Review of Top ten Tech prediction…

Review of Top ten Tech predictions for 2011 – By Chris Dawson

I personally have some difficulty with the idea that education is a marketplace.  For many years I believed that classrooms should be commerce-free, but I now realize, particularly since starting this MET program, that the digital learning experience has a price-tag. With all the upcoming technological trends it is thus important to evaluate their educational value whether from a venturer’s, a learning technologies specialist’s or an educator’s perspective – as all three seem intricately linked.  I chose to review the Top 10 Tech predictions for 2011:  Chris Dawson’s Top 5 Ed Tech Predictions for 2011, as well as Adam Garry’s Top 5 Ed Tech Trends. I felt that this type of technical review would be complimentary to my view as both an educator and a prospective venturer.  Since the 5 trends presented concentrate on learning platforms I also thought that this would also lend itself well to adult learning and teaching – where my interests lie.

Overview of Adam Garry’s Top 5 Ed Tech Trends\Predictions for 2011

Learning initiative vs. tech initiative

I completely agree with Adam Garry, Dell’s manager of global professional learning, as he relates that learning platforms need to be well designed and integrated to provide a basis for learning with technology.  I love their quote ‘1:1 should be a learning initiative instead of a tech initiative’ – I agree.  So many times teachers simply throw in technology just for the sake of it, but technology should be an integral part of learning.

Personalized learning vs. differentiated instruction

The idea of truly personalized learning, according to Adam Garry, is an achievable goal, as we step away from LMS to learning platforms that allow students to access a multitude of digital learning tools.  I particularly found it exciting to imagine platforms that can offer personalized formative and summative assessments, as well as provide learning based on students’ learning styles and specific needs. Adam also relates that Web 2.0 tools could further provide more authentic opportunities for learners to assess their learning. Product-based web 2. 0 tools can encourage students to ‘show’ their learning in creative ways, allowing them to demonstrate their understanding beyond standardized tests.

As an educator I believe that this is the way of the future, and from a venturer’s point of view I can imagine many possible learning ventures that could cater to this form of learning and teaching.

Of course the 1:1 learning theory is for many school boards and learning institutions financially impossible, for the idea of personalized learning requires restructuration of the school system – a challenge and long-term goal at best. The integration of such technology is also a big reminder of the digital divide that exists . . .

Overview of Chris Dawson’s Top 5 Ed Tech Predictions for 2011

This report on the top 5 Ed Techs for 2011, is simple (for the newbie like myself) and can be of interest to both educational specialists and venturers alike.

Tablets

Dawson feels these devices are going to be essential when envisioning the 1:1 learning initiative. The tablet is both a tool that allows easy access and creation of content, while it also provides easy access to the internet and to e-textbooks.  Some tablets are compared, such as the Inspiron Duo, the Android 3.0, the second generation I-Pad – but further research would need to be made to really compare the pros and cons of the different makes. Dawson promotes these devices as inexpensive, but I believe that the initial investment would be beyond most school budgets.  

Thin computing

Thin computing is a whole new concept to me, and as an educator offers particularly attractive applications providing the possibility to store large amounts of information, and ways for students to communicate. The author covers a wide variety of products, such as Windows MultiPoint Server, Linux-based MultiPoint competitor, Google’s Chrome Notebook, VNC and Citrix applications, which, according to Dawson, appear to be relatively inexpensive devices and IT products. Unfortunately, this report does not offer much detail about these devices and products and further exploration of each would be necessary to see which one fits best for specific educational settings.

Cloud-Based Tools

Chris Dawson boasts that Google Apps, Live@Edu, and Journ(i)e are social learning platforms that allow students to submit their work online.  I feel that this is a way educators could motivate students to learn in creative ways. Because these are free apps they also provide an inexpensive learning platform. Despite the popularity of these tools, once again educators have to be willing to explore and become familiar with these apps to properly integrate them within their course curriculum.

E-textbooks

According to Dawson, Kindle is a limited tool; although it provides a great way to carry a great deal of reading content there are now other tools that offer more.  The iPad, tablets, Google eBooks, open source books, as well as sites that produce teacher and student content provide a variety of digital assets that are for the main part free and accessible. As an educator I believe the fact digital assets are more easily accessible is of outmost importance. This trend particularly opens up learning venture possibilities for the broader community of global educators.

Dawson, C. (n.d.) Top 10 Ed Tech predictions for 2011.Retrieved May 15 from ZDNet Education.

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/education/top-10-ed-tech-predictions-for-2011/4382

Posted in: Uncategorized