VR/AR Not just Consumption

By Lori Jones on September 14, 2019

The trend toward 360 cameras and access to Virtual reality video on Youtube and other platforms has been the tip of the giant iceberg that will be AR & VR in the real world. Companies, Communities and Educational Institutions alike are beginning to use other technologies like barcodes and QR codes to allow consumption of VR/AR content in the real world.  In the past creatin of VR/AR content was only for those with big money and a passion for the “new”.  The advent of simple devices like the Merge cube along with a viewer (google cardboard or a more expensive headset)  has literally put VR  and AR in the palm of your hand. Companies are capitalizing on the mobile device and the near-ubiquity with which internet is available( cellular network or otherwise).

Engineering companies (I am speaking of one near me) are using Unity to create VR experiences of complex multimillion-dollar machines and changes for companies like Telus, Fortis etc… They are allowing the consumer to test in real-time how machines will work, with the people that actually use them, before a single piece is welded or machined. The interaction and feedback create less waste, a more informed experience and a guarantee that the product they want is what is being constructed.

The average consumer can now, with drag and drop ease, create their own AR/VR content. Imagine the possibilities of a “Smart” community where information and ultimately interaction is added just like Wikipedia or Reddit.

Web-based software like CoSpaces EDU offers the layperson the opportunity to create VR/AR content without the expense of a pricey headset or a 2-year diploma in computer science. This kind of additive global experience could change the way you see your Airbnb review or Amazon review giving you real-time virtual or augmented experiences with your environment.

https://mergevr.com
https://cospaces.io/edu/

One response to “VR/AR Not just Consumption”

1. silvia chu

As mentioned by Lori, VR/AR can provide us with a new experience. VR/AR pushes the user to another different level. It gives us a sense of reality. I once heard someone said, “If I can see it and I can touch it, then is real”. I am not sure about the touch part, it would be great if technology can transmit additional senses. By this I mean, smell and taste. We can send pictures and sounds of things we see, but how do you send a smell or taste “message”? VR/AR raises content and user experience to a new level.
    However, compared to other mobile technologies, there is not that amount of VR/AR content for users to use. If so, is still less accessible since VR equipment is pricey. Users can opt for cardboard VR accessories and with the cellphone then you are done. VR/AR has not been that revolutionary as the cellphone apps have been. The technology is there but have we made the most use of it?
    QR code is very popular in China, especially when it comes to payment. Here in Argentina, they’ve tried to use QR code, but people do not seem to like it. They prefer the traditional way of payment. Can this also be said about AR/VR? Just because we are not used to using it, does it mean that we are wasting an opportunity?