A1 Assignment: The Gig Economy

Originally posted by christopher wong on February 9, 2019

For my A1 assignment, I chose to focus on the Gig Economy.  I have made a website and podcast which can be found here:

https://sites.google.com/view/etec523-gig-economy/home

The website works well on mobile devices and a podcast covering the same material can be accessed from the first page for those who would prefer to listen rather than navigate a website.  Apologies for going over the word count and 6 minute limit, as I should have chosen to focus on a narrower segment of the gig economy but I hope you find the information and resources useful as a framework for delving more into the topic.

Thanks!

Chris Wong

P.S. – (Included below is a review that was given to the original posting) – James

One response to “A1 Assignment: The Gig Economy”

1. James Seaton

I think that Christopher does a really good job of outlining what the gig economy is, and the societal impacts it has had. When I reflect on the gig economy, I think back to the ways in which it has drastically changed my own life, and how much my smartphone was a part of that process. I tutored for about a year and a half while my wife completed grad school in Halifax, and the only reason I was able to build such a strong client base (as an independent contractor, or IC as Christopher abbreviates it) and keep to tight schedules, was because I could post ads, update schedules, and quickly contact clients using my phone. I had a website that clients would access in order to view my schedule, which updated in real time as I made appointments. They would send me requests, I would digitally “pencil them in”, and it would then show that time blocked off for my client. Having that revenue stream was absolutely crucial for us at that point in time in our lives, and I can’t underscore the importance my smartphone played in the process.
    Christopher also does a really good job of talking about the differences between skilled gigs and those requiring a lower barrier to entry. The way that the gig economy is able to provide an alternate revenue stream, in particular to those with specific skills, has the potential to drastically change the way that many people find their livelihoods in the future. Changing the way we work, and where we need to be in order to do our work, is a game changer culturally, as far as I’m concerned.