Twitch : Live Streaming

Twitch started out as a site where gamers could live stream their play and has grown to a community that hosts music (I just watched a live Q&A with The Head and the Heart) and other live events. Successful streamers with elaborate green screen set ups have monetized their game play through subscriptions, tip jars and merchandise growing a multibillion dollar business of watching others play videogames. Through the Twitch app on a mobile device, content can be viewed anywhere, anytime and there is constantly something that is being live streamed.

Culturally, it is a place where many gamers have found a sense of community and connection. In some of the streams I watched there were thousands of viewers and ongoing conversation between the host and participants.  The chats sometimes also go beyond the game itself to discussion of personal issues and struggles. It is far from a perfect community and many have reported issues due to a lack of moderators in chats where often there are racist and other inappropriate comments. With Twitter and Facebook starting to make improvements in regulating hateful or dangerous content, it will be interesting how Twitch responds to the problems.

Reference:

https://www.theguardian.com/global/2019/sep/08/how-did-twitch-become-as-big-as-youtube-by-live-streaming-video-game-players

4 responses to “Twitch : Live Streaming”

1. lyndsay barrett

On the topic of Twitch, it’s worth mentioning that Games Done Quick, run live on Twitch and then posted on YouTube, is the largest fundraiser globally for both Doctors Without Borders and the Prevent Cancer foundation.

Each year, Games Done Quick runs two multi-day fundraisers were speedrunners (people who play a video game incredibly fast. Empasis on “incredibly”) who are known to be the best at their game do a live speedrun and discuss how they do it. People donate throughout, to be entered into prize draws, to see speedrunners attempt a difficult task, or to alter the plot of a game. The events have raised over $28 million for the two charities mentioned above. It’s an excellent example of mobilizing people and community-building through mobile technology.

2. kelvin nicholls

Hi DeeDee,

I appreciate that you have pointed out an important evolution in the culture around Twitch and it’s consumers. Being a consumer of Twitch content for some time now, I have found this evolution to be fascinating. The biggest thing that I see from my own consumption of Twitch content is this need for connectedness and how streamers and consumers have found a way to use the chat function to meet this need. I have been a part of conversations around everything from current events, to financial discussions around mortgage rates, all while watching someone play a video game. Yes, as you have stated, the moderation of chat in Twitch continues to be a problem and there are definitely “trolls” out there who enter Twitch chats to sabotage and infuriate, but take that out of the equation and Twitch has become a thriving and connected community.

What really stands out to me around this topic is the idea that this kind of platform is “living” in some way and thus continues to evolve to meet the needs of it’s consumers. This potential of evolution and adaptability is possibly one of the reasons that keeps the consumer coming back. I am also curious to see what the future of Twitch will be, and how it will continue to evolve to meet the needs of it’s 15 million unique daily viewers.

1. DeeDee Perrott

Thanks for your perspective as a regular user. I will admit I hadn’t heard of Twitch until I took the Digital Gaming class this past summer. Do you think there has been a significant change in the chat content or increased participation since COVID? I listen daily to a local news Podcast that is made live on YouTube daily. The chat is a constant stream of posts throughout the entire two hour broadcast and I wonder if there would be the same level of engagement if it was pre pandemic.

1. kelvin nicholls

I have definitely seen an increase in viewers and chat participants since COVID. I also think that due to COVID, a lot of Twitch consumers who are working from home have it on in the background, so there is a consistent and constant participation from these consumers. But, without any hard statistical evidence, I would be curious to know exactly how much viewership has changed since COVID. And also, if there is an increase in viewership, has this increase changed the culture around Twitch, it’s content creators, and it’s consumers?