Droplets – Sibling of Duo Lingo

Droplets is the kids’ version of Drops. The app was launched earlier this year and is a language learning app that offers bite-sized, interactive vocabulary drills in 37 languages. Currently, this app is only available on mobile devices, not on PCs yet. I recommend the app for the following three reasons: first, the app’s dragging, tapping and swiping features feel quite intuitive since it is just like how we use our phones every day; second, the gamified experience makes learning a foreign language less intimidating and more fun; third, the free 5-minute lesson a day is perfect for kids who usually have shorter attention spans and also for parents who are concerned with their kids’ screen time. One big drawback is that the app is lacking a grammatical component.

More information on Droplets:

Google’s Best App 2018, Drops, launches ​‘Droplets’ to teach kids and teens foreign languages

Drops language app vs. Duolingo: How to choose the best language learning app for you

3 responses to “Droplets – Sibling of Duo Lingo”

1. tyler graham

Very interesting! I’m for sure going to check that out. Thanks for the tip!

1. Ceci Z.

Thanks, Tyler! I actually tried Droplets with my 5-year-old daughter and she told me that she likes Duo Lingo better, haha… She has been using Duo Lingo to learn French in Kindergarten and is familiar with the cute green owl. I asked her why she likes Duo Lingo better, and she said, “I don’t even get crowns, stars and stickers!”(with Droplets ) So to have a good reward system in place in games is very important! As suggested by behaviourists, the desired behaviour must be rewarded in order for it to continue 🙂

1. silvia chu

Hello Ceci. I think I am with your Daughter. I teach languages and I always recommend using apps as an additional language-learning resource. The language that my students use, give you stars. The rewards system encourages you to do better or even redo the exercise. Sometimes my students tell me that they redo the exercise not because they want to improve but because they want to make sure they got full stars.
        I play video games. These days are about playing animal crossing. One has to complete many mini-tasks to get certain rewards to obtain something else. It works because one keeps going. However, my concern on this reward system, is if we actually do it for learning or because we are doing it just for the reward.