A1- Why Does Pokémon GO Still Matter?

Hi all. In my A1 Analytical Publishing Project, I reviewed some research and implementation of Pokémon GO, a game that had been launched four years ago. The reason why I select this “old” game is because I believe this game represented a possibility of future education. I borrowed James Gee’s (2015) idea of how good video game prepare players’ high order skills for their life in real world. I argued that the mobility feature of Pokémon GO bridges the virtual and real world which makes learning more meaningful.

Here is the link: Why Does Pokémon GO Still Matter?

Hope you like it. Please comment and let me know what you think about this idea.

12 responses to “A1- Why Does Pokémon GO Still Matter?”

1. Katlyn Paslawski

Hello Yi,
    Thanks for sharing your presentation. You offered a great reminder about the possibilities for technology and where education could be heading. I know a few people who still play Pokemon Go fairly frequently even after 4 years, and they are adults. It is interesting to think about why Pokemon GO isn’t as popular as the summer of 2016, there are many trends in technology that come and go. Even super cool apps such as Pokemon GO loose their spark after a little while. What are your suggestions for why Pokemon GO isn’t all the craze?

1. Yi Chen

This is a very late reply but thank you for your question. Pokemon Go, so far, is still a very successful game. I agree with you that no game can keep on fire forever. From my understanding, Pokemon is a significantly successful and popular IP that millions of people have at least heard about it. The amaze of this game is how it has merged the virtual animal with real environment which make many Pokemon fans’ dream come true (such as me). However, leisure players may lost their interest fairly quickly because the core mechanic of this game requires actual hard work to be a “successful trainer”. Many players left this game because they are not “hardcore” enough, which is normal.

2. Jamie Ashton

Hi Yi,

I loved that you foregrounded “practicing high order thinking in a situated learning environment with fun.” I think this is such an important part of education that really deserves more attention.

A quick question:
    You stated that “By moving physically in the real world to encounter with graphical creatures: Pokémon, this game encourages players to practice the skills of using resources wisely, being patient, exploring the unknown and interacting with virtual and real circumstances simultaneously.”
    Now, I agree with this, but there were also many instances where people did not successfully interact with both the real and virtual worlds, often ending in injury. Selfie deaths are even a thing now. Do you think there need to be elements to the game that teach individuals to be better at living in these blended worlds, or is that something one should learn from outside of the parameters of the game?

Curious to hear more!

J

1. Yi Chen

Thank Jamie for the question, great question in deed. Sorry for the late reply.

I don’t think it is game’s primary responsibility to teach people how to live and social with others better, on the contrary, many players learn how to be a better person by playing games. Digital games, especially online games, are actually creating different kind of reality (virtual reality) that extend the way people interact with each other. More and more research in psychological arena support that video games do not barrier people from being involved into face-to-face interaction, those who have social problem have had the problem before they play games.

Commercial games don’t teach players to learn anything, players learn things when they are playing games or contacting with people to improve their skills. For example, new players in online game will learn how to be a better players because when they behave toxically, they will soon be reported or banned by other players. The game will end soon.

1. Jamie Ashton

Hey Yi,
        An even later response! I really appreciate the perspective you’ve offered here, and the boundary you’ve set about the responsibilities of games. The fact that “players learn things when they are playing games” is really the crux of it, and you’ve highlighted it well.

Thanks for this development of the conversation 🙂

3. Mel

Yi, thanks for the analysis of Pokémon Go, its educational potential, and mobility in games. It’s a truly groundbreaking cultural and gaming phenomenon.

I remember the summer of 2016 very well because I would ride my bike (slowly, to try to hatch eggs) to Toronto’s waterfront to head toward the Jack Layton Ferry Terminal because there were a ton of PokeStops in that area. Everyone else figured this out, too, and eventually there were hundreds if not thousands of people crowding the area, chatting with friends and strangers, and walking the short distance between the stops. At first, there was a fun energy in the air, but then it got too crazy – the grass was destroyed and there was litter everywhere, and there were so many people in that area that those who needed the ferry had a hard time getting through the crowds. Toronto eventually petitioned Niantic to get rid of those stops.

As an avid nature enthusiast, I wish people would get as excited about “capturing” new flora and fauna in nature as they did capturing the fictional flora and fauna in Pokémon Go. The Seek app is iNaturalist’s attempt at this, but it’s not the same.

1. Yi Chen

Hi Mel. Thank you for the reply and sorry for the late reply.

You feel excited about natural flora and fauna because you value them. Other people, like me, feel excited about collecting digital animals in game because we value these digital creatures. The reason we value an object is because we want to prove what we are doing is meaningful. It doesn’t matter whether people like real or virtual things and I believe the virtual world is not less valuable than real world. The good thing is those who have never got any chance to fell in love with natural plants, they at least have another chance to have something to love. It makes their live better.

4. adrian granchelli

I love AR and all its potential and you are right, few games actually promote mobility. I’m excited for what comes next in this arena

I tried out another interesting AR app since Pokemon Go which is to be used while running and provides a storyline during your runs. It tracks your distance and telle the story based on how much distance/time there’s left in your run. Sometimes there are zombies ‘chasing’ you and you need to pick up up pace.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sixtostart.zombiesrunclient&hl=en_us

1. Yi Chen

Hello Adrian, thank you for sharing. Looks like a good example for gamifying our daily life.

5. JamieTooze

Great presentation Yi Chen! Your point about how, Although “it is the fourth year since Pokémon GO had been launched.. and we have never seen a second game that can extend its impact beyond the game arena like Pokémon GO. It is a game that was ahead of its era.” I agree we have not seen any game that has such an impact on AR gaming. I do however think Minecraft Earth will be an serious contender.

Check this out.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpGeIzYSAnU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIuZQycx0CQ

Jamie

1. adrian granchelli

Thanks for sharing Jamie, wow Minecraft Earth is neat!

2. Yi Chen

Thank you for sharing Jamie. I have downloaded Minecraft Earth on my phone for a while, but haven’t tried it yet. It looks really neat, I will definitely try it.