A1 Analyst Report: Spatial.io

Spatial.io is a developer of holographic meeting platform aimed at creating a AR/VR working environment. How does it work?

• Create a lifelike avatar and work as if next to each other.
  • Transform your room into your monitor and then fill it with information.
  • Use all of your favorite existing tools so your workflow remains intact.
  • And use any device, including VR/AR headsets, your desktop, or your phone to participate.

The end result? Work that doesn’t feel like work.

My company has been exploring the use of technology in the classroom for many years. This year, we decided to look into the use of VR in the classroom. My first VR experience was at a Taiwanese VR headset development company called XRSpace. We are currently working in collaboration by providing video learning content in their store. I think hardware and software are equally important to create a meaningful VR learning experience, and Spatial.io creates a very easy introduction into the VR world.

You can view my Analyst Report here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMf5oGNuguE&feature=youtu.be

Reflection

Before this project, I had a very general idea about what VR is. Nevertheless, I chose this topic because I needed to learn more about it so that I can take part in the decision-making process in my company about how and when to introduce VR in our learning centers for teaching English to children 3-15 years old.

After selecting the general topic of VR as my EVA report, I realized that VR headset was only a part of the equation, having good content and software was equally important. I looked at lots of VR apps used for the purpose of education, but Spatial really caught my eye. When doing research into this VR content developer, I saw the potential of this APP revolutionizing the way people work and learn. Many articles online described the VR meeting experience as working as if we can sit next to each other. This is a great solution for people to solve the frustration of not being engaged in video conferences due to a lack of life-like cooperation and interaction.

Having a lot of media exposure such as magazine interviews of the founders, TED talks, and internet tech reviews increased my trust level in this company. I also noticed that their product appeared in other VR headset developer’s official website or releases such as Magic Leap and Microsoft Hololense, which added to the credibility of Spatial.

This project helped me to not only learn about VR and Spatial.io, it also helped me understand the importance of using real world data to analyze things. Reading about how Spatial.io advertised online, it also helped me to realize that is important to show in Assignment 3, which is creating a venture pitch.

-Emily Chen