A1: Mobile Literacy – eBooks & AudioBooks

Originally Posted By Carri-Ann Scott on February 10, 2019

My focus for this assignment was mobile literacy, particularly eBooks and their AudioBook cousins.  I am interested to see if, as an educator, I can use the fact that my students are already tech-savvy in Kindergarten to get them hooked on reading and what benefits the advent of eBooks and then AudioBooks will have on their learning.

With a 6-minute time limit, this is really just an introduction.  I would love to investigate this further.

I hope you will also find a little bit of entertainment value in the audio recording.  My goal was to add a bit of humour to a somewhat dry presentation.

REFERENCES:

Abram, Stephen. (2010). P-books vs. ebooks: Are there education issues? For the first time in my professional life, I see a huge, complex debate about the future of learning, libraries, and content involving more stakeholders than ever before, possibly in history.(THE PIPELINE). Multimedia & Internet@Schools, 17(6), 13-16.

Audio Publishers Association. (2019). Sound Learning. Retrieved February, 2019, from https://www.audiopub.org/sound-learning

Biancarosa, & Griffiths. (2012). Technology Tools to Support Reading in the Digital Age. The Future of Children, 22(2), 139-160.

Ciampa, K. (2012). Electronic Storybooks: A Constructivist Approach to Improving Reading Motivation in Grade 1 Students. Canadian Journal of Education, 35(4), 92-136.

Deasley, S., Evans, M., Nowak, S., & Willoughby, D. (2018). Sex Differences in Emergent Literacy and Reading Behaviour in Junior Kindergarten. Canadian Journal of School Psychology, 33(1), 26-43.

Gray, H. Joey, Davis, Phillip, & Liu, Xiao. (2012). Keeping up with the Technologically Savvy Student: Student Perceptions of Audio Books. Schole: A Journal of Leisure Studies and Recreation Education, 26(2), 28-38.

Herther, Nancy K. (2011). Ebooks everywhere: The digital transformation of reading. Searcher, 19(6), 22-31.

Rowe, A. (2018, September 04). Audiobooks Are Officially The Publishing Industry’s 2018 Trend. Retrieved January, 2019, from https://www.forbes.com/sites/adamrowe1/2018/08/31/audiobooks-are-officially-the-publishing-industrys-2018-trend/#663cad865e8f

One response to “A1: Mobile Literacy – eBooks & AudioBooks”

1. Michael Saretzky

Honestly, I would consider myself more of a traditionalist when it comes to books. I have tried to read books digitally, even when I first started the MET program I used to print out the readings for each course. I tend to have a difficult time getting drawn into the book. However, in my last course, we had a very interesting ebook on developing video games, which I managed to get more into. Even with audio books I have struggled, my wife and I used to drive to Vancouver Island from the Kootenays and we would listen to Harry Potter, but we would need to redo to parts as our conversation would interrupt to reading. Although I have recently started listening to podcasts, which one could argue is an audio book of an opinion piece you may have previously read in a magazine or newspaper.

I was interested with this post, as I was curious how our young readers are with digital books, as my daughter, who is 6, has been doing a mixture of traditional books and digital with Raz-Kids. Although I do not believe this video within this post answers the question, Carri-Ann provides a lot of positives for digital books, and even covers some of the negatives. Despite the fact that I may be more of a traditionalists, as the video discusses ebooks or audiobooks may be a resource that is more desired or attainable for our students, which is what matters.