A3: Using mobile devices in exams

Originally posted by Kristie dewald on March 24, 2019

In my future cast, I am proposing an app that would lock down mobile device functions to limit them to an app or apps as permitted by the instructor.  Although such functionality exists, for example, with parental controls (ie. Guided Access on iphones), I’m proposing an app that could be used widely across an entire group of students.

( Average Rating: 4.5 )

3 responses to “A3: Using mobile devices in exams”

1. Nicole Kenny

In a mobile world, the ability to utilize mobile content and improve a student’s (child or adult) ability to find and interpret information is vital for their future success. Incorporating the use of mobile technology into exams or training programs is a great way to also help those with learning disabilities that may make memorization more difficult. Certainly, there needs to be boundaries in place, but ultimately I believe there could be an increased engagement in learning where you focus on learning rather than memorizing.

2. Pascaline Natchedy

I think Kristie came up with an interesting suggestion. Many teachers complain about students being off-task or distracted because of their mobile phones. The idea of having a lock down app could certainly help keeping students on task. I also like the idea to lock down specific apps but still allow students to browse the internet when they need information pertaining to the lesson. I found her quite convincing with her arguments about letting students use their phones during an exam. With this specific app, students don’t have to memorize facts and details. They can instead focus on using higher thinking skills to analyze and synthesize information.

3. tyler graham

Something like this would be great. I know as a French teacher I want my kids to have access to their phones so as to be able to look up quickly all sorts of grammar and vocab. But when they’re also then seeing notifications for Snapchat and Instagram and the like it becomes quite a problem indeed. I’d love something that would allow the kids access to like three different apps during the class and nothing else.