Greetings From Burnaby!

Hello everyone, my name is Tyler and I am coming to you from Burnaby in British Columbia. This will be my 9th class in the MET program. I am also taking 540 which means I should be finished the program in August. I love winter, not a big big fan of summer. I enjoy playing and watching curling, and hanging out with my nieces and nephew on Vancouver Island where I am originally from. I work out in Surrey where I have been teaching 1/2 for a while. I can say I have learned a lot over my time in this program. I have noticed that there doesn’t seem to be many primary teachers around in my classes which is a shame because we can learn so much from this program. I am excited to see what mobile learning is all about besides video games. Over the last few weeks I have found it challenging to be the great teacher I want to be as we are faced with online teaching. Teaching grade 1/2 online is a difficult task but I am so glad I was in this program that allowed me to use lots of resources I had learned throughout this program. I recognize some of you from other classes and am excited to work with and meet everyone else as well.

8 responses to “Greetings From Burnaby!”

1. Mel Drake

Hello again, Tyler! Congrats on this final course, and I’m happy to work with you again!

2. ravneet sandhu

Hi Tyler,

Congrats on reaching the end of the program! It’s nice to meet a fellow primary teacher in this program. I teach Grade 2/3 in Surrey, BC as well. I’m also finding it tough to teach our little learners remotely. I don’t have as much student participation as I had anticipated when we first transitioned to online learning. Have you engaged in video conferencing with your students?

3. silvia chu

Hello Tyler,

Congrats on finishing the program. I did the 540 course, I enjoyed it, it was fun. I taught primary school for a couple of years. Now I am working with highschool kids. I would like to know about your online expetience teaching 1st and 2nd graders. How many kids do you have in class?

Nice meeting you.

S.

4. tyler graham

Another Tyler who teaches in Burnaby – but you’re at the opposite end of the spectrum. I’m sure you get this a lot from secondary teachers, but I couldn’t possibly do what you do!

5. Michael Saretzky

Hey Tyler,
    Nice to see you again. I was in 540, up until last week, I chickened out on taking two courses at once. The online teaching isn’t too bad for 6/7s, but it is the online learning with my daughter that can take a bit of time, as she is in grade one. She enjoys it at times, but she struggles because she misses her friends and her teacher.

1. TYLERSENINI

Hey Michael! Yeah the grade ones take so much extra support during this online world. They have all told me they miss their friends.

6. Jamie Ashton

Hey Tyler,

Great to see you in another course – I too am doing this and 540 with intentions to finish up in August!

I’d be really interested to hear more about the sudden shift to online learning from someone within the MET – I am sure it came with a lot of work and adjustment. What have been some of the highs and lows?

See you around!

J

1. TYLERSENINI

Hi Jamie! Im so glad I know someone in both classes 🙂
      As for the students shifting to online, in primary it has been very slow and steady. Not as much participation from students as I had thought. Parents seem content just keeping them on a extended spring break.