Hello from Courtenay

Hi everyone,

My name is Adrian and I am a heavy user of open learning from Wikipedia, to how-to tutorials and YouTube videos.  I’m excited to learn more about the processes to make it happen. I reside in the beautiful Comox Valley, surrounded by wilderness.

I have a broad background in instructing from sailing in summer camps, to tool usage and design in makerspaces and physics and math in the classroom. Completing this course will mark my half-way point through the MET.  

I think that mobile education has an enormous potential to reach the majority of the world that has poor infrastructure.

I’m looking forward to working with you all 🙂

ps. for anyone else new to rss, I got it setup with the android app ‘Feedly’ and the url: https://blogs.ubc.ca/etec523/feed/

3 responses to “Hello from Courtenay”

1. VeroniqueBrunet

Hi Adrian,

Your RSS tip has been very helpful. I am still getting used to working off my mobile device and keep thinking that I am missing important things. I got Feedly setup on my phone. Hopefully it helps me keep on to of all the interresting posts in this blog.

Véro

2. Jamie Ashton

Hi Adrian,

Great to meet you. Where you live sounds utterly amazing!

If you’re interested to look at how mobile technology helps with education in areas with poor infrastructure, I can suggest three great scholars to read: Gary Marsden (Comp Sci at the University of Cape Town), Anja Venter (ICT4D at University of Cape Town) and Matt Jones (FIT Lab/HCI dept at Swansea University). They’ve all done really interesting research and their writing is easy (possibly even enjoyable) to read 🙂

See you around the course.

3. Matt Wise

Hi Adrian,

I think you make a very important point about accessibility, while not everyone will have access to a computer, the number of people worldwide with access to a mobile phone has just exploded in the past several years. Thanks for the RSS tips, I was wondering if it might be useful but wouldn’t have jumped in without your helpful hint!

~Matt