Just-In-Time Learning: Walk Me

“Tell me and I forget, teach me and I may remember, involve me and I learn.”

Benjamin Franklin

In my time in the software education field, I have come across many tools for training. The training solutions are unlimited and can include: videos, eLearning, guides, help file articles, and more. With this being said, I would love to introduce you all to a tool called “Walk Me” the “Just-in-time” learning solution that teaches customers/learners on the job as they are going through their daily activities.

“Just-in-time learning, also known as just-in-time training, is a method of training employees in which they receive their training right at the moment it is needed to do the job at hand.”

Miller, B. (2017, November 8). What Is Just-In-Time Learning? Retrieved from HR Daily Advisor: https://hrdailyadvisor.blr.com/2017/11/08/just-time-learning/

For example, a learner may complete many eLearnings or watch many videos for using Adobe, however, it is only when they download Photoshop and try it out that they realize how complex a tool it is. Have you had any similar experiences?

When reviewing the Walkme Blog, I came upon the post “5 TRENDS SHAPING THE FUTURE OF ONLINE TRAINING SOFTWARE” which summarizes all the benefits of Walkme, while aligning it to many learning standards. Walkme is downloaded into a product and gives you helpful instructions as it guides you through one process to another, and best of all, in the end, you have actually completed the task you wanted to do! You have your end result, whether that’s creating a great graphic, or creating your first gif. Now I know this tool may not be helpful in every case scenario, however, as a software training professional and user, I see this as the future of software training.

As opposed to the hours spent learning new software, imagine the time saved when the software has training within it guiding you through all your tasks. It is like Microsoft’s Office Assistant “Clippy” only better, and less creepy.

( Average Rating: 4.5 )

7 responses to “Just-In-Time Learning: Walk Me”

1. loveleen kour reen

Hi Emma,

WalkMe app seems to be quite effective when using an application software. An alternative to WalkMe is WhatFix which is also a very popular app and has a high rating. It provides users with effective training, user onboarding and performance support for different application softwares.

Here is the link:

The Leading Digital Adoption Platform | Whatfix

1. emma pindera

Thanks so much for sharing that Loveleen! I look forward to learning more about Whatfix!

2. janice roper

Just-in-time and contextualized learning make so much sense for new software. Having trained users on multiple software programs, and when learning products myself, the issues are always the same – overload of information that is not recalled in the moment when it’s needed. The website platform that I have learned this past year (Finalsite) has a large, searchable knowledge-base and short tutorials that provide just-in-time learning. A program that is able to provide a more seamless learning experience as it’s required is an exciting innovation. I am happy to learn a bit about WalkMe and look forward to exploring it further.

1. emma pindera

Hi Janice, thank you so much for your comment, and I look forward to learning into Finalsite! I’m always interested in seeing “Just-in-time Learning” done well!

3. lyndsay barrett

This is an incredibly useful tool! I can see it having relevance in a number of topics discussed in this course

1. Accessibility of education through improved technological literacy.
    2. Learning by doing is the be-all, end-all
    3. Walkme’s descendants will likely have an important place in the AR-in-education worlds we’ve so vividly been imaging the last few weeks.
    4. No nightmare clipart.

Thanks for posting!

1. emma pindera

Thanks Lyndsay! I hope it will be useful to others as well! I have used it in the past, and have found it incredibly helpful both as a user and as a trainer. It makes all tasks a lot easier!