SMALLab

SMALLab stands for Situated Multimedia Arts Learning Lab and it was founded by an interdisciplinary team at Arizona State University led by the CEO, David Birchfield. Birchfield has a Doctorate in Music and a background in digital media and performance.

David Birchfield, CEO of SMALLab

He and his team do research on games, K-12 education, assessment, digital media programming, development of critical thinking skills and learning capabilities. Each person has a particular strength in one or more of the following: subject matter, media, learning, psychology or business skills.  The overlap of skills seems that it would allow for easy communication and smoother development of games. The variety of subjects covered (science, math, music) means that the company is able to produce a great variety of products to meet the needs of schools. Unfortunately, I couldn’t find information about the board or advisors of SMALLab.

SMALLab is a company that produces activities where an interactive screen is projected on the floor or a wall and students experience “embodied learning”. This means that students learn by simultaneously moving around and interacting with content. It’s well worth the 11 minutes it takes to watch a video that explains and demonstrates the concept.

http://smallablearning.com/news

The company has branched out and now has development centres in different parts of the United States. They accept game development ideas from outsiders offering assistance in the form of developer video tutorials and an eight-week program called Professional Development by Design. Such initiatives will allow SMALLab to grow by using outsiders’ expertise, which means that the company can still devote plenty of resources to research and further development of their products. Since 2005, the group has published more than 30 articles related to embodied learning. The emphasis on research lends significant credibility to the group’s work. Being part of a university means that there will be a continuous flow of graduate students with fresh ideas and mastery of different subjects to further nurture the company’s growth and increase its longevity. Many of these characteristics match those described by De Coster & Butler (2005) and are indicators of success for this company.

My entrepreneurial potential lies in my knowledge and experience in chemistry, both in the field and in labs. Combined with my experience in various teaching environments and my experience and course work in management, these skills would allow me to contribute strongly to science education ventures. I would ideally collaborate with others who have a background in education, sciences and technological design and business.

De Coster, R & Butler, C. (2005). Assessment of proposals for new technology ventures in the UK: Characteristics of university spin-off companies. Technovation, 25, 535-543. doi:10.1016/j.technovation.2003.10.002

Posted in: Week 04: Entrepreneur Bootcamp