3 responses to “Hack your phone!”

1. philip pretty

Hi Sean, I agree with you regarding accessing the utility of the smartphone, rather than clutter the wallpaper with additional apps. As Brittany mentioned the sheer computing power of the phone alone has the potential to afford additional functions rather than being merely a very expensive gaming device. A few unique features I have used in the classroom have been the measuring featuring of the iPhone in a MAth 10 class on measurement. We had a group use the phone and another group use tape measures and we compared and contrasted the methods and the measures. Another unique use of the smartphone was in Introductory Photography. I was teaching students about shutter speed and they used the flashlight while keeping the shutter open in a dark room to basically write and draw with light. One student deadpanned when asked how they made the light red, ” I used my blood”, which is to say they merely shine the right through a fingertip. The bottom line is, we need to be creative with the built in features. Many of us hardly explore the potential capabilities of the smartphone as were probably too busy texting or scrolling.

2. BrittanyHack

I agree with you Sean. With so many features on one’s smartphone who knows what one can create with these useful and simple hacks. For my first post this week, I had to tinker with recording a short story mode lesson for Duolingo. When I asked my boyfriend how to do it, he said you will likely have to download an app. I thought, are you kidding me? A device with over half a TB does not do this? Just a moment. I looked up the simple hack and sure enough the record screen function was already built into the phone. Now I am monkeying around with what else I can do. If will be fantastic if I can record and add graphics to my A1 presentation entirely using my smartphone, which is why I have ensured to space my time out to do so incase I need to move to plan B.

3. LoriMeville

Hi Sean. I absolutely agree that there are more tools in a Smartphone that could be leveraged for education. The compass and the level are already on almost every mobile device and could be applied to any number of math and science learning opportunities. Think about combining an AR distance measuring app with the level used as a clinometer and you have the tools to find the height of a building or a tree in an applied trigonometry lesson. My instructor for an avalanche training course last winter pulled out his phone to measure the temperature, the slope of the mountain face we were on, and the direction of the slope aspect, and within minutes everyone in the course had figured out how to do the same. Of course, there’s the concern about battery life of a Smartphone in cold weather, but what a great example of experiential learning.