Mobile Technology Trends – Internet of Things

Originally posted by adrian yee on September 14, 2019

The definition of Internet of things is the interconnection via internet of mobile devices embedded in everyday objects, enabled them to send and receive data.  One of the example is the Strava app.

https://www.strava.com/app

Athletes use Strava app to track performance and the app can break down the performance in each of the segment.  Athletes can then analyze their performance and determine how they can improve their speed and endurance.  The app is connect onto the internet and embedded in the mobile phone.

One response to “Mobile Technology Trends – Internet of Things”

1. greg patton

I chose this post as I am a dedicated Strava user and though I agree with Adrian’s comments on the app, I feel he could have gone deeper into the interconnections aspect. Bluntly, Strava turns athletic endeavours into a real life video game. The app tracks your fitness activity (I bike, so it will track my ride) and tells you how fast, how long, how much elevation… all the statistics that an athlete can use to improve their fitness. But it is the segment function that makes it unique; users can make segments (a piece of your activity marked with a virtual start and finish) and then can compete with each other on who has the fastest time on it (the KOM, King of the Mountain or QOM, Queen of the Mountain). This changes peoples’ thinking; they are now competing with virtually everyone around for the “high score” on segments, not just trying to improve on their best times or output. It brings together a competitive community that pushes each other to strive to be better, even though they may have never met or even live in the same city (oh yes, people drive to other cities and take KOMs… I might have a friend who LOVES doing this). Strava is also a social media platform, where rides can be posted and people can like and comment on them. People can see another person’s ride, duplicate it for their own ride, then ask that person for any comments on it (again, I am talking primarily about biking, but the list of activities that can be tracked is extensive).
    Strava is a great example of the Internet of Things; it’s a mobile app downloaded on your phone that can also connect to your fitness tracker (Garmin/Wahoo/etc…). I think the more interesting aspect of the app is how it blends physical exercise, social media presence, and most peoples’ innate instinct towards competitiveness into a highly usable and enjoyable domain. People not connected in any way are challenging each other to strive for their best results, their high score, through the use of the segments that are established everywhere, and for an abundance of activities, throughout the world. It is kind of addicting…