. joseph villella

FEEDBACK: Hi Emily, I love your idea! Executive is a clear solution to the problem you defined, and it is something that I would love to be able to use in my classroom. The design of it is clean and very simple which shows that you clearly thought this idea through. I think you probably could ask for more funding (or same funding with less equity given up) based on the idea. Overall, great idea!

1. EmilyOlson

Hi Joseph, thanks for your response! Re: funding, I had the same thought once I looked at everyone else’s pitches – it’s interesting to get my head around this role and the value of ed tech ventures!

5. Michelle To

FEEDBACK: Great idea! Evecutive will be a worth investing product. Digital planning is a rising trend and the problem you have mentioned it’s very real. I am one of those who struggled with familiarizing with one of the tools and at the end unable to keep up with it. Given the convenience by just clicking once and having everything set in place, this will be an effective tool for students in their learning. I would have invested in it if I was an investor.

6. Leon Lam

FEEDBACK: Great idea and love that it is all in one place. The world is becoming more distracting by the minute and this is a direct solution to that problem.

7. Petros Katsigiannis

REVIEW: Hello Emily, This was an excellent venture pitch. Not only does Executive look very beneficially for the user, but it can attract a variety of audiences in the education and several other sectors, and it is inclusive to all. The elevator pitch hooked me into your product, and the presentation further showed me why I would invest in your venture. Your solution (Executive, which combines all the tools into one extension) certainly caters to fixing your problem (EFs resources being scattered in different places and hard to access at times). Your financial demands and projected growth seem very reasonable considering what your product will be inputting in the market, and its potential to grow. Regarding the advertising, I would also recommend publicizing the product to different educational institutions/schoolboards. Maybe they can also push your product even more forward (better consumer reach) and to their schools, because in my school board in Montreal, every student has access to a Chromebook, and your product would help so many students. Thank you for your great work!

8. Jocelyn

FEEDBACK:
    Hi Emily,
    As I look at my screen my right now, I can see how useful the Executive platform would be! Your elevator pitch makes clear the purpose and goals of Executive and does an effective job in explaining the reasons behind it. The visual of how it would look like and work was extremely helpful to envision its ease of use. It reminded me of Read&Write Gold- the comparative analysis chart with competitors was helpful in understanding your competitive advantage. The targeted advertising method through IG and TikTok users was an interesting choice seeing as these are typically viewed on mobile devices and Executive runs on a computer, there seems to be a slight disconnect but I can understand the need to target the audience. I think your venture is worth more than you are asking investors!

9. Liana

REVIEW: Hi Emily, great venture pitch. Being that I still rely on sticky notes to help keep me organized (lol), I’m always interested in ways executive functioning can be best digitized and not just become another tool or app to add to the growing list that I already juggle. In the early years of Macbooks, they had a sticky note feature which I thought would help keep me organized. Although it was somewhat useful, I was only able to access my to-do list when I was on my computer, which wasn’t helpful while running errands or away from the computer. I think your idea can have potential and I like that Executive is compatible with already existing tools like Google Calendar. I do however wonder about the proprietary features of it as I feel like a larger corporation such as Google could easily replicate the idea and implement it in their already existing platform.

1. Liana

*EDIT: this should be labeled “FEEDBACK”

10. Katie M

REVIEW:
    Hi Emily,

Your elevator pitch was very engaging and your venture pitch was wonderful at addressing most of my questions about how the product would function. I do wonder if there is a bit of a missed opportunity there in terms of marketing it directly to inclusion teams or school boards. I understand that teachers will have access to a free account but I have to wonder how many students would purchase the add-on even after a free trial. This seems like the kind of product that school boards might invest in to have available on all student laptops as it checks a lot of boxes in addressing adaptations for a number of students’ IEPs.

I think that the product itself is a great idea and that you have a very realistic estimate of the cost of creating the product. This toolbar dresses some of the most frustrating parts of executive disfunction when using online tools. I would definitely invest in this venture, especially when you are able to gather more information about how it might be priced.