Mobile Technology, Frictionless Learning and Global Citizenship

This post is about what could be.

Above is a PDF article from the Social Studies Review, published in 2018. I found it during my last class ETEC 500.

Yes, it’s a PDF.

Yes, it’s from 2018/2019.

Yes, I have some reservations about VR. I don’t feel it’s frictionless nor do I think it’s mobile.

Why is this article important to me? It’s important to me as a jumping off point.

At the heart of this article is using technology to increase global citizenship. Having students virtually experience global issues. Awesome.

Let’s jump off from there and imagine students doing frictionless learning with mobile technology, on the go, in their local context, personalized to their purpose, and place. And they are using this tool to learn the habits of mind to design solutions to local and global problems, thus making the world a better place. They are not just receiving information, but applying skills and understanding to the local and global issues they identify with their mobile device. The tool is a combination of AR and Experience Design https://blogs.ubc.ca/etec523/2021/01/06/experience-design-2/ to integrate local surroundings into your phone with your design purpose for solving the problem you are viewing. They tag their solutions based on location, place and purpose and share them with other users. And all their solutions are portfolioed so as to be given to a future employer/school as proof of dynamic, responsible citizenship and design thinking and problem solving.

Learning outcomes for the grade and purpose could be accessed.

Similar problems and solutions from other users could be accessed.

Content learning needed to support the design of solution could be accessed.

Mobile, Frictionless learning with student as problem solver to make the world a better place.