A1 – METPodcast – A Brief Analysis of Social Influencers

Originally posted by carlo trentadue on October 6, 2019

Transmedia is, effectively, the process of storytelling through a variety of media outlets. Never before in histories past have we been able to utilize online social platforms to brand ourselves, and in turn, create our own ‘markets’. Thus, for my A1 project, I decided to give Podcasts a try. This particular Podcast revolves around Transmedia and The Branded Self; it consists of a brief intro and analysis of Social Influencers in relation to Mobile Culture. The Podcast can be broken down into a series of sections:

Introduction & Focus/ Celebrity vs. Influencer / Tiers of Influencing / Applications of Social Influencer Theories / Public Health Case Study

I’m excited I could get the ball rolling with this conversation with regards to Mobile Culture although felt like I could have spoken a lot longer! Give it a listen, and I welcome any feedback/ discussion that comes with it!

CLICK HERE FOR THE PODCAST!

Abidin C. (2016). “Aren’t these just young, rich women doing vain things online?”: influencer selfies as subversive frivolity. Social Media + Society. pp. 1-17 doi: 10.1177/2056305116641342

Byrne, E., Kearney, J., & MacEvilly, C. (2017). The role of influencer marketing and social influencers in public health. Proceedings of the Nutrition Society, 76(OCE3), E103. doi:10.1017/S0029665117001768

Freberg K., Graham K., McGaughey K., Freberg L. A. (2011). Who are the social media influencers? A study of public perceptions of personality. Public Relations Review. Vol 37, No 1, pp. 90-92, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pubrev.2010.11.001

Forbes, K. (2016). Examining the beauty industry’s use of social influencers. Elon Journal of Undergraduate Research in Communications, Vol. 7 No. 2, pp. 78-87. https://www.elon.edu/u/academics/communications/journal/wp-content/uploads/sites/153/2017/06/08_Kristen_Forbes.pdf

Granitz, N., & Forman, H. (2015). Building self-brand connections: exploring brand stories through a transmedia perspective. Journal of Brand Management, Vol. 22 No.1, pp. 38-59. 

Jin, S., Muqaddam, A. and Ryu, E. (2019). Instafamous and social media influencer marketing. Marketing Intelligence & Planning, Vol. 37 No. 5, pp. 567-579. https://doi.org/10.1108/MIP-09-2018-0375

Karanikolova, M. (2019). Fashion Influencers decoded. The role of social media influencers in luxury fashion houses development, marketing and PR strategies. Sapienza University of Roma. 10.13140/RG.2.2.33045.88807. 

Nandagiri V., & Philip L. (2018). Impact of influencers from instagram and youtube on their followers. International Journal of Multidisciplinary Research and Modern Education. Vol 4 No. 1, pp. 61-65.

Shen S., Kuo C., & Ly P. (2017). Analysis of social media influencers and trends on online and mobile learning. International Review of Research in Open and Distributed Learning. Vol 18, No 1, pp 208 – 224.

2 responses to “A1 – METPodcast – A Brief Analysis of Social Influencers”

1. julia underwood

Thanks for reposting this. I recently provided an article to my students about CGI instagram influencers (from Newsela) that had been adapted from an article by USA today. The original article can be found at: https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/2019/10/16/cgi-influencers-blur-line-between-reality-and-fantasy-instagram-advertising/3790471002/. I thought that this might expand upon our understanding of how technology is influencing even influencers.

2. LINDA ZHAO

Carlo’s podcast was very informational and thought provoking. I enjoyed the clear breakdown of topics, and the podcast helped define who influencers are and why people follow them. I especially liked Carlo’s analysis of social influencers’ role in brand marketing and people find their “electronic version of word of mouth” more credible and trustworthy. Carlo’s point about the credibility of influencers near the end of his podcast really caught my attention. He pointed out that many health-related influencers have no formal background on nutrition or health, yet they have so many followers who change their habits based on what they post.
    I think influencers are very successful at grabbing people’s attention and conveying information in an aesthetic way, thus making them an important part of mobile culture. They are really good at utilizing the power of storytelling by sharing snippets of their lives. Having good information is no longer enough. People expect nice looking, eye-catching, and succinct information.