W02: If Every Learner Had Just One Mobile Technology It Would Be…

I once had a company that built the only wireless laptop in the world designed exclusively for K-12 education.  This was years before the “one laptop per child” movement began, but at that time I really did believe that if every child in the world had something that worked like a networked laptop, truly transformative education could begin.  I’m not sure I believe this any more, at least not about the “laptop” form factor.  This question is considerably more interesting in the mobile age.  What do you think?

INSTRUCTIONS:

1. Read through a set of the existing responses below.  Use the Thumbs Up tool to recommend any within your set that you believe are exceptionally valuable, or that you strongly agree with. Use the Thumbs Down tool only if, in your opinion, the response does not add value to the discussion.
  2. If you have something new and valuable to add, use the Comment (“Leave a Reply”) field at the bottom of this post to contribute your original thoughts, or click on Reply to any existing Comment to contribute to that thread.

99 responses to “W02: If Every Learner Had Just One Mobile Technology It Would Be…”

1. clareyeh

I would love to see school districts invest money into their students in terms of providing student-assigned learning devices. I have had to rely on technology donations and apply for scholarships in order for my classrooms to have their own set of laptops these past few years. In addition, learning support and alternate education does not have a budget for technology. It’s sad to see how limited we are in public school systems with our financial needs and all.

An android tablet would be perfect. I found Apple devices to be useless when using istrict wifi and educational software – basically incompatible. An ideal district tablet would allow for students to access their Office365 at all times, Microsoft apps already downloaded, a library and database apps for research and resources, sci-fi calculator, speech-to-text app, mail, picture to dictation, the list can go on…

Students are put back with cell phone use, as educators we have had to implement phone hotels and doing tedious tasks to ask students to put their phones away. So much time is wasted just to verbally remind students to put their devices away. The amount of notifications and temptation to check their social media eliminates mobiles/cell phones as a great source of learning/studying.

2. Sam Paterson

I think that the answer to this question is absolutely a cell phone. It is a tool that they are already familiar with, and most have access to frequently, if not all the time. It has the capacity to access tools that many students need to support any accommodations or needs they might have as learners, communicate freely with others, seek information, and document and record information and ideas.
    Several caveats have already been posted on this discussion topic. Obviously, there is widespread misuse of cellphones in schools. I would argue that this is far more an issue of communication and policy, combined with outdated instructional methods. Students are not given boundaries around acceptable/helpful mobile device use, and the tasks and work they are presented with are no competition to the allure of their unfettered access to a device. In my school, we developed a comprehensive mobile device policy that has resulted in almost no use of mobile devices in impermissible ways. This, in combination with educational approaches that teach students in ways that they find engaging and meaningful, has been very effective.
    One other thing that was mentioned was the availability of distracting, impulsive apps and games on devices. Perhaps there is room in the marketplace for a mobile device that has controls similar to a district-managed Chromebook or similar device. Filters and limitations could hopefully provide guardrails that would keep students on task, while allowing the freedom to take advantage of the affordances that would benefit them personally and academically.

3. olivia barratt

I am answering this question as an educator and I believe the ideal device is an ipad. As Jazz said in her comment, students cannot be trusted with mobile technologies. I have never seen students more addicted to their devices than they are now and it is taking away their social, collaborative and creative skills. Not only that, but it’s taking away from their ability to learn. While I don’t agree with cellphones as an effective educational tool, I do believe that students need some sort of mobile technology to support their learning from time to time. In our school district, we don’t have the budget for a 1:1 laptop program and laptops are expensive to acquire! We have laptops we can use in the school but they are cheap, rarely work and can be more frustrating than useful. In that regard, I believe that iPads are a great solution. They more economically accessible, easy for students to use and can be designed so that students cannot access social media platforms or the games, like BrawlStar, that they are addicted to.

1. Jazz Chapman

BRAWLSTAR NEEDS TO BE ELIMINATED! The students are so addicted to it and I am frankly so over it. Their learning and grades are going down because of it.
      I often use programs like Aha Slides, Curipod, Kahoot, Blooket, and so many more, so a mobile device where they can scan QR codes and allows them to write essays on is imperative. Phones just don’t cut it any more.
      Jazz

2. jeannine younger

Hi Olivia,
      What are your thoughts on Chromebooks? Some of our high schools are one-to-one with Chromebooks rather than laptops which allow them to complete all of their necessary work while still using the accessibility tools some may need and they are a much better deal than ipads.

4. Joel Flanagan

One of the things that stands out to me regarding mobile technologies is their constant evolution and the associated costs of keeping up with these trends and iterations of software and hardware. The continual need to update devices raises concerns about e-waste and environmental impact. Frequent technological iterations come at a high price, often forcing the disposal of older devices that no longer support the latest software versions. Similarly, outdated operating systems may lose support for specific applications, also posing cybersecurity risks due to the inability to receive updates. Planned obsolescence exacerbates this issue, as seen with Apple’s throttling of older iPhones when battery capacity diminishes, encouraging users to upgrade.

The economic burden of upgrading to newer devices amplifies social inequality through the digital divide. Individuals without the means to upgrade are often left behind, as the cost of entry remains high. Depending on financial situations, it can be challenging to keep up with the latest advancements in mobile technology.

5. Jazz Chapman

Personally, I think that mobile phones are causing issues in our High School and Elementary classrooms. Students are addicted to playing games on their phones and it is so frustrating. I had a student spend 30+ minites during class on their phone playing a game and some for 50+ minutes on TikTok. Not to mention, their ‘need’ to use a VPN causes problems because they always claim that they can’t access the class material because it doesn’t work when using a VPN.

Students should not have access to their phones in class, but they should have 1:1 iPads with access to a keyboard OR 1:1 computers. With this said, the internet in the schools needs to reach further and needs to have better reception to allow students to work outside or in other areas of the school (ie. no internet access in the cafeteria).

Hope this makes sense,
    Jasmine

1. olivia barratt

I agree Jazz! Definitely makes sense. I’m seeing the same thing happening in our secondary classrooms to the point where I’ve had to remove cellphones from the classroom entirely. Since then, I’ve seen such an improvement in their social skills and collaboration efforts. When they need to work on an assignment, I try to access laptops for them so that they can still enjoy working with technology in the classroom.

6. Devon Bobowski

I’ve been thinking of how to distill a mobile technology into a unique essence, since so much of it is dependent on other factors (like network access).

I’m going to suggest that what would be the most versatile aspect for learning would be a camera. The ability to document work (artistic, scientific, social), record important details, bring forth observations for discussion, etc. is profound.

Even with students who have not been limited by the one tech rule, camera usage has been mostly positive in my experience. Students take pictures of lab experiments to show a complex experimental setup, or record notes because they were more engaged in a class discussion than copying down a board of details. Or sometimes we need a picture of joke or a birthday celebration to lighten the mood and recognize the community that a classroom can become.

7. kgear

With a slight adjustment to the original question to include supportive infrastructure as well as mobile technology, if i could grant every learner one mere digital affordance, it would be free, fast, fair, unfettered, and universal access to 5/6g wirefless wifi internet connection anywhere on Earth or ocean. Since devices have largely become obsolete in the face of cloud computing and so much incompatibility already exists between diverse companies’ hard and software, why endorse this capitalistic, ecologically destructive phenomenon anymore than we have to? The devices that may be common to all in a decade are probably not even in the brainstorming phases yet, probably only on some dreamboard for some online masters program somewhere. Or maybe humans will plunge into microchip bodily implants wherein we only need to be conscious to be connected? This possibility is terrifying, but it is already on deck for further exploration.

1. Richard Derksen

Hi Kirsten, I like your approach to this question. I made a checklist of things I would want in a mobile technology to help make a nearly impossible choice for the learner and when listing that a mobile technology should be ubiquitous, accessible, affordable, and fits into the larger technological ecosystem, universal access to the internet checks every box.

I also wanted to address your point about what medium that interaction with the internet will look like in the future. I agree that the devices we use today are likely not what we will be using in a decade’s time, but I would ask how do arrive at universal connectivity of 5G or 6G if not through some kind of innovation through capitalism? For your microchip example, there are a number of competitors in the invasive brain-microchip implant market, and I wonder how we arrive at a point where this technology becomes ubiquitous without some form of competition. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts!

8. Sinsi

If it comes to the only one. So from a practical point of view it will be a folding phone. Our mobile phones can basically realize the application of multiple scenarios, but when it comes to deep learning and work, phones are obviously unable to compare with tablets or even notebooks. From a personal point of view, deeper learning requires a larger screen (visual range?). So folding mobile phones with screen projection functions are obviously the most satisfying and achievable mobile technology at the moment. But in fact this is also an assumption based on the fact that we are in a learning environment everyone already used mobile technology. There are even many groups in the world who do not have access to the Internet and who cannot afford mobile devices. For them, I think any device that can access the Internet is enough to bring about huge changes.

9. Elvio Castelli

One mobile technology: I’m not sure if this counts, but for me it would be an internet connection. When I travelled, my devices were nearly useless for eduction, directions and communication without the world wide web.

1. Daniel Edwards

This is something that seems to be always a necessity with mobile technology. It was a surprise for me, as I thought some of my apps were available offline, but while on a plane or outside of service, they didn’t work.

2. rylan klassen

I believe an important part of this discussion is that in order to get apps in the first place, even ones that work offline, you need internet connectivity to download them. There are still so many people who live without the internet, so I do think getting access to it is the gateway to all other mobile technologies and therefore needs to be the one all learners need to have for this aspect. If every learner just had access to the internet, on some device, their access to information would become unlimited.

10. danya sprott

If every learner had just one mobile technology, it would be beneficial for them to be familiar with all of its features. Some technologies will have more innovative, or simply more features than others. I would not be able to pinpoint which specific technology would be best, but I do think that often a lot of the features are left unused because we don’t fully know everything our device is capable of doing. Being able to fully manipulate your device can open up new doors to accessing information or being creative and it can also transfer to technologies we may use in the future.

11. zheng xiong

I love the different opinions you guys have shared about mobile technologies. iPads, laptops, and cellphones are probably on the top list. What I want to bring to the discussion is whether one mobile device is enough. If one mobile device is enough, how come we have multiple devices that keep us busy, and most of the time make us distracted from one device to another. While digital devices make us feel smart, doesn’t mean our ancestors are less intelligent without digital devices. Generations of text technologies have made us this far. It’s also because of text technology that made mobile technology possible. What I’m trying to say is, to have more focus on the content itself, that’s the essence and foundation of any education achievement.

12. sonia virk

I personally think that iPads or tablets have changed the game in terms of mobile technology. I had made a mistake many years ago and spilled Ginger Ale on my laptop that I had spent over $2000 on. It was the first major purchase I had ever made and I was thoroughly upset that I did not have a laptop to do my schoolwork on. Now, even though I much prefer laptops to iPads or tablets, my iPad Air saved me at the time and I was able to complete homework assignments and type with ease with an additional external keyboard. Even now, I own an iPad mini that I use for much of my coursework and also reading. It is excellent on the go as well. I also find my students in class using iPads as well because they are also able to take photos of their work to post onto FreshGrade (our reporting platform) whereas with a laptop that is not entirely possible. Students are also used to using the keypad on an iPad because of their use of mobile devices and rarely complain about having to type on an iPad as opposed to a laptop.

13. Megan Ravenhill

If everyone had just one piece of mobile technology it would be a cell phone. Cellular devices have evolved immensely in the last 10 years. We now can video call, send emails, browse the internet, complete our homework, listen to podcasts, and so much more. Long were the days that cell phones could barely text and were strictly used for quick phone calls. This mobile device can do it all, and if we push for more mobile friendly platforms and interfaces, we can adapt this piece of technology to take over other devices such as laptops and tablets.

14. sebastien renald

I want to extrapolate from this question. If you find yourself on a desert island with a satellite Wifi connection, I opt for a solar Ebook. Why not a tablet then? The energy consumption is far too high and the autonomy would be affected, especially without knowing when the rescue boat will arrive. E-Ink has certain advantages. Even Apple would be interested in it according to recent rumours: https://www.macworld.com/article/702464/e-ink-folding-iphone-ipad-smart-cover-widgets.html.
    My reflection is mainly related to the importance of reading for learning. Mobile technologies with virtual libraries have completely transformed access to books, both to literary classics and to the most recent bestsellers. More and more books are available for free. When I go on a trip, I’m so happy to be able to bring my Ereader and hundreds of books with me while only having a carry-on bag. But to be honest, I read a lot more on my tablet than on my Ereader with today’s news as well as readings for my masters classes.

1. Devon Bobowski

I was initially thinking along the same lines: some sort of mobile devices with preloaded with books, videos, music, etc. Although we tend to take network access for granted, worldwide that’s far from the case (at least not in a consistent, affordable or unrestricted manner).

With the storage capacity of even an out of date mobile phone or tablet, each student could have the equivalent of a substantial library at their disposal. I love all the bells and whistles as much as anyone, but a substantial library seems like a great idea.

15. Eduardo Rebagliati

This is hard to answer because it depends on the unique context each student is facing. One size fits all approaches are often problematic for various reasons. For example, in the ‘one laptop per child’ case differences in access to internet are not considered. Like this, we can identify many other (more subtle) aspects that contribute to the digital divide. Of course, I think there are some needs that can be universal (humans needing water, for example) and that can temporarily apply to technology eras. So in the case of our modern age education system, I would say that at least we would need a combination of internet connection and a mobile device such as a tablet or a smartphone. Access to the internet is where access to knowledge and interaction with other people is found, and a mobile device is thenecessary technology to navigate through which students explore the interconnected world.

16. tamaka fisher

If every learner had one mobile technology it would be a ‘questioner.’ There could be an app that would act as ‘the more knowledgeable other’, absorbing all the information that was being taught to the student and then creating questions to help the student to reflect on, and remember it. If the student had difficulty with the question, the app could return to previous foundational material and then work back up.

The app could could create scenarios to give students the opportunity to analyze and synthesize
    Information, thus decreasing cognitive load and supporting the movement of information into appropriate schemas.

17. JenniferPetrovics

If every learner had just one mobile technology then I would say wifi. I would want all learners in 2022 to have good and dependable access to Wifi. Let me explain. We talk about the ‘one laptop per student’ which is moved to one phone per student, but when we look at equity we often overlook that many families cannot afford wifi or data plans on their phones. So if I were to have every learner with wifi, then I would also want you to take a look outside a city into the country. Many rural communities have a wifi hub or a place where students park outside the school so they can access the ‘free’ wifi on their devices to complete their school work. Personally, I live in an area where when students book an online meeting with me in the afternoon there’s a 50/50 chance that the wifi on either end will not work. So if every learner had unlimited access to wifi I think that’s where the movement should go to next.

1. rika vuong-lam

After reading your post, I come to realize, if they must have one, does that mean they may not have the other? Whats wifi without a laptop or tablet or phone? But what is a laptop, tablet or phone without wifi? hmmmm….

2. danya sprott

Wifi is a good one as accessibility can be a big issue. You could have as many laptops and phones that you want, but without access to online learning resources, the outcomes will be vastly different.

18. Braden Litt

With many mobile devices sharing functionality (such as the tablet vs. laptop prevalently seen in this discussion), I think the ideal mobile technology becomes based on specific features rather than performing all tasks required for learning. If all learners had access to just one mobile technology, I would like it to be one that utilized a collaborative, cloud-based network. As an educator who works with preteens, many are still developing organization and time management skills. It would be an amazing asset to be able to assist from anywhere by setting reminders or dates on shared calendars and have students be notified regardless of the mobile device. It would also invite family members to their student’s educational experience, reducing the friction of only getting an approximation of learning from infrequent report cards, as well as fostering a sense of collaborative community. Additionally, as society shifts towards trends that are environmentally responsible, it would be a small step to be able to distribute, collaborate on and collect learner tasks in a purely digital medium without needing to worry about sharing/emailing files.

19. Aaron Chan

I mentioned this in a previous post, but I feel like this question depends on the subject/activity/assignment (e.g. I think most people would feel uncomfortable writing anything longer than 280 characters on a smartphone). Budgeting issues aside, I do think laptops, given their versatility, are the way to go. Apart from drawing, laptops can pretty much do everything a tablet can. That said, I’m not sure of the positive and negative implications of owning a personal laptop from the age of five. Based on my personal experience (only owning a laptop from first year university), I would say “one computer per home” may be sufficient. Teachers at a given institution should get together and first discuss what they want to teach, then explore technological solutions that would be most suitable, and finally the optimal device. Unless elementary/high school teachers (across the majority of subjects) are consistently designing lessons that require portable computers in class, I’m not sure if it will be necessary. Though I’m open to debate, I’m somewhat against mobile learning apps for K-12 students if it means they are bombarded by emails and notifications during non-school hours (kids should be permitted to “disconnect”). That being said, smartphones can be useful in a high school classroom since almost all students already own one (i.e. Kahoot).

1. elizabeth

I agree that writing or dictating texts has challenges on a mobile phone; this holds true for reading also. For example your post disappeared in the threaded discussion on the phone, but still exists on the tablet. Regardless of the many issues, mobile penetration is rising in developed, developing, and undeveloped economies while wired decreases. When one has only one device, it is most likely a mobile phone.

This mobile connectivity is exemplified by the world’s 100 million forcibly displaced individuals reported by the UN on the 23rd of May 2022. The phone is central for maintaining contact with the homeland, mitigating information précarité, and delivering money (Dasuki & Effah, 2021). Once these adults and children trek into the host country, most become learners using their phones to work at overcoming language barriers through translating, e-learning platforms and writing tools.

My reality is that few of my students are wired; thus this should be top of mind when creating content, assignments, and assessments. Already I find a lag in productivity trying to stay current only via phone and had to cop out with the tablet for this response.

20. emma markoff

My initial thought was a standard laptop, as a laptop can provide all programs needed to learn, has access to the internet, and is just generally accessible for most. However, after reading many of these posts, I want to swing toward an iPad, or a laptop that folds into a tablet with a stylus. I find this option serves the K-12 population: it provides the need to access softwares/programs for the older students, but also can provide creative options for younger students, such as K students, to engage in creative projects such as drawing or even educational games. Regardless, both an iPad and a laptop can access the internet, so a middle ground option seems like it would provide high value to all students.

1. JacksonLiang

A standard laptop would have the capabilities to do most things a school would require. It’s awesome that some school districts have laptop carts for students to use. In the future, I think finding durable laptop cases could also be a worthy investment for this technology as I’ve happened upon many “accidents” that would be a heavy price to pay for schools…

21. miguel rojas ortega

I grew up going to an environmental school in Costa Rica, so caring for the environment m, especially the forest has been my thing. I also grew up living a life away from technology, first of all we couldn’t afford it and secondly, it wasn’t always available. Costa Rica is often behind so new technologies arrive much later. I feel like not having the distractions of technology that we have nowadays helped me develop myself better. As a teacher I find that students are now being controlled by technology rather than controlling the technology. Therefore if every leaner had one type of technology it would be a simple watch. Life was good when all that I was distracted by was my watch, and I remember it being the coolest gadget ever. Im old school sometimes and believe Mobile Devices are now and addiction, but when used well effectively and efficiently, it can enhance the educational development of a child. Anybody else besides me feel like technology has gotten a little bit out of hand?

1. grace reid

Miguel, you bring up some valid points. I agree technology has a way of controlling us. I argue that it’s not the devices that are the struggle but the way in which they are used. The luxury of being passive consumers is long gone, and we need to use more rigorous critical thinking when engaging with digital tools. I believe this is particularly important when integrating mobile devices in our learning spaces. The use of nature, loose parts, and art, in combination with mobile devices is where technology can increasingly powerful in learning. I also don’t know if 1:1 is the answer. Sometimes tech is needed for 1:1 experiences to make learning accessible to vulnerable learners and for that situation a more individualized experience makes sense. In creative experiences, I think 1:2 or 1:3 is favourable, leaving room for collaboration and the negotiating of tasks. As practitioners, we need to be cognizant, that in some cases, less is more and we need to be intentional in how digital tools are integrated in our learning environments.

22. ryan mckenzie

If I am able to conceptualize a little bit here but stay on the boarders of what’s almost available it would be watch or AI or ML enabled wearable that gets to the know the students patterns and demeanour. It would be able to track and monitor the child, provide support and answer questions and wellness tips. Biometrics could easily help track illness, stress, the need for breaks, nutrition and social interactions creating a more desirable school environment. Basically what the apple watch does but with an educational focus. I think this could increase safety, wellness, and have a positive effect on learning by taking the guessing work that needs to be done by the teachers and admin. What if recess and snack breaks were customized for each child? Would there be a way to make this work or would it just be chaos?

1. miguel rojas ortega

I really like this idea, I’ll put in a word for you at Apple. As I read about this all I can imagine is the movie spy kids. The whole show is pretty much about all the cool things their phone could do. Part of my readings include information about AT’s (assistive technologies) where the main focus is the use of such devices and assist and enhance the learning. This type of technology is very important not only to regular student but for students with Learning disabilities.

23. Cassie Nichol

I have trouble identifying one instance of mobile technology that is most critical, because in my view it doesn’t matter whether every learner has access to the same item/platform/app if the learning experience itself isn’t intentionally designed by an effective educator. This comment could apply equally to the discussion on what I hate most about mobile technologies. In my mind, the focus on form over function is a substantial barrier to effective learning – especially in younger aged learners. As people grow, they become more capable of self-directed learning (though I would argue most still struggle if left entirely to their own devices – pun intended). However, especially in the K-12 environment, the mere act of giving a student access to mobile technology does not ensure productive learning will take place. I am incredibly curious about how the pandemic has/will continue to impact teachers’ technological capabilities and foundational knowledge about digital pedagogy. Giving every university professor a Zoom account at the start of the pandemic certainly did not equip them with the knowledge to teach online – but will the pandemic be the catalyst to enhancing educators’ knowledge, creativity, and effectiveness in the digital space?

24. Erica Hargreave

An interesting question. I actually had a similar question posed to me at the beginning of my teaching career, when I was tasked with building a brand new school. That question at the time had been about my wish list for supplies. I made that list, but told the board I could creatively make do without most of the supplies, if they could provide me with a 15-passenger van, so I could take the kids on field trips to teach them hands-on, experientially. I’m pleased to say, I ended up with both, and due to how myself and my main teaching colleague used that van, we were given a second van (well, mini-school bus) in the school’s second year. Thinking on that time, I think, what is the equivalent to the van with mobile technologies? What gives the students the possibility of countless adventures in experiential learning? Ultimately, I think the answer to that for me is connection to the world, both through search engines and through social tools. So for in-person learning, my answer would be a search engine, and for virtual learning, my answer for kids would be video conferencing tools.

1. grace reid

First of all, WOW! What a dream job. I agree that our devices provide us to take down the walls of our spaces and reach into new worlds. We can provoke, ask questions, document, create and share learning all from a device. I love the parallels you made in your argument. I would push it further to the attributes that are required in both scenarios.
      – curiosity
      – inquiry
      – communicate thinking
      – ability to ask questions and know where to find answers

If you drive a bus and expose learners to the world without prompting … they’re just on a drive. If you give a learner an iPad without prompting the focus won’t be there. Teachers are artists in that we create and establish the landscape for the students to navigate, mobility makes that possible.

1. Erica Hargreave

I love this sentiment, Grace. I am sorry I previously missed it. In particular this statement resonated with me and made me smile, “Teachers are artists in that we create and establish the landscape for the students to navigate, mobility makes that possible.” And yes, this was an incredible opportunity. A LOT OF WORK, but an incredible experience.

25. asha pippo

Having gone through this with my own school during lockdown, I know first hand what works best is different for different age ranges. In my own school community, parents were offered a choice of what technology we could provide for them, it wasn’t guaranteed as we were limited by what our board could offer but we tried our best to meet their requests. The majority of students in K-1 wanted Ipads, Gr. 2-5 notebooks because they were used to using them at school and Gr. 5 and up wanted laptops. I think as many of the posts have noted, the actual device was not as important as having access to reliable wifi and then having technology that the student was familiar with was crucial. Perhaps if we hadn’t been learning in a time of crisis, we could of been more selective about what the ‘best’ option would be for different age ranges. All this to say, I think that it is a very personal choice based on many different factors and that it is not a one size fits all when looking at the best technology option for students, what will be the best option for one student will not suit the needs of another.

1. grace reid

I agree, and will posit that in addition to your response, Educators need to model the versatility and affordance of the different tools. I often interact with intermediate colleagues who think the iPad is for primary learners and laptops are for intermediate. I have switched to an iPad Pro for all of my work to model that the machine is capable of far more than we give it credit for. Additionally, I think this is a pedagogical discussion about where creativity, play and choice live in the K-12 system. Often I hear educators ask for typing and word processing tools and not considering the range of media that students can engage with and publish to share their learning,

26. Nicole Kenny

What if we looked at this question differently? Rather than focusing on mobile technology by individual what if we looked at it as a mobile technology anyone could access outside of the classroom, something akin to the technology museums uses where you can touch a screen and learn about the display or the use of headphones and self-directed tours. The world would become a classroom where everyone would have an opportunity to learn more about the place, monument etc. they were visiting. Perhaps it would further allow the ability to highlight collorabation between countries or companies, or maybe where the original idea or foundational knowledge came from. The opportunity to learn becomes integrated into everyday life where it would not be considered a tedious or boring task.

27. Feras Alachek

It seems to me that the pandemic uncovered a strong need for “video conferencing” with the opportunities it offers to learners and employees. The affordance of this technology is massive. Learners can attend classes, share files, record lessons, and interact within a rich learning community that is both enabling and convenient. Day by day, more features are being added to this technology to allow engagement and empower the learning process. Apps like Zoom and Teams are growing to address the various needs of learners and bridge the gaps between online classes and traditional ones. As a teacher, I see how essential this technology proved to be in hard times when students cannot even leave their homes for school or college. We still need teachers, for now at least, and being able to connect with them effectively and move on with the academic endeavours beyond space is priceless. This technology is now vital and keeps the industry on the roll. When everything fails, this communication tool may suffice.

28. Sarah Ng

Mobile technology can be taken as mobile devices or how we live.

If we are talking about mobile technology in a sense of mobile devices, then I agree with many of the posts below that an iPad and iPencil is a good combination of technology that every learner needs. In my context, I’m talking about adult learners in the corporate setting. The reason for this combination is this will be more cost effective than having notebooks and pens for everyone. This combination of technology allows for everyone to take notes (either with the iPencil or keypad), read documents, and even join virtual meetings). I personally use an iPad and iPencil for school because I can read PDFs and use it to mark up the document and take notes. Everything is held in one place! I do have to note that there is a learning curve associated with using and iPad and iPencil.

If we are talking about mobile technology as the way we live, then I would say WIFI is a must. How can any piece of technology work without WIFI that is reliable? One time at home, we had a power outage for almost 12 hours. I was not able to do any school work, watch videos, read anything, play games with anyone, etc. The only thing that I could do was read a physical book and colour on paper. Having been living with WIFI for so long, I forget what I can do without WIFI.

1. Olivia Tarasewicz

Hi Sarah, I completely agree with you that having access to Wi-Fi is a must. If I had to choose one technology for everyone in the world, it would be access to Wi-Fi, especially those living outside urban centers and those who cannot afford to pay for it. I believe we will get to a point in time where access to the internet will become a basic right.

1. emma markoff

Olivia, I agree with what you said about how internet may become a basic right – it seems funny to say that, but when you really look at it, it seems like it may truly happen. WiFi provides us with connections to our basic needs, even, such as ordering license plate stickers, booking doctors appointments, and more (let alone access to education!). Especially as education turns toward using technology, much of students’ homework today may require WiFi at home to complete, just as we are doing for our own course.

2. Nicole Kenny

Sarah, I agree. I volunteer with a company Webber Training (https://webbertraining.com). The focus is to bring infection prevention education to the widest audience with the fewest barriers. At this point, all education is done by what we have coined “Teleclasses”. As the focus is particularly for under-resourced countries, access to reliable WiFi has been historically an issue. The Teleclass is in essence a global conference call where the speaker conducts their talk and PPT slides have been shared before the session. The Teleclass is recorded for people to have access to the mp3 following the session. With the increased access to mobile phones and better cellular infrastructure, we now need to look at “moving into the next century” and look at newer options that will still allow those in under-resourced countries to easily access the education that they need to help fight infections.

29. TyroneSittingEagle

The most useful mobile technology a learner would have in my dream world is an Ipad and Ipen. There are numerous skills and activities students can create and learn on a Ipad/Ipen. With the adequate apps and programs there is no limit to what can be taught with an Ipad/Ipen. From Language arts to art, a teacher can help develop a students’ perspective and comprehension with an Ipad/Ipen. Although, technology may change the educational experience but it will help understand a child’s development and how they view the world.

1. emma markoff

I very much agree – an iPad/pen is versatile for so many courses – it could even be used for writing math equations down, let alone for art class.

30. loveleen kour reen

If every learner had just one mobile technology it would be a foldable laptop with touch screen and stylus. As the students are accustomed to the use of mobile phones, they prefer the touch screen. The stylus gives them the convenience as well as instant writing/sketching ability. The keypad helps them to easily type their report and assignments. I have personally observed that students prefer all the above features while they work on their class assignments or project work. In addition to this, if the mobile technology could help students extend the multiple screens using AR technology on the flat surface or in front of them, it would be convenient for them to view multiple screens at the same time.

31. alexei peter dos santos

My choice is Virtual reality glasses because it would allow students to be on the learning scene. This learning tool is powerful to stimulate creativity, develop curiosity and easily explain complex issues as wildlife. Imagine students inside the virtual scene with lions and elephants, for example. And, on the next second, accessing an article on a shared screen.

1. grace reid

I love the idea of shared reading on a virtual screen! I have never considered that. What would it look like? I remember an app (I can’t think of the name) where there was an AR Twitter feed that you could read through your screen. I thought it was fantastic, but was curious how this design would be beneficial to a learner. I think you are onto something with the immersive reading (or VR reading). Sounds exciting!

32. Shirley

The pandemic let us know that we actually like to go to school to learn. In schools, there are classrooms where every type of learner can engage themselves in learning. No matter whether you are a social learner or a solitary learner, staying with others while learning can motivate you to learn. If there wasn’t such a thing as classrooms any more after we shift to online learning, how miserable it would be!

If I was an open learner who could just have one mobile technology, I would prefer the mobile computing that can give me a virtual classroom, in which I know who is studying with me at the same time, or what is the problem that has gotten everyone stumped… If the mobile computing can build a “smart community”(seen in Frontier Poll) at the Cloud , let it build a smart classroom for learners like me.

33. sean gallagher

I’m fairly agnostic about most technologies. so I’m not going to come out swinging in favour of tablets over laptops, or foldable phones over desktop computers, or any specific brand, size, shape, screen type, or HID (Human Interface Device). All have their merits and weaknesses, but if they can support feasible input, decent output and network connectivity, and if they’re affordable, accessible, repairable and (to the degree possible) future-proofed, then in the hands of a good and informed educator, students can learn with them.

I would suggest, though, that if every learner had only that one thing, our emphasis should be on universality — in other words, they all have the SAME one thing. If the one thing we were to choose were, say, a laptop, I don’t think there would be as much merit in some students having a MacBook, others a ChromeBook, and still others an old IBM Thinkpad from 2012 as there would be in all students learning on the same gadget. I know that’s not “free market” thinking, but we would immediately spot the concerns if some Grade 1 students were given the 64 colour box of crayons while others got the 8 color box.

In addition to promoting equity among students, a single, standardized, fairly stable technology would be fertile ground to which educators and application developers could add value in the form of lessons and lesson plans, demos, videos, applications, localizations (e.g. apps in different languages or formats) add-on technologies (think of a gadget that makes your gadget into a microscope, or an oscilloscope, or a musical instrument for example) and so on.

34. EmilyChen

I would choose the iPad. It’s great for young learners in that it can be quite interactive with different learning APPs. Apple stores in China run a lot of education workshops such as coding for young kids. I think they have done a good job with incorporating education into their device functions. They are very intuitive to use, and for older kids, you can get the keyboard to attach onto the pad.

1. emma markoff

That’s a good point – that you can attach a keyboard to the iPad! This gives the student the experience of the iPad as well as a laptop, in a way. Perfect for the coding experiences, for sure.

35. LoriMeville

Like many people who’ve posted already, I believe that a laptop or tablet with a stylus would be a terrific tool for all students to have (though I toyed with the idea of just mentioning pencil and paper as the technology all students should have…and don’t!). The distractions of social media and small size of smart phones often makes it difficult to make sure students are on task, and I don’t think staring at a tiny screen for long periods of time is doing anything to help peoples’ eyesight (mine changed drastically in my first year with my smart phone). I also think that all students having the same or similar tools would simplify trouble-shooting for overworked IT employees and teachers. While each student in our school does not have the same device, or even their own devices, we have rolling portable labs with 30 or more computers. It has made teaching with devices somewhat simpler as students who are used to the devices help each other out, and there are back-up computers for when any of the regular thirty in a cart need repairs. With students being comfortable with the laptops available, my iPad cart has become almost unused. I think that where we are headed is a bring-your-own-device model, but I worry about inequity in terms of affordability, as well as differences in parents’ approaches to cell phones. As a parent, my seventh grade child does not own a smart phone and only has limited access to an iPad and laptop. I have concerns about self-regulation around screen time and internet safety, but also have concerns that my daughter will be left behind her peers if she doesn’t have the same opportunities to explore online.

36. Stephen Michaud

It would be something like google glasses and leap motion controllers. Most devices are a distraction in the classroom, the promise of augmented reality and gesture based controls have the promise to keep the student focused in the instructor or demonstration while providing a richer, interactive experience.

1. Wynn Zhang

Hi Stephen
      Leap Motion controllers are amazing. I followed the onset of that line of technology and I can’t wait to see what the company comes up with next. I think it’s definitely a way for inputs to become more immersive and less obstructive.

37. nini mao

I always asked myself if there could be one-for-all technology in the learning experience. Every time, the answer varied. For young kids, I would like it to be interactive, which would facilitate young kids to get connected to others of their same age. For young adults, I would like it to be a comprehensive search engine with screening functions, which would accommodate young adults’ curiosity and eagerness of exploring the new world. For adult learners with clear learning objectives, I would like it to be a mobile recording and planning device with self-sustainable power, which would cater to shattered time learning schedules and make them systematic.

Therefore, if there was only one mobile technology for every learner, I would like it to be a mobile AR device with easy connections to a library-kind-function database.

38. Dana Roach

I think the most useful mobile technology that learners could benefit from most at this moment is a touch-screen enabled laptop with a stylus and an associated cellular/data plan. A very specific choice, I know. If I had to completely streamline my tech cabinet, that is what I would choose since it could fill many of the various functions I need technology to fill. I could use it for work and school, I could read (casually or academically) and annotate documents, and with a cellular/data plan I could utilize it as a phone and still access the internet without the need for additional technology like a router, mobile hotspot, etc… I would, of course, miss the compact nature of a smart phone, but I end up carrying a backpack or purse around with me anyway, so it wouldn’t be as bad of an adjustment as trying to complete all my work on an iPhone would be.

1. Evelyne Tsang

Hi Dana,
      The stylus is the technology I would love to see used by all students! This would allow them to practice printing from an early age, and if the mobile device had a doodle board or similar app to allow the child to write and record on a screen that looks like the low light Kindle, then it would be the ultimate learning tool for reading, writing, and resources!

2. Ying Gu

Hi Dana,

This certainly would cut down all that paper and allow live feedback! If only all my students had Surface Pros. I could push live notes. Instead, students seem to be obsessed with Apple.

1. Dana Roach

Ying,

I have to admit I wrote this with the Surface Pro in mind, but I myself am an Apple Fanatic. I have Apple everything in my tech cabinet. If there could be a laptop/tablet combo with a better OS that had the customizing ability and more universal use of Windows, but with the security features and streamlined appearance of Mac iOS that would be the technological sweet spot that remains unfilled.

39. toby beck

A mobile platform where any kid in the world could find and collaborate with any other kid in the world on any kind of curriculum connected project while receiving some kind of facilitation/guidance from a teacher on the Mobile Platform.

1. LoriMeville

Hi Toby – this is a great idea. I encourage my daughter to connect online with her cousins and school friends from our year in Quebec because it’s a safe way to have those experiences, but having something in place to form collaborative groups would be a good way to encourage learning about other cultures and becoming part of global projects. Think about the advantages that would bring to rural and remote students who might be in tiny or multi-graded classes and not exposed to many different opinions about a given topic. I would hope that this would be an Ad-free space too!

1. toby beck

Hi Lori,

Yes, I hadn’t thought of the benefit to students in remote areas as well. And I agree, the more exposure students can have to experiences in the larger world, the wider their lens will be to interact with the world. Could it be a doorway to caring about global issues and solving those issues?

40. neill mccallum

Something to be discussed here is that unfortunately all technology in one way or another becomes dated and more often then not becomes unused e-waste. When I first started teaching I would search in backrooms for resources to use for my classes and it may surprise you to know that storage rooms in schools are usually graveyards for dated technology. The most common technology I came across in these dusty rooms were Smartboards, at the time a revolutionary way for educators and students to interact with projected screens to teach and learn (a precursor to digital touchscreens). The problem was that they were a pain to learn how to use, clunky to move around, had parts that if missing made it useless and they just added more complication instead of ease to the classroom.

I have sat on the tech committee of school’s where the staff discuss what new technology to purchase and can tell you that there is no one simple answer to a magic technology to do it all and satisfy everyone’s needs (educators and learners lean towards tools that they are personally comfortable with). Unfortunately tech companies are constantly trying to get schools on board for the “next big thing” such as giant interactive touch screens (which to me looks like Smartboard 2.0). They see public school’s as a big contract to land and unfortunately many of us fall for all of the flashy bells and whistles. I receive so many e-mails asking for my time to discuss the next big technology to help with teaching (now more so with a focus on distance learning).

I think what every learner and school needs is to have someone trained in the technology provided to be there as tech support. The Smartboards were abandoned because there was no support once educators ran into problems. In the past I discussed having students at my school trained like first responders but as tech support to aid teachers that have tech issues in the school.

1. lyndsay barrett

I wonder if the answer to this is open-ended tech. I’m thinking of how open-ended toys have a substantially longer shelf life than closed toys. An exersaucer is of little interest by 1 year of age but blocks or paint are used well into adulthood. So if tech dictates a closed form of interaction, it’ll be outdated once new tech does that same one thing a little bit better (Smartboard vs Smartboard 2.0). If tech is focused on open interaction then it likely has more longevity. For example, desktop computers are always in schools and, in my experience, even dated ones can have a use on a desk somewhere. You can use it for games, research, word processing, creative endeavours – loads of options. Contrast that to a smartboard, which is only useable in a presenter/presentee situation, where both are in the same room.

(Full disclosure: I know little about smartboards. My observations are based on a quick Google search).

1. toby beck

Yes, and cynically, that’s where the money is isn’t it.

V1.0 is out of date? Buy V2.0 now.

41. jennifer r

For kids grade 4 and up, I think a laptop is better. The reason why, is that I think developing organizational skills is very important to students of all ages. I know with my laptop, I have to be mindful of where I download things. I also have to create custom folders and have digital stickies for things that I want to remember. Students have the ability to download specific creative programs (with the guidance of their parents) that they may not be able to access on tablets or mobile phones. I think that laptops, over mobile phones and tablets, serve more as a vehicle for cognitive extension because there is more storage options than just a cloud or small download folder. I also think that teaching elementary students to use laptops would give them transferable skills for when they get to high school and post-secondary. For kids in primary, I think a tablet would be better because students can access classroom activities by scanning a QR code placed around the room by their teacher.

42. Elixa Neumann

With the development of new technologies, especially in the past year, I think my one learning technology choice for students would be the tablet that folds into a phone. Thought this is a new device and still has many glitches to work through, it enables the user to do anything a computer or laptop would, but is flexible for the modern student, traveler, adventurer, or environment. However, in saying this, I think it is the accessories that embed into devices which make them more useable.

Samsung has recently released the Samsung Galaxy Fold. This device combines all of the functions of a tablet with the modern usage of mobile phones. It can be used as quick reference like a phone, or setup for longer working tasks. The biggest challenge I can see here is multitasking in tablet form, which is where a laptop or computer still holds the market. Should the participant need to be looking at two or more windows, the tablet still does not meet this capacity for learning.

Now let’s examine typing and input features. Bluetooth keyboards and mice and be connected to devices like these, allowing the user to utilize the tablet and navigate it like a modern computer. However, with the younger generations being ‘tablet geniuses’ and following the intuitive nature of tablets, I wonder if they would prefer this type of device over a traditional keyboard. I remember in university where I would use my miniscule Sony Ericson smart phone to sit on the bus and type my essays at 90 wpm. (I miss that phone…) It held everything I needed to complete my tasks, but was not ideal for long reading or referencing other documents while typing. I would also utilize audio tools which could convert my spoken language to written form. These tools are only more powerful today.

In summary, the greatest learning tool is one that is accessible, but also meets the learning strategies of the newer generations. There is an incredible gap between gen X and Alpha in terms of how we utilize and co-exist with technology, that we have to consider the environmental situations that are now unfolding and shaping the shift in technology.

1. Wendy Mulligan

My thoughts exactly, Elixa! I had been thinking that neither a laptop, nor a smartphone, would have quite the flexibility that a learner would need for their one tool. The foldable tablet manages most of the requirements of a learner, and the add-ons that you mentioned round it out quite well. I think portability is very important when we consider having only one mobile technology, so that it can be used wherever and whenever it is required.

43. Wynn Zhang

While as boring as it sounds, I would love for all of my learners to have a modern powerful cellphone. While currently, we use our laptops for anything work and learning related, I believe that that trend will soon evolve into one that focuses on smaller, more personal mobile technology. Namely, our cellphones. The biggest disadvantage of using a phone instead of a laptop is that it’s difficult to input large amounts of information into a cellphone that’s only the size of your hand. While this is true, the lack of functionality can be made up in different ways. For instance, there are many companies that are creating laptop “cases” that requires a phone to provide the power behind it. Think of it as a computer and a monitor, except the computer is your mobile device, and the monitor is a laptop case. Another way to tackle this issue is through the usage of holographic laser keyboard that uses light interruptions to create input or even use a motion hand tracker to create a virtual keyboard from tactile sense. My favorite way right now is to use swipe to greatly decrease the amount of input and still have the same amount of output.

Despite the disadvantage that cellphones have, they have many advantages that makes it the mobile technology pick for me. The ability to teach and learn anywhere and everywhere is a huge plus for place based education. The idea of interconnectedness comes alive when we have the ability to share not just words, but sounds, pictures, and videos. However, I think the crucial part is to have educators that are comfortable with teaching students who have the potential to be distracted by their cellphones. My perspective on this is that all students should have a cellphone as it dictates our way of living now, and it’s important to be able to live in harmony with technology. The best way is to start early and make sure that all students have one.

44. Ying Gu

This question is tricky because I have different answers depending on ‘when’ this student is. Currently, the laptop is absolutely essential. Take away the laptop and the student will be spending too much time doing the mechanics of learning – writing, researching, data management, etc, and be robbed of audiovisual aids. Our current teaching methods are also anchored in written work. For students in the far future, I imagine that the computer will become smaller. Perhaps when every community is smart and every object is smart, a computer will become redundant. All that will be needed is a pair of glasses, or just any surface in the user’s surroundings to act as an information transmitter (if the information is 2D). We chase after convenience and wearables, so a computer, an external object that we have to carry around, will become a nuisance, something to do away with.

1. emma pindera

I agree, it would be very interesting if we lived in a world where “wearables” could complete all our assignments, as well as deliver our learning content.
      Who knows, maybe 15 years from now that could be our reality!

45. emma pindera

If everyone had just one mobile technology, I believe it should be a laptop. This may be a “boring/standard” answer, but hear me out. The laptop really does everything we need it to do. We can access readings, eLearnings, notebooks, authoring tools, etc. We can study, learn, and apply our knowledge all in one piece of technology. Phones and iPads have their limits. In my experience, it is nearly impossible to write an essay on a phone or iPad. We can have zoom lectures and apply learning. But in order for the mobile technology to be completely effective, internet blockers are needed to block social media, youtube and other distractions, atleast for a period of time, to ensure a safe and focused learning environment.

1. Ying Gu

I agree with your choice of a laptop, Emma, though I am also aware that my imagination is limited. There might be an even better option that I just haven’t thought of yet. I do think that in the future, it will be common to write an essay on the phone. I am sure that there was a time when no one thought that we would all be writing on a computer, and yet here we are. With the emergence of speech-to-text programs, which can only get better over time, writing will no longer be chained to the hands. Already I have colleagues who do their report cards entirely with speech-to-text programs.

1. johannes dirk wielenga

I think speech-to-text has some severe limitations, though, especially when tasked with writing academic prose. When writing report cards, speech-to-text would be fantastic, but when you wish to communicate with rigor, or with creativity, I find that we can be so much more expressive with writing rather than talking, and so I wonder what might be lost in such a conversion (just my opinion). But perhaps sometime soon we will only need to think our words and commands and the word processor will do everything you think it to…! In such a world, I can see essay writing on a device the size of a phone becoming ubiquitous indeed.

2. Esther Yang

My choice is also a laptop but with the tablet feature! In 2019 Black Friday my husband found the greatest deal for a touchscreen laptop from for around $500.
      This has been a great teaching tool for me because of the slimness, speed, and of course the tablet mode! Writing all my notes and solutions on OneNote and being able to synchronously upload on Microsoft Teams for my students who are hybrid-learning (ie, in-class learning for 2 days and online learning for 3 days/week) are amazing.

46. suzzie

This one is tricky for me because I teach in such a technology-rich school. We operate a 1:1 laptop program in the upper school, and the lower school has a 1:1 iPad program for the younger ones. Most of my students have smart phones, and many of them have wearable devices as well. There isn’t a lot of technology out there that my students don’t already have. Perhaps if there was a way to remind them to also just be kids and play and be active that would be great. I suppose they could set a reminder on their device (or ask Siri to do it) and receive a reminder on their apple watch…

47. ravneet sandhu

At the school where I teach, each teacher has five iPads in their classrooms. The children use them so much in their small groups. I think it would be helpful if each student in the classroom had their own iPad. Having used both, for younger children, I feel that iPads are more user friendly than laptops. Since we have been teaching remotely, I’ve found a variety of new resources to support student learning online. I would love to continue with them when we return to the classroom. However, due to the lack of resources, this may not be a possibility. We do have an iPad cart but it is shared among the school, so it’s not always easily accessible. Having experimented with technology has really improved my confidence and I’m hoping to incorporate it to a similar degree as we move forward.

48. Matt Wise

Something able to blend into the background and put the focus on what the tool is being used for rather than the tool itself. The level of skill and training to use a mobile device and the myriad apps/ways of interacting that come with it can be a burden and a distraction. It should connect them to others, and give them a platform to share their ideas, give them personalized insight into their own learning and help them to maintain focus once they’ve identified their direction amid a buffet of distractions and other data. It should support the learner to identify, and answer the general questions, and help connect them to the right other people to find the specific answers and seek next steps in their journey.

49. Yi Chen

It would be beneficial if every learner has a mobile technology that serves as a knowledge assistant. To keep learning in the life spam and building a personal knowledge system, it is crucial to have a mobile assistant who can quickly create, edit and search in a personal concept map. There are many cloud notebooks such as Evernote and OneNote; however, they are most designed for collecting and creating notes. The notes are organized in a traditional tree mode and can be labelled. Both the tree mode and label are quite weak at making and maintaining connections among ideas. They might work in computers, but not smooth, light and smart enough on mobile devices. I believe innovations and creative ideas emerge from making connections, therefore, have a personal network of concept maps, or knowledge map is essential for every serious learner. Make it mobilized is critical for a learner to collect, share, organize, connect, reflect and search easily.

1. Matt Wise

I very much agree with this, our abilities are heavily augmented by the mobile devices we use now, and being able to bring our “working context” with us wherever we go and keep working away at something with the same access would be very beneficial. Taking your concept of the notebook and making connections a step further, perhaps this device could help to surface insight by analyzing a large set of data and present it to the learner so that they can make decisions about what is most important to them.

50. TYLERSENINI

If every student had one mobile technology to use in a classroom just to make it easier, I would prefer if they all had the same one. In primary, students look to their peers to be their role models and if one kid has a better model they might feel left out. I would want them all to be the same which means they look the same, and all run the same programs without question. This would make educators jobs easier than having to deal with the emotions that come when one student has the top model while some cant afford even the basic.

1. jordon lovig

I think this makes a lot of sense, and it speaks to a broader point; that technology can act both as a great equalizer or it can propagate inequality in the classroom, depending on how resources are allocated. Personally i think it highlights the need to view educational tech as a core necessity in the classroom and therefore should be provided by school, not as an extra “nice to have” where parents are providing the tech for their kids according to their own means.

51. luke pereira

I wanted to take an outsider approach in evaluating the best device to rule them all. With the death of the blackberry and flip phones, we have been bombarded with technology and hardware, which, for its time was evolutionary. It was a new idea, concept: “there’s an app for that” era that we lived in and still do. Most institutions of learning focused on the web platform than mobile for many years and even to this day. Developers focused on games and “organization of our life” apps with taking notes, calendars, to do lists etc., A few focused on apps that truly help learners get the job done like onenote, notion, notability etc. Today, we see only 10-15% of apps worthy of some use that stays on our devices permanently as we get brainwashed with newer apps and devices branding the next new camera lens that we don’t really need.

Learning is supposed to develop skills and I agree mobile devices makes learning these very skills easier. However, there is just so much of courses online that finding quality content is a hit and miss. Pay sites like Coursera come with branding from top institutions that provide that satisfaction of achievement. They do have mobile and web based products. Edx and Allison also had pay and free content and so do many coding websites. the point is that, there is so much learning products all over that sifting through is arduous. There is no way to capture the ROI we place on ourselves when learning through all these sites. Are we applying it?

I’m my learning advising job, we have to make sure that the individual who wants some assistant on upgrading their skills is comfortable with the platform, whether its mobile or just plain web. I would then recommend options on the best route using the above online resources that would work with their learning plan and their hardware.

When we talk about Mobile, there is no one device option for learning, but it is dependant on the individual. Learning is organic in that it can happen anywhere and anytime, just in time and on the job. Skills are meant to be practical and as long as the product that delivers it, through these devices, are user friendly and easy to manage by people from 15-80, then we can say all devices in any form can help in the learning development of the individual.

1. Ying Gu

Luke, I like the conclusion you have made here. Basically, if all learners are different, why would such a one-device-for-all exist?

52. silvia chu

This mobile device would be an all-in-one. It would need to be portable and practical; a foldable laptop that can be turned into a tablet or cellphone if needed. In this case it would not be one but three devices at the same time. Would an ideal mobile device mean that we would be more attached to it than usual?
    Having integrated all in one mobile technology, would that be more practical? I mean users’ experience wise. Sometimes I prefer to work with my iPad rather than with the laptop, depending on what I need to do. Having one, it is risky. Should something break then the learner would not be able to fully use all its functions. For example, if your computer’s speakers do not work well, then you could still use you cellphone to listen to music. Should the screen of this all-in-one device breakdown, what other options will the user/ learner have if that is the one device they own. There has been all in one devices such as printer and computers. From my experience, they have not been as effective as having separate devices.

53. Jamie Ashton

If Every Learner Had Just One Mobile Technology It Would Be… Vital that everyone had the network infrastructure and digital literacies to use them well! Mobile devices are very powerful tools, but as with most things, need a good foundation of insight in order to be used well. In a world of push notifications, internet pop-ups, and apps designed with advertising in mind, using mobile tech for education is only going to become effective if we teach learners to see past the flashy and distracting to the options for customization and methods for intentional use that are available.

This is not a case of needing to preach that mobile devices should only be used in a serious and scholarly way, but rather than raising an awareness about the multimodality of mobile. I see this to be of central importance if wanting to integrate mobile devices into daily life and learning spaces as important technological tools. The power of choice and showing how to navigate the diverse ways of using a mobile device is going to be an equally important part of mobile education and general citizenship or use.

1. Mel Drake

“Mobile tech for education is only going to become effective if we teach learners to see past the flashy and distracting to the options for customization and methods for intentional use that are available.” Excellent point, which leads to mine. For this to happen, educators and administrators must also have the digital literacies and pedagogical understanding to assist students with developing digital literacy and guide students toward the vast learning opportunities that exist. There is a digital divide between generations, and many educators and administrators need professional development in ed tech before all students can reap the benefits.

1. Juliano Ng

Great points about the educators and users needing to have the digital literacies and understandings to use the actual technology and get beyond the flashy parts. What’s the point of having the fastest device with the greatest graphics if all that the device is going to be used for is word processing? Even if the educators aren’t as knowledgeable in ed tech, I think the most important part is that they are willing to take the risk and try it out. I think there is a bit of anxiousness from educators to learn more about technology as this may be an area where the students know more than the teacher. I actually try to embrace that part and have my students teach me or we troubleshoot together when an issue arises. I found this process to be beneficial for both sides and helps empower the students to work through problems.

1. wilhelmenia shackleford

Great point about taking risks and learning about technology. If we want our students to take risks, then we should model that with them. There have been many times when students have come forward to show me something they have learned about technology and how to use it in their learning. I love learning new tech tips from students!

54. David Vogt

Originally Posted by Aaron on 18 Jan 2019

A powerful, large-screen tablet equipped with a cellular broadband connection and a detachable keyboard would probably the best compromise device, if students could only have one. It would give students the functionality of a smartphone, Wacom tablet, and laptop in one. Maybe something like the Microsoft surface pro would be ideal, because it is powerful enough to run full-featured programs. I have owned several mobile devices, including iPhones, Androids phones and phablets, and tablets of all kinds from 7-10.5 inches in size… none of these get as much use as my Macbook Air. In my experience, most tablets are fine at most things, but they don’t excel at anything. They don’t fit in your pocket, and they don’t have the capability of a proper laptop. I know many others swear by their iPads, but for some reason, mine is only good at collecting dust.

55. David Vogt

Originally Posted by rstpierre on 17 Jan 2019

When considering what is the ideal device, it all comes down to the benefits and drawbacks of a particular form factor. Smart Phone: pocket portability, reading is cumbersome, writing meaningful text is almost impossible Phablet: maybe pocket portability, better reading experience, writing still difficult Tablet: not pocket portable, excellent reading experience, good writing experience when paired with a physical keyboard Laptop (or laptop-tablet hybrid): not easily portable – requires large bag or carrying case, excellent reading and writing experiences, I see the (10 inch) tablet as the best compromise here. About the same size as many books but not as thick. I believe that there r may be a gender divide as well. Many women are in the habit of carrying a purse or some other kind of bag with them when they are out. This makes a convenient storage space for a tablet, whereas men usually do not have a bag with them when they are out of the home. This may influence the choice of device.

56. David Vogt

Originally Posted by tobin4 on 14 Sep 2018

As a guidance counselor I see many students who are not organized. I know there are many apps already developed that deal with organization but if there was a way to have homework reminders sent automatically to students cell phones. I picture a central database where teachers fill in homework and then that information is sent to mobile device with reminders that inform students of tests, assignments, and general notes need to keep their learning on track. This is a very reachable goal but I know that not all students have mobile devices.

57. David Vogt

Originally Posted by leahbio on 15 Jan 2019

I would love to see a mobile collaboration that was hand-held, fit in your pocket which all students had access to wirelessly which was fully integrated with curriculum materials that interfaced with the students progression of learning/development for a specific curricula or subject area. The technology would statistically analyze their areas of need depending upon their progression through the course materials but also provide educators the ability to understand why the student may be reticent to participate in class even if they understood and had a good grasp of the material. This ability would offer the educator a greater understanding for their progression in learning but also help with participation. The mobile tech would also offer students with learning exceptionalities an integration In addition to all of the above, classes for new English language learners can be daunting. The mobile device would have apps that could translate all the material the educator was teaching but in real-time (anticipate their areas of need or gaps in their learning by translating into their own language difficult topics/material/terms to the student while they are listening or taking part in the lesson through an earpiece attached to the mobile device).

58. David Vogt

Originally Posted by Mark on 13 Jan 2019

I don’t really think that mobile technology is about a device, but rather a way of living and ‘doing things’ in the real world. The push toward device agnostic or cloud based apps demonstrate a push away from the device to a way of working in the cloud – accessible from anywhere on any device. To that end the phablet comes close to the perfect mobile device. Small enough to carry anywhere, and large enough to do meaningful work, the phablet with internet access becomes a very powerful tool for learners.