Introduction – DeeDee Perrott

Hi everyone! My name is DeeDee Perrott and I am currently working on my fifth and sixth courses in the MET program. I teach secondary science at a online/outreach school in Sherwood Park, Alberta. I was lucky to start teaching there 3 years ago when the school was first opened and it has been exciting to be part of starting and growing a program. All of our students take their courses through Canvas and in non-Covid times we have a centre where students can work in person. Mobile learning is extremely important in our program as students are able to complete their courses through a Canvas app on their phones and tablets.

With a house full of boys, life is never dull. We keep busy camping, hiking, skiing as a family and running around to music, dance, basketball and hockey.

I am really looking forward to learning with and from you all this term.

7 responses to “Introduction – DeeDee Perrott”

1. loveleen kour reen

Hi DeeDee. With your experience in using learning management system, Canvas, I am looking forward to learning from you. Your school has made a great leap in introducing students to this platform as this will help them immensely.They will have the smooth transition with least technical challenges once they go the universities.

2. jennifer riego

Hi DeeDee,

I am looking forward to working with you again this term:) I think it’s great that in your school, the courses are provided through Canvas and there is also a centre to provide additional face to face support. I think you will bring the insight, to the course, of the components of mobile/online learning that may need extra support, and what that support looks like.
    Good luck this semester!

Jen

1. DeeDee Perrott

Hi Jen,

So nice to be in class with you again! Looking forward to hearing your perspectives on mobile learning. Hope you have been enjoying lots of walks with your pup.

3. janice roper

Hi DeeDee,

I’m looking forward to the perspective that you will bring to this course. Although I know this year has been tough for everyone, your school must have been better prepared than many for 2020.

1. DeeDee Perrott

Janice,

It most definitely has been a tough year. We were lucky in our district to have a head start on developing our online programs as it allowed us to support the regular schools in the district transition to online learning with Canvas in the spring.

4. kelvin nicholls

Hi DeeDee,

I am glad to find myself in another course with you because I always appreciate your educational insight. I look forward to hearing about your perspectives of mobile learning since you are actively engaged in that world during your day-to-day role as an educator. I am curious if you know how many of your students are using mobile devices to access your content?

Regards,

Kelvin

1. DeeDee Perrott

Thanks Kelvin. It is great to see familiar faces in this course! You asked a great questions that I do not know the answer to but I am going to find out! I am guessing at the high school level it is a fairly large percentage that are completing some portion of their courses on their smartphones. I am going to send out a google form to ask students about their mobile usage. I know there will be other important questions that will come up as we get started in the course that I will want to ask the students at the same time that will help me improve my course design. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

DeeDee