A3 – Micro:bits

By Nathan Bristow on March 24, 2019

For my Assignment 3, I’ve been examining the role of microprocessor platforms and their role in education: specifically the micro:bit created by the BBC and currently in distribution in the NWT.

One response to “A3 – Micro:bits”

1. Binal Khakharia

I LOVE Micro:bits. I heard of them from colleagues a while back but was finally able to get my hands on them and play with a set last year. I think it is great that coding has become so easy with block coding, making it accessible to a wider user base, yet those that are more into it can use Python. As a Chemistry teacher, my students use a lot of digital sensors for data collection for their experiments. The micro:bit has a light sensor, temperature sensor, motion sensor and can wirelessly communicate via radio and bluetooth. I had not heard of the CO2 sensor that Nathan demonstrates in his video, but I think that this is just the beginning of where micro:bits can go. I think they have tremendous potential. I now have 2 sets of the BBC micro:bits and have managed to have them both communicate with each other, I can get one to respond to other once the code has been downloaded on to both micro:bits. The fact that they are small and portable make it a lot easier (mobile) to conduct experiments while using the micro:bit rather than a “regular” digital temperature probe connected to a computer or mobile device, since the micro:bit does not have to be connected to a computer when being used. In fact, the micro:bit is more precise (it displays a LOT of decimal places). The temperature sensor allows the user to calibrate the micro:bit easily – set an input temperature as that read on another accurate thermometer, or set it based on a known phenomenon (e.g melting point of ice, or boiling point of water – like calibrating normal thermometers). The light sensor enables the micro:bit to be used as a spectrophotometer (https://www.instructables.com/id/Microbit-Spectrometry/). The motion sensor can be used as an accelerometer, step counter, compass or even as dice or magic 8 balls. What other uses can you think of??