Venture Pitch: Edulate

Welcome to Edulate; an indoor positioning app expressly for schools! The elevator pitch will briefly explain the impacts this app can have, while the venture pitch delves more into its capabilities.

Enjoy!

This is the Venture Pitch. Please open in another tab and enjoy!

( Average Rating: 3.5 )

13 responses to “Venture Pitch: Edulate”

1. Justine

FEEDBACK: Greg, I think Edulate is a great idea. I specifically think it is super strategic for schools in America considering the series of events that have unfortunately played out within the buildings over the past few years. I think a huge concern with this would be privacy. However, it also solves the problem of intruders in a school building. We actually had a secure and hold the other day due to someone being on the school property who wasn’t supposed to be here. Therefore, Edulate definitely solves that problem. I might have missed it but I didn’t see the investment opportunity posed for investors?

1. greg patton

Thanks Justine!
      I’ve thought about the privacy issue a lot… but I find it interesting how many kids intentionally allow apps like Snapchat to know their location wherever they go without a second thought about it. If anything, our data would be on safe servers within our school (in Canada!) and not somewhere else.
      Sorry for the mix up on the Venture piece… I uploaded the wrong thing! Fixed it up if you’re interested.

Take care,
      Greg

2. SafaaAbuSaa

Hi Greg,
    It seems you have attached the wrong presentation. The one here is for a different assignment.

1. greg patton

Thanks Safaa! I fixed it up… too much going on around here!

3. joseph villella

FEEDBACK: Hi Greg, I like the idea of Edulate and believe it could be very beneficial in secondary and post-secondary schools. The ability to create a digital “mesh’ between students through the Geofence system also sounds like such a cool instance of technology. It has the ability to increase student safety and also school efficiency. As mentioned above, I believe you accidentally attached the wrong file. I am assuming that your financial information would be in your in-depth venture pitch which is the only information I am curious about. I really like the idea though!

1. greg patton

Thanks Joseph!
      As an administrator I love how this app would really approve school efficiency. No more “I didn’t hear the announcements! No one reminded me of that! I didn’t know there was a change in my schedule!”
      Sorry about uploading the wrong file… too much going on!

Take care,

Greg

4. Kendal

FEEDBACK: Hi Greg, this is such a cool idea! There are lots of elements to Edulate that I think would really improve at-school experience for kids and your scenarios have really helped visualize this. I think the product has a lot to offer. Something that would be helpful in your venture pitch would to know about the competitors. For someone like me who does not work in a school, I’m unsure if there are similar products on the market, and if so, how Edulate is different. Thanks again!

1. greg patton

Thanks Kendal!

There are a few companies that offer Indoor Positioning Analytics to the business world (I examined one company called Inpixon quite closely) but none that have direct focus on education. That is the main difference with Edulate; it would be entirely focused on working with educational facilities with what their needs are, which are quite different than those of, like, a mall or assembly factory.

Have a great weekend!

Greg

5. SafaaAbuSaa

FEEDBACK: This is an interesting venture with a lot of potential and benefits. The educational potential is thoroughly and clearly explained. As an EVA, I would have liked to learn about financial projections, ROI, marketing strategies, and competition. Thank you

6. Petros Katsigiannis

FEEDBACK: Hello Greg! Thank you for a very interesting venture pitch. Edulate seems like a product that would help create an inclusive and safe environment at school. The geofence feature is incredible in order to protect faculty and students. Your product would also save teachers time which is something teachers need. Saving 5-10 minutes with Edulate can give me the opportunity as a teacher to use those minutes for classroom tasks. Edulate also brings several educational benefits that will make education more fluid and safe. I really enjoyed reading your venture pitch, and I think you have a good product, and you seem to be heading in the right direction.

7. Katie M

REVIEW:

Hi Greg,
    I really enjoyed your thorough description of the product and how the school experience could be fundamentally changed by its implementation. As a teacher who once taught in a high school, I could see an app like this being well-utilized and enjoyed by both teachers and students. Although it is not quite the same thing, I do believe that can help disseminate messages about schedule changes etc… to students but that don’t have the geo-fence feature. I would enjoy hearing about how you see this proceeding from a financial standpoint, both how much the app would cost and how much you would be charging students, parents or school districts for use of the app. I would also be interested to know what kind of funding you would be looking for to be able to get this venture off the ground.
    You addressed privacy concerns in your response to other classmates giving you feedback and I think that you are right in saying that students readily surrender their privacy for the purposes of participating in social media apps. It is somewhat different of a scenario though when it becomes mandatory to surrender privacy in order to access their basic right to an education. Despite this, I would invest in Edulate because, in many ways, it is less invasive than necessary security precautions being rolled out in US schools as a response to security concerns and could improve the school experience for students.
    Katie Muzyka

8. Michelle To

FEEDBACK: Edulate is something exciting to see. I would see the potential but I am not sure how sustainable this would be. To maintain the system, will there be a person doing it or AI working at it? Privacy is a potential issue in Edulate and I think it could raise some controversy about this. However, I would think this pitch could attract investors..

9. Liana

REVIEW: Hi Greg, thanks for sharing your venture and providing insight into your idea. One suggestion I can provide would be to add a voiceover to your pitch to allow for a more interactive and inclusive pitch. My immediate concern with Edulate and the geofencing idea (which by the way is a really great idea) was related to privacy. I don’t think it would be as much of a concern in post-secondary settings, however in K-12 educational settings, I think it would be something parents and administrators would have immediate concerns over. I wonder how well people will take to the proximity messaging as I could see it becoming a nuisance if too frequent, or irrelevant, causing students to turn off notifications. I already have notifications for email and apps turned off as I do not like having to be “on” all day long. I couldn’t imagine having notifications constantly pinging at me for random things like lunch activities. That being said, I am a little ‘old-school’ that way, and think younger generations, which seems to be your target audience, might appreciate this feature more. With automatic attendance, could there be potential for friends to sign in to an app on a secondary device allowing students to be signed in and recorded as being present, yet not having to physically be in class? Food for thought. I would need more information related to the financial investment and market numbers to be able to consider Edulate for an investment. Aside from the financials, it is not a concept I am passionate about and would likely decline this offer as an investor. Overall, I think this digitized concept is something we may see in the future, particularly in an international market.